Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Deficit = Hunger ?

13»

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    makingmark wrote: »
    I think there is a difference between actual hunger and perceived hunger. I always used to think I was hungry, but I don't think that was true hunger, it was habit or maybe boredom. Now that I have had a few weeks of planning what and when I eat I find that what I may have previously attributed as hunger really isn't. I am not in a state of being sated, but I am not hungry.

In my opinion, they are one and the same.

See the chart i posted on page 1.

Part of physical hunger starts to cause thoughts about food. The hungrier your get the more your thoughts drift to food.

If it's boredom or habit, then the symptoms shouldn't even register on the hunger chart at all.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    sloth3toes wrote: »

I dieted for a bodybuilding show. I was allowed to eat as much of certain veggies (basically, the low cal ones) as I wanted but I was on a severe cut. I was hungry a lot. There were times when pure volume just didn't cut it. There are other factors to satiety as well.
    Eating more volume helps, yes, but there can be other factors.

I thought OP meant an overall feeling of hunger, like having eaten your meal and still feel hungry. Or going to bed feeling hungry.
    My overall strategy is to wait until I feel actual hunger then eat, but I've also done the numerous smaller meals to avoid getting hungry too.

I'm not exactly sure what I meant when I started the thread. Mainly I was asking if a feeling of hunger wasn't part of eating at a deficit. I should have know that we'd then have to define hunger. To me, it's the legit feeling that I'm hungry and feel as if I need to eat something.

I find it interesting that many of the replies refer to the calorie density of foods. Many of the replies seem to indicate that less calorie dense foods allow much more volume, which should fill a person up more. Some, seem to think that sometimes higher calorie dense foods are necessary for real satiety.

I think they are both important. My point was volume alone isn't always enough.
    As someone else noted, personal preference plays a role.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I think there is a difference between actual hunger and perceived hunger. I always used to think I was hungry, but I don't think that was true hunger, it was habit or maybe boredom. Now that I have had a few weeks of planning what and when I eat I find that what I may have previously attributed as hunger really isn't. I am not in a state of being sated, but I am not hungry.

Part of physical hunger starts to cause thoughts about food. The hungrier your get the more your thoughts drift to food.

If it's boredom or habit, then the symptoms shouldn't even register on the hunger chart at all.

I don't think we always recognize the physical symptoms though, I don't know if I ever truly allowed myself to get physically hungry. I just thought I was. Hunger isn't what I thought it was.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,097 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    That's what I thought was meant too, like always feeling hungry or feeling generally unsatisfied.

In my experience the bolded is important.

When I had to go low sodium no matter how much I ate I still wanted more. The food tasted bland and left me unsatisfied.

I think some people cut a lot of flavor out of their food when going low calorie leaving them with that still hungry feeling. I think the key is cutting calories without cutting flavor.

I have had to relearn how to put flavor back in my food while cutting both calories and sodium. It has helped with my satiety.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Yep. I mean, to me that's like asking, "are you really happy or do you just feel happy?" Just because there may be strategies other than what you felt like eating that could resolve that sensation, doesn't mean you didn't experience it
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    If a person is used to eating a certain number of calories to support their current weight... wouldn't it be natural for them to feel hungry, when they reduce that number to a deficit? Is it reasonable to tell people that they shouldn't feel hungry if they 'are doing this right?'

Quite simply. Shouldn't anyone eating at a deficit, naturally feel hungry?

@sloth3toes the answer is no in my case with my current macro of the last 1.5 years of 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats that manages my joint and muscle pain with out Rx meds.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    If a person is used to eating a certain number of calories to support their current weight... wouldn't it be natural for them to feel hungry, when they reduce that number to a deficit? Is it reasonable to tell people that they shouldn't feel hungry if they 'are doing this right?'

In my own case, I found that making a dietary adjustment to a lower calorie level by about 200 calories per day did not produce hunger. I also found that making a similar adjustment each week did not cause hunger. If you try to make a 1000 calorie drop from, say, supporting a 400 lb body to supporting only a 250 lb body in one day, you'll be very hungry and will overeat in compensation. If you slowly make small adjustments, your whole body adjusts painlessly.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats

I, too, enjoy chugging olive oil.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    fatfudgery wrote: »

No need to measure your oil or salad dressing, just slather it on? But what would be in the salad? :)
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

No need to measure your oil or salad dressing, just slather it on? But what would be in the salad? :)

More olive oil.
  • catherinekalberg
    catherinekalberg Posts: 18 Member
    No you can actually eat more food then you did before if you choose super healthy choices and include nutrient dense foods.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member

More olive oil.

"I'll have the olive oil salad with the oil and olive oil oilagrette, please. And can you drizzle some olive oil on that?"
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

6 tablespoons come from coconut oil daily for the medium chain triglycerides to replace calories lost when I when off sugar and all grains 1.5 years ago. Since leaving them off managed my pain in just 30 days I just keep eating this way. I like tuna packaged in olive oil. I just do not do any oils that comes from any form of grain.
  • MelodyandBarbells

More olive oil.

"I'll have the olive oil salad with the oil and olive oil oilagrette, please. And can you drizzle some olive oil on that?"

*snort!* :D
  • d777russell786
    d777russell786 Posts: 5 Member

This discussion has been closed.