Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Breakfast yes or no?

I'm not sure if this is really a debate so much as a personal choice, but I know there are disagreements among experts about whether eating breakfast assists in or inhibits weight loss.

Most of our lives, we've heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but there has been some more recent research on skipping breakfast that makes it sound a little more like fasting. When you fast for a day, your overall calorie intake is lower because you are never able to make up for those calories in the long run. Same with skipping breakfast.

However, for some, breakfast is essential for regulating appetite (and it's definitely important if you're doing a rigorous morning workout). I try to have a 400 calorie or lower breakfast (Ezekiel bread with something spread on top), but I used to skip breakfast, and I don't think I was that much worse for it.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I happened upon this a few days ago: http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/DietNutrition/56172?xid=nl_mpt_DHE_2016-02-13&eun=g436715d0r&utm_content=bufferd71f3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Basically, it's a new study supporting the idea that breakfast doesn't matter (or is personal preference).

I don't find breakfast matters much to my overall appetite (I'm a creature of habit and can adjust to different eating patterns), but I really enjoy breakfast and find it easier to get in the protein and vegetables I want if I eat 3 meals a day (sometimes with a snack). So I am definitely on the personal preference side.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    I never liked breakfast but started eating it based on all the "consensus" view that it was most important meal of the day. Reading post on MFP has changed my 20 year mindset but its now become a hard habit to "break." My new thing is to have my first meal when I feel hungry and I hope I'm able to reteach my body to wait till lunch as the first meal of the day. I have found, like the article the OP posted, that delaying he first meal leads to less overall calories for the day. For me, I eat a lot of small meals during the day. Delaying the first meal compresses the time between the meals and thus makes it less likely for me to feel the need to have something extra.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited February 2016
    I don't eat breakfast and find that if I do I get hungrier for lunch earlier and eat more than if I don't eat breakfast
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I don't eat breakfast and find that if I do I get hungrier for lunch earlier and eat more than if I don't eat breakfast

Same.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member

Same.
    +1. I am ravenous for dinner if all I can have in the morning is yogurt, coffee, a shake or some other "medicine on an empty stomach." You know that sinking feeling you get right after downing multiple pills without eating first? Um, yeah. That's me if I don't include at least a small piece of real food in the morning or for brunch.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I have a protein shake with fruit in the morning, because it's hard for me to get enough protein and produce in just two meals. I like the idea of IF and I've used it for weight loss, but I struggle to eat enough fruit, veggies and protein even with three meals daily. I don't think I could do it in one or two.
  • 94ditg
    94ditg Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    I think that breakfast helps the intake of nutrients. The fact that at the begginig of the day you are already on your way to achieving your set calories/nutrients etc. Also since it's the first meal of the day, it is (in my case) kind of a set time, unlike lunch or dinner that vary (like when you have to push lunch/dinner because of work/school/special events).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016
    I'm not sure if this is really a debate so much as a personal choice, but I know there are disagreements among experts about whether eating breakfast assists in or inhibits weight loss.

Most of our lives, we've heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but there has been some more recent research on skipping breakfast that makes it sound a little more like fasting. When you fast for a day, your overall calorie intake is lower because you are never able to make up for those calories in the long run. Same with skipping breakfast.

However, for some, breakfast is essential for regulating appetite (and it's definitely important if you're doing a rigorous morning workout). I try to have a 400 calorie or lower breakfast (Ezekiel bread with something spread on top), but I used to skip breakfast, and I don't think I was that much worse for it.

What are your thoughts?

challenge-accepted-barney-5619.jpeg

In all honesty, whether I eat 2x a day or 5x a day, my calories are the same. Albeit, I tend to gravity towards 3 because I like huge meals.

Oh and my typical breakfast is either a protein bagel with peanut butter, an apple and quest protein bar (work combo) or a 2 egg, 4 egg white omelet with peppers, onions, cheese, salsa, a side of bacon and another side (fruits, greek yogurt or anything else around the house)
  • BodayJohnnay
    BodayJohnnay Posts: 185 Member
    Eating breakfast *Kickstarts your metabolism* (speeds up) making you feel hungry sooner than if you skipped (depending if you are substituting with coffee etc)
    Would you get in your car to drive a mile or few with NO GAS? (no calories) I wouldnt.
    You need fuel to function, yes you will go into your body's store reserves for energy from fat but with skipping breakfast you aren't getting aminos (protein) to maintain and prevent (catabolism)muscle breakdown.

We work hard for muscle..Why would you want to lose it?

My .02 cents
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    I personally eat breakfast because my stomach becomes an acid bath if I don't. Like, it's physically uncomfortable. but I usually can get away with just having a slice or two of some whole-grain bread and I'm fine
  • psuLemon
    Eating breakfast *Kickstarts your metabolism* (speeds up) making you feel hungry sooner than if you skipped (depending if you are substituting with coffee etc)
    Would you get in your car to drive a mile or few with NO GAS? (no calories) I wouldnt.
    You need fuel to function, yes you will go into your body's store reserves for energy from fat but with skipping breakfast you aren't getting aminos (protein) to maintain and prevent (catabolism)muscle breakdown.

My .02 cents

Just to make sure I am reading this correctly, are you honestly suggesting that skipping breakfast makes you catabolize muscle mass?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I skip breakfast sometimes, it has not stopped my weight loss at all. Sometimes I just ain't hungry. I go with the flow.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited February 2016

My .02 cents

It doesn't kick-start our metabolism. Our metabolism is a 24 hour a day thing. It doesn't turn off or anything. I get sufficient protein and have no issues with muscle breakdown
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

My .02 cents

Your body works hard to make muscles, why would it skip the fat reserves that are there to act as... well energy reserves ... and just turn muscle tissue straight into aminos? The use of amino acids as fuel is mostly dictated by the amount of freely available amino acids you have, and usually your body would start with free floaters in the blood, followed by liver available ones, and finally breaking down muscle. Using aminos preferentially usually only happens when having fast digesting protein because there is no much ability to store protein as fuel for use as fuel later. If your body is low on freely available amino acids, it is liable to strongly down regulate using it as fuel.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I have always been unable to eat breakfast/food until almost lunch time - about 10:30 - 11:00 a.m., no matter when I ate dinner the night before. I still remember those standardized tests in school and teachers making everyone eat a snack before it started. ("You have to eat breakfast to do well on the test" - pu-leeze!) I would never eat mine and get in trouble for it! The few times I did just to shut the teacher up, I would become almost ill. My system is simply not ready for real food until almost lunch time.

With that said, I have trained myself to drink a small protein drink before the gym when I wake up at 5:00 a.m. I mix a scoop with cold coffee so I have the energy for the gym from the protein and a quicker muscle warm-up from the caffeine. With body inflammation from an auto-immune disease, I found that this helped me quite a bit. YEah, it is calories that could be counted as "food" but it is not a solid food and therefore my body handles it better. I have tried smoothies which is not a solid but nope, my body thinks it is solid food.

Bottom line - listen to your body and follow its cues ... there is no right or wrong answer - just the answer for yourself.
  • I say YES to first breakfast and YES to second breakfast.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    I go to the gym very early every morning, fasted.
    I could never make it through the day without eating something after working out, but it definitely is a personal preference situation.
  • BodayJohnnay
    psulemon wrote: »

My .02 cents

Just to make sure I am reading this correctly, are you honestly suggesting that skipping breakfast makes you catabolize muscle mass?

I need to interpret this Info a little more in detail and depth so nothing is taken out of context. If you starved yourself everyday from calories in general.. would you lose weight? Yes (health complications come into play as well ppl) You'd lose fat as well as muscle. So please don't interpret that any other way.
    I was talking of supplementation with aminos as example btw.

My .02 cents

It doesn't kick-start our metabolism. Our metabolism is a 24 hour a day thing. It doesn't turn off or anything. I get sufficient protein and have no issues with muscle breakdown

So when you eat a biiiig meal, you don't feel full? You just put a lot of calories in your body to breakdown.

So that isn't going to cause your metabolism to slow down a bit, making you feel tired? If that isn't the case, you have never eaten a big meal.
    Same goes for small meals. Think of your metabolism like building a fire...put little pieces of wood on the fire and it will burn efficiently...put Too much on and it will smother and burn it out.
  • psuLemon
    psulemon wrote: »

My .02 cents

I need to interpret this Info a little more in detail and depth so nothing is taken out of context. If you starved yourself everyday from calories in general.. would you lose weight? Yes (health complications come into play as well ppl) You'd lose fat as well as muscle. So please don't interpret that any other way.
    I was talking of supplementation with aminos as example btw.

My .02 cents

So when you eat a biiiig meal, you don't feel full? You just put a lot of calories in your body to breakdown.

So that isn't going to cause your metabolism to slow down a bit, making you feel tired? If that isn't the case, you have never eaten a big meal.
    Same goes for small meals. Think of your metabolism like building a fire...put little pieces of wood on the fire and it will burn efficiently...put Too much on and it will smother and burn it out.

Bro, your body isn't a fire.. smaller meals have NO impact on your metabolism, nor the ability to lose weight. Small frequent meals =/= increase fat loss or muscle preservation. And considering it takes over 72 hours with 0 calories to have any metabolic compensation, its an incorrect analogy.
  • BodayJohnnay
    Everyone is different. Find what works for you. More intense daily activities will require more fuel (calories) than someone sitting on their butt all day. What are your goals? Fat loss, strength gain, weight gain all have their own way to eat and train accordingly to achieve results with no plateau. I do not have any clients that eat or train the same. If you lose muscle by not providing protein for recovery and building, your metabolism will not be optimal. Plain and simple.
This discussion has been closed.