Bored Eating

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for bored eating? I'm chained to a desk for most of the day (besides a 1-hour lunch break) but I don't actually have enough to occupy 40 hours/week. Not nearly enough. And especially when the afternoon has been dragging on, it is so hard to resist the temptation of eating to pass the time. Any suggestions for what to do instead?? Again, can't leave the desk. And there's only so much Internet a person can look at.

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Ugh! I'm in the same boat. I work in Finance and work from 7-4:30, and don't GET a lunch. I eat worse during the week than I do on weekends.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    walk around your desk, get rid of the junk food then you cannot eat it
  • Raynne413

The problem is that I work in an open floor, no office, and there is junk food every where. Finance people have the biggest sweet tooth! And then there is all the free food that gets sent up here. *sigh*
  • Michal7361
    Michal7361 Posts: 25 Member
    Raynne413 wrote: »

The problem is that I work in an open floor, no office, and there is junk food every where. Finance people have the biggest sweet tooth! And then there is all the free food that gets sent up here. *sigh*

Yep, me too, both of these things. I even use my lunch break to go to the gym just so I have some get up time!
  • Raynne413
    Michal7361 wrote: »

Yep, me too, both of these things. I even use my lunch break to go to the gym just so I have some get up time!

Luckily for me, I have a Dr's note requiring that I walk at least 5 minutes every hour for health reasons (I had deep vein blood clots when I was 20), or I would never be allowed up. But G-d forbid that I'm off the desk longer than five minutes. My boss actually has a chess timer to time when I am off the desk if he is in a bad mood.
  • Michal7361

Luckily for me, I have a Dr's note requiring that I walk at least 5 minutes every hour for health reasons (I had deep vein blood clots when I was 20), or I would never be allowed up. But G-d forbid that I'm off the desk longer than five minutes. My boss actually has a chess timer to time when I am off the desk if he is in a bad mood.

WOW that is insane! I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I have horrible swelling in my calves from sitting all day and I try to get up at least every hour for 5 minutes. Mind if I add you? That way if one of us has a light bulb moment on this situation we can tell the other one!!
  • Raynne413

WOW that is insane! I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I have horrible swelling in my calves from sitting all day and I try to get up at least every hour for 5 minutes. Mind if I add you? That way if one of us has a light bulb moment on this situation we can tell the other one!!

Sure!
  • Raynne413

I just saw you are from Gulfport. I'm from Memphis!
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Tea!!! I've never really been a big tea drinker until this year, but it's helped with my cravings and boredom eating a lot. It really helps if you find a brand you like though, I've tasted some that were terrible but have finally found ones that I love (David's Tea, Mighty Leaf, Stash). I usually get ones that have no calories so I can indulge whenever I need to. Sometimes I'll add some local honey to it, or a splash of lemon. It has also helped with my water intake.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Have you told your boss you don't have enough work to do? I assume that would help with the boredom. Not that extra work is necessarily the cure.

When I worked in an office I was tempted all afternoon. I ate lunch around 12:00 and looked forward to my 2:00 coffee. Then I ate my snack (from home) at 3:00. Not a minute earlier for each. Then I just had to wait it out til the end of the end. Maybe you could assign a time for coffee /tea etc and a snack to look forward to?
  • abkesler
    abkesler Posts: 11 Member
    I had that problem at my last job. I was so bored and therefore so hungry!! I found a site to take some free online courses. Of course they didn't count towards a degree, but I found a couple I found interesting and it kept me busy enough to not snack! As an added bonus, I felt smarter! I'm a Mississippi girl too, add me!
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Tea!!! I've never really been a big tea drinker until this year, but it's helped with my cravings and boredom eating a lot. It really helps if you find a brand you like though, I've tasted some that were terrible but have finally found ones that I love (David's Tea, Mighty Leaf, Stash). I usually get ones that have no calories so I can indulge whenever I need to. Sometimes I'll add some local honey to it, or a splash of lemon. It has also helped with my water intake.

This is my go-to as well! When I'm watching tv I used to snack. Now, I just drink tea (no calories and I get my water for the day). There's dozens of flavors. It also helps me feel fuller (until I'm actually food hungry.)
    Best thing is to find something that works for you.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    You all have terrible bosses.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member

Tru dat! Once I got out a pendulum and asked my higher self questions. I wish I was kidding ....
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    StrongLife wrote: »

Tru dat! Once I got out a pendulum and asked my higher self questions. I wish I was kidding ....

At my last job it got to the point where I was telling my boss what my plans were rather than asking. Not a desk job though... More or less walking up and down hills all day and falling in giant mud puddles.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    I wish I had a good way to solve this, but I'm sort of in the same boat. My participation on MFP fluctuates depending on how busy I am and I've been on a lot in the last couple of weeks. (I don't check the forums at all at home.) It's one of the only websites besides The Weather Channel that our firewall won't block.

I do try and do leg stretches and exercises under my desk. They are pretty boring too, but they can help circulation in those days when you're glued to the chair.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    StrongLife wrote: »

At my last job it got to the point where I was telling my boss what my plans were rather than asking. Not a desk job though... More or less walking up and down hills all day and falling in giant mud puddles.

Ha! A mud puddle in my office would solve some things .... hmm
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    -Take up knitting or crocheting.

-They make some beautiful adult coloring books, I personally find coloring super soothing.

-Draw.

Write about your weight loss journey. Start a blog.

-SODUKO & word search and crossword Puzzles.

- Plot world domination.
  • Michal7361
    LushFix wrote: »
    -Take up knitting or crocheting.

-They make some beautiful adult coloring books, I personally find coloring super soothing.

-Draw.

Write about your weight loss journey. Start a blog.

-SODUKO & word search and crossword Puzzles.

- Plot world domination.

If I were at home and bored, I would TOTALLY do these things! I don't have this problem on the weekends. But I'm trying to imagine my boss catching me knitting or coloring...yeah that would not go over well. Thank you for the thoughts though! Particularly that last one...
  • Michal7361

I just saw you are from Gulfport. I'm from Memphis!

Haha then you understand the extra struggle of dieting as a Southerner ;)