Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Blood Type Diet- Is it for real or is it more diet hokum?

Replies

• icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    I'm not following any eating plan that tells me I shouldn't eat bacon. Nobody needs that kind of negativity in their life.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    zcb94 wrote: »
    That explains a lot!
    My blood type (O+) can digest protein and fat, but doesn't respond well to excess stomach acid, and will fatten up if they eat grain. We need to relax by working off stress. That's me to a T!

That's my blood type (as far as I know, since it is both of my parents' type). But, I have been a vegetarian for 22+ years and eat a lot of (whole) grain. In that time, I have gained and lost weight several times. Always eating pretty much the same foods, just in higher amounts during the gains and lower amounts during the losses. My parents are not vegetarians (lots of protein and fat there) and are both overweight. The only thing that is even remotely true for all of us is that we all have stomach acid issues. Which are probably more related to weight than to blood type. So I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day, but it is wrong a lot more often...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    zcb94 wrote: »
    That explains a lot!
    My blood type (O+) can digest protein and fat, but doesn't respond well to excess stomach acid, and will fatten up if they eat grain. We need to relax by working off stress. That's me to a T!

That's my blood type (as far as I know, since it is both of my parents' type). But, I have been a vegetarian for 22+ years and eat a lot of (whole) grain. In that time, I have gained and lost weight several times. Always eating pretty much the same foods, just in higher amounts during the gains and lower amounts during the losses. My parents are not vegetarians (lots of protein and fat there) and are both overweight. The only thing that is even remotely true for all of us is that we all have stomach acid issues. Which are probably more related to weight than to blood type. So I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day, but it is wrong a lot more often...

The "blood type diet" is akin to horoscopes or fortune cookies. Make some generalized, easily attributable statements and some people will find it believable enough to buy into it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I should make the AD&D diet. You roll D100 and consult the wandering food table to determine what food you will encounter for dinner.

Every time I roll a D100, it just rolls off the table. Can I roll 2d10 instead?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I should make the AD&D diet. You roll D100 and consult the wandering food table to determine what food you will encounter for dinner.

Every time I roll a D100, it just rolls off the table. Can I roll 2d10 instead?

I gave up on the d100 and just use percentiles. Same thing.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    edited March 2016
    Speak of horoscopes reminded me of this on an almanac app. I love it ...100%accurate for everyone 365 days a year:
    The stars and planets positions will not affect your life in any way.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Nice! :smile:

The Revised Blood Type Diet:

Do you have blood? Yes? Then you need to eat food.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited March 2016
    The Type O+ (Me) diet is so close to Paleo, it works for most people who will do well on Paleo anyway. If you avoid pork and avocados, etc., who cares? There's so much else to eat! I'm doing Paleo and avoiding nitrites, so missing most bacon is fine. Try nitrite/nitrate-free BEEF bacon...a real treat!

And as wetcoaster has said, most studies I've ever read are inconclusive and indicate that further clinical trials are needed to substantiate claimed benefits. That doesn't mean there is no validity, it just means that clinical studies are required.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    The Type O+ (Me) diet is so close to Paleo, it works for most people who will do well on Paleo anyway. If you avoid pork and avocados, etc., who cares? There's so much else to eat! I'm doing Paleo and avoiding nitrites, so missing most bacon is fine. Try nitrite/nitrate-free BEEF bacon...a real treat!

And as wetcoaster has said, most studies I've ever read are inconclusive and indicate that further clinical trials are needed to substantiate claimed benefits.

Avocados are one of the greatest foods on the planet, and there's really no reason to avoid them (unless you're crazy and don't like them :wink:).

That's the point.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    There's no reason to think it has any validity, lots of reasons to believe it does not, and it advises people to avoid foods and exercise that might be beneficial to them. For example, as a Type B, running and intense aerobic activity -- which I really enjoy -- is not supposed to be good for me. And my food restrictions include: corn, wheat, buckwheat, lentils, tomatoes, peanuts, sesame seeds, and, especially, chicken because "[c]hicken contains a Blood Type B agglutinating lectin in its muscle tissue. Although chicken is a lean meat, the issue is the power of an agglutinating lectin attacking your bloodstream and the potential for it to lead to strokes and immune disorders."

Since I'm not paleo, I quite like wheat and corn and legumes, enjoy tomatoes (especially in a salad or in a pasta sauce), and I eat a lot of chicken. To follow this advice for basically no reason would be absurd.

Plus, the whole Type B description is some weird fantasy of some warrior of the steppes or, as I like to think, a Dothraki. Kind of cool (and I actually quite like lamb and don't mind goat, which are the meats I am supposed to eat instead of chicken, probably while sipping on fermented mare's milk), but not actually relevant to my lifestyle, despite my Type B blood that supposedly makes me long to go ride and pillage.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    @lemurcat12 B+ here. I should go around telling everyone that I like lamb because I'm secretly part Dothraki now.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I have told this story here before. I was at a conference a few years back. One of the guest speakers was a naturaopathy doctor. She told the story of how she found this diet, it made so much sense, so she tried it out. Her blood type told her to eat a vegetarian type diet, avoid red meat, etc. She followed it and felt amazing. Her skin glowed, she dropped weight, people complimented her.
    Then during a conversation with her mother, she learned she was mistaken about her blood type. She was supposed to be eating the opposite diet, high in meat, etc.

@3dogsrunning that was funny but epigenetics (the placebo effect) can give results like that per new research.

blog.mindvalleyacademy.com/alternative-healing/scientist-show-subconscious-thoughts-can-cause-specific-molecular-changes-genes?utm_source=cm-blog&utm_medium=facebook-share&utm_campaign=mvablog-share
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    I have told this story here before. I was at a conference a few years back. One of the guest speakers was a naturaopathy doctor. She told the story of how she found this diet, it made so much sense, so she tried it out. Her blood type told her to eat a vegetarian type diet, avoid red meat, etc. She followed it and felt amazing. Her skin glowed, she dropped weight, people complimented her.
    Then during a conversation with her mother, she learned she was mistaken about her blood type. She was supposed to be eating the opposite diet, high in meat, etc.

@3dogsrunning that was funny but epigenetics (the placebo effect) can give results like that per new research.

blog.mindvalleyacademy.com/alternative-healing/scientist-show-subconscious-thoughts-can-cause-specific-molecular-changes-genes?utm_source=cm-blog&utm_medium=facebook-share&utm_campaign=mvablog-share

Epigenetics, the placebo effect? What? Neither epigentics nor placebo effect is going to influence your blood type.
    Epigenetics isn't the placebo effect, and most placebo effects aren't working through epigenetics.
    I'm afraid of quantum woo and crystal vibrations if I open that link.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Haha. I'm a+ and have had many blood transfusions a few being type o. So should I follow both a and o ;)
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    I don't know about weight loss but some people have certain foods that suit to them and some don't. I know I am new here and don't have any hard evidence but I've seen real life examples. Not blood related diet but a different diet than what their grandparents/parents were eating.

In my relatives- I've had family members who's grandparents/parents were vegetarians and the kids were non-vegetarians and suffered from health problems (not weight).

I've also come in contact with people who after eating certain kind of food claim that they feel like *kitten* or bloated and once they are off that specific food or avoid it-all is well.

It is said that if your family line has never consumed meat and one generation starts consuming - it could have an affect on health (Don't know how true it is) since genes/immune is different in structure especially consuming plant based and then meat consumption.

The most recent example I have is - one of my friend- she was average weight (not over weight) she had acne. She went of fried foods completely unless it's home-cooked and used coconut virgin oil. Her acne started to clear off. (I don't know what that was because only one factor changed. Maybe divine intervention? lol)

Also, I'm a believer of -the type of food that goes in our body -really does affect our body.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

Epigenetics has nothing to do with the placebo effect

And that "article" has nothing to do with either.

• sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Looked it up for fun I'm AB+.... I enjoyed how often they told me I was "rare" but felt like they got lazy and combined random sections of A and B (a few O "qualities") were thrown in there for good measure I.e. I have A's low stomach acid making it difficult to digest meat BUT ALSO have B's adaptation for that

Think the diet is likely junk but gave me a few entertaining moments on Google

The only thing I agreed with was its recommendation to avoid American Cheese because really that stuff is just weird
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    @lemurcat12 B+ here. I should go around telling everyone that I like lamb because I'm secretly part Dothraki now.

I think we should!
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    I was so confused about dothraki... I had to google.
    :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    I was so confused about dothraki... I had to google.
    :)

aBKzv9A_700b.jpg

All you need to know about Dothraki. <3