Best way to combat sore muscles?

kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I'm not working out too intensely or even very frequently (working on doing more) but after I do anything in sore for days. For example I'll do some squats and lunges, and my glutes will hurt for about 5 days. If I lift some (fairly light, about 5lbs) weights my shoulders and back are extremely sore & I get a headache.

I'm sure it's mainly because I'm not active enough, but maybe there's more I should be doing?

I stretch my hamstrings, do a forward fold, and pull my foot to my bum. I also use Epsom salts in the bath when I'm sore, and use a heating pad on my shoulders sometimes when I have a bad headache. Maybe I'm just being a baby, but I'm uncomfortable & it makes me not want to exercise even though I like exercising.

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    stretch after, it gets easier when u're consistent. you have to push through even through ure sore
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Active recovery + foam roller = win!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Warm up as well as stretch, and take the time to cool down and stretch after. Get to know "good" pain and bad pain - does it ONLY hurt after the workout, or while you're working out as well? If it hurts while working out, build up slowly, and/or get someone to look at what you're doing in case there's something you need to adjust. If you have any weakness in a particular joint, you might need to look at support of some sort e.g. tape.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    You get used to it, it doesn't hurt sometimes at all after you've been training for a while..
  • foiensoi
    foiensoi Posts: 49 Member
    Do you eat anything before and after your workout?
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    If you're not consistently exercising then each time you do it's going to be a shock to the muscles involved and you're going to suffer afterwards. Consistency is key.
  • kiela64
    foiensoi wrote: »
    Do you eat anything before and after your workout?

I try to avoid being overly hungry or full beforehand, and if I feel famished after I'll eat something immediately.
    Snow3y wrote: »
    You get used to it, it doesn't hurt sometimes at all after you've been training for a while..
    mazdauk wrote: »
    Warm up as well as stretch, and take the time to cool down and stretch after. Get to know "good" pain and bad pain - does it ONLY hurt after the workout, or while you're working out as well? If it hurts while working out, build up slowly, and/or get someone to look at what you're doing in case there's something you need to adjust. If you have any weakness in a particular joint, you might need to look at support of some sort e.g. tape.

Ok by "warm up" do you mean like run for 5min? Sometimes I'm just going for a long walk, I'll stretch after about 5-10min, would that count? Or does a warm up have to be running?

I've stopped when things become too difficult/I'm straining or something hurts. But I am sore immediately after.

I'm careful with my knees because they've given me issues in the past year - what sort of taping do you mean? I only got tape on my knee when the kneecap was out of place, so I'm curious about the details. It seemed extreme/for injuries, but I would be interested in being as careful as possible.
    Active recovery + foam roller = win!

I will see if I can go for a walk or a swim today & see about the active recovery. I don't know anything about foam rolling though!

• kiela64
    UG77 wrote: »
    If you're not consistently exercising then each time you do it's going to be a shock to the muscles involved and you're going to suffer afterwards. Consistency is key.

I think you're right, this is a big part of it!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Yoga is awesome for the legs. I recommend the Butterfly and Half Butterfly stretches to get at your quads and glutes. Remember to hold the poses for a looong time...3-5 minutes. I used to be in agony after squats and now I barely feel them.

There's also some yoga for arms but I don't usually do it...instead I lift/work arms every other day instead of every day to help the muscle fibers recover.

My friend is a massage therapist so I get a great deep tissue massage every 2 weeks. I recommend that if your pain is chronic.
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    This has happened to me before, but not anymore. Yay! Main thing i did was stretch, stretch, stretch! Stretch before, during rest periods between sets, and after. I still get sore coz i try to push myself during my work outs but it's not too bad and normally goes after a day or two. But when i started and didnt think stretching was very important, i was so sore i couldnt even move properly and that lasted for a week!

In terms of gym time, i usually go 1-3x/wk for 1.5-2.5hrs depending on work commitments. It's not as often as i would like to go but 50hr wks with rotating shifts + 10hrs weekly commute wipes me and my motivation out.

Hope you get it sorted out and enjoy gym! Good luck!