Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Breakfast yes or no?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Not eating breakfast doesn't mean I'm starving myself smh. Meal timing is irrelevant. I eat enough calories I just later than breakfast
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Everyone is different. Find what works for you. More intense daily activities will require more fuel (calories) than someone sitting on their butt all day. What are your goals? Fat loss, strength gain, weight gain all have their own way to eat and train accordingly to achieve results with no plateau. I do not have any clients that eat or train the same. If you lose muscle by not providing protein for recovery and building, your metabolism will not be optimal. Plain and simple.

You are confusing calorie restriction (especially, extended periods of calorie restriction), supplementation and training, with the personal preference that is meal timing and frequency. MT/MF have 0 impact on any of what you are saying. If I eat 2500 calories (~20% less than TDEE), macros at 1g of pro and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass, the rest carbs and a workout that encompasses both weight training and HIIT.. it won't matter if I eat 2 meals a day or 6 meals a day, the results will be the same.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    I say YES to first breakfast and YES to second breakfast.

I find second breakfast often comes up short.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    senecarr wrote: »

Third breakfast owns all... In fact, that is my plan for tonight!
  • senecarr wrote: »

Which is why a snack after second breakfast before first lunch comes in real handy.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member

Which is why a snack after second breakfast before first lunch comes in real handy.

Elevenses?
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member

Don't forget elevenses. VERY important meal.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    I love breakfast. I could probably count on one hand how many times I've skipped it since I was a kid. For me, it is the most important meal of the day and if I don't eat within 20-30 minutes of waking, I'm dizzy and getting a headache. I also love breakfast for lunch or for dinner. Breakfast is Awesome.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    I personally love breakfast! I have been eating it every morning since I can remember.
    I do think it's personal choice, for some people it simply might not work, but I could not function without it!
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    I agree with those members that state breakfast is important. It doesn't have to be a large breakfast but at least get a good quality meal replacement shake or nutrition bar with sufficient protein.
  • jamkelly10
    jamkelly10 Posts: 5 Member
    If you skip breakfast your body craves to make up for these missed calories throughout the day, due to meeting energy demands of daily tasks I.e working, walking, cleaning and the simplest way to make up for skipping breakfast is snacking on junk food/higher calorie meals which results in weight gain.
    If your body 'gets used' to missing breakfast, you still won't have the optimal concentration/performance you would have if you were to eat breakfast.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    <--- yes it has resulted in weight gain ;) nah, I hardly have an appetite and my performance is fine
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    jamkelly10 wrote: »
    If you skip breakfast your body craves to make up for these missed calories throughout the day, due to meeting energy demands of daily tasks I.e working, walking, cleaning and the simplest way to make up for skipping breakfast is snacking on junk food/higher calorie meals which results in weight gain.
    If your body 'gets used' to missing breakfast, you still won't have the optimal concentration/performance you would have if you were to eat breakfast.

Have you got any sources to back up your claims?
  • shelbyfitpal
    shelbyfitpal Posts: 1 Member
    I think it's more of a mental thing for me. I grew up being made by my mom to eat breakfast. I held on to the habit as an adult. I still feel like I have to eat SOMEthing but it's usually just a boiled egg as I'm driving to the office, or a packet of OatFit once I arrive at the office. Lately, I try to wait until I've been at work for an hour to eat (around 10am) and then I don't feel as hungry at lunch and will eat a bit less.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Most of the time I eat something in the mornings. If I don't, it's because I've got a bigger meal planned later. I rarely ate breakfast as a kid, except on weekends, because I felt sleeping was more important than eating, moreso in high school because I had a 7a class.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    jamkelly10 wrote: »
    Really?
    I have been skipping breakfast for 2 years and have lost 50+ pounds and I lift/cardio in a fasted state. I guess I'm doing it wrong.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    I can't function without breakfast.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I prefer to wait it out so I can consume more later in the day.
  • badassbeaver
    badassbeaver Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2016
    I never eat breakfast except for a cup of tea. However I have seen how little energy my mom has now at the age of 70, she is super weak and would never eat breakfast. Lesson learnt.
    A very simple receipe I have found is to soak rolled oats overnight, cook them for 6 min in the morning.
    Take a bowl + one tsp brown sugar, raisins, apples, cinnamon and throw the cooked oats over it. Add bananas or other fruit if needed. End of story. Soooo tasty and you can eat as little or as much as you want per your calorie needs.
    I just use the oatmeal as a base in my bowl then top it with everything healthy.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    I think I would pass out if I didn't eat within the hour or less of waking up. I usually just get light headed & nauseated if its too long. On the rare occasion that I DON'T get food into mah belly, I end up ravenous & gorge when I DO get food.

As for overall calories, I end up eating most of my calories for breakfast and lunch and rarely anything after that. Only because am not hungry. So eating when not hungry is helping me to drop these last few pounds that have been hanging on.
This discussion has been closed.