losing weight will make me look old???

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I look older now. By 5 years, at least. And I'm lucky because I still keep a bit of chubs in my face too.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I don't think that I look older because I've lost weight. Although my neck & under my chin is loose now from extra skin, so I think that is aging. I do think sometimes that I feel like I look older because I am comparing myself to the last time I was this thin & I *was* significantly younger then.

So, to clarify, I think that in my head I may look older to myself just because I *am* older =). In general, I don't think I do look much older even though my face is much thinner--it is one of the places I lose first. I dress better, not just in what I can fit into. I am happier & more confident, which makes me feel younger & hopefully look younger (or perhaps that's just wishful thinking).
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    My experience has been, yes it made my face look older as wrinkles became more noticeable. I am 45. My advice is to invest in a great moisturizer designed for our aging skin. My face is balanced out by my body looking more fit and younger, and the fact that I feel younger and healthier makes the wrinkles insignificant to me. I'm learning to wear them with pride ( but I will still fight them to the bitter end!!)
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Go look at the success stories, most of the older crowd generally looks younger.
  • iangelab
    iangelab Posts: 42 Member
    I am 46 and yes, there is a tendency towards looser skin when you lose weight and your not 20 anymore. I think that makes it more important to tone muscles and stay hydrated. I think I looked older when I was heavier and flabby, everything was just drooping-I thought this was an age thing but when I started working out again and dropping weight everything perked up... my neck might not be as taut, but overall I look younger. so I wouldn't worry too much. make sure you are moisturizing your skin daily, with good stuff, eat healthy-especially lots of fruit and veggies and stay hydrated!
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 407 Member
    I'm a 57 year old , with a 70 pound weight loss. Did my former fat self make me look younger? Who knows, who cares! In my opinion ( the only one that matters) my former self was a frumpy, none stylish, slow moving, diminished dynamic person. Today I feel like an elegant, sexy, stylish gazelle. Yes I have wrinkles, who cares!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    eileen0515 wrote: »
    I'm a 57 year old , with a 70 pound weight loss. Did my former fat self make me look younger? Who knows, who cares! In my opinion ( the only one that matters) my former self was a frumpy, none stylish, slow moving, diminished dynamic person. Today I feel like an elegant, sexy, stylish gazelle. Yes I have wrinkles, who cares!

:heart:
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    edited February 2016
    eileen0515 wrote: »

:heart:
    <3<3
    I'm 56 and I have to say, I LOVE your attitude! Maybe some of it will rub off on me.

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member

Exactly! For the convenience of those who don't use metric, I post in imperial as well :)

They don't consider making things more convenient for people who use the correct unit, ie metric. I post in metric as I figure they can convert it if they want to, much like I have to convert everything.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    trjjoy wrote: »

Exactly! For the convenience of those who don't use metric, I post in imperial as well :)

They don't consider making things more convenient for people who use the correct unit, ie metric. I post in metric as I figure they can convert it if they want to, much like I have to convert everything.

I'm in Australia, so I use Metric for everything. I guess it's an American site, so I respect their ways. If an American came on an Aussie site and kept using pounds, ounces, gallons etc it would be slightly annoying..
    I whip out my conversion calculator many times a day when visiting this site, if i can save someone the pain in the butt of doing that, then I will.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    trjjoy wrote: »

I'm in Australia, so I use Metric for everything. I guess it's an American site, so I respect their ways. If an American came on an Aussie site and kept using pounds, ounces, gallons etc it would be slightly annoying..
    I whip out my conversion calculator many times a day when visiting this site, if i can save someone the pain in the butt of doing that, then I will.

And it is much appreciated :smiley: Just makes reading quicker. If it's not a hassle for the poster I don't see an issue. And if it's written in stones or kgs... That's not a big deal for me either.
  • Suelle613
    Suelle613 Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2022
    Created by mistake
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Ok, this probably sounds weird, but someone mentioned the other day that when I lose all the weight I can expect to look old, as the fat is helping make me look younger! This is a scary idea coz I look a LOT younger than my actual 42yrs, as you can see from my photo. It was taken last year after a really nice haircut, on a rather nice, flattering angle (and I have lost some weight since then). I'm not particularly vain but I do like the confidence boost of being mistaken for up to 10 years younger brings me!

Please share your thoughts and experiences with this...

I've recently lost 13kg and I wish I had done it in my forties. In my forties, when I sucked my double chin up, it shrivelled to fit. Now I just have wrinkles that stay there. The skin is now too stretched and too lacking in elasticity.

Now is the best time to lose weight. Right Now. There will never be a better time. You are deteriorating year by year, and it's only when you lose something you realise you previously had it.

I doubt in your forties you'll have any difficulty with the skin pinging back into place. But at 52, I now am.
  • Suelle613
    Suelle613 Posts: 12 Member
    I'm so happy to see these comments. It thrills me to hear young women looking younger after weight loss. I am 70 years old and it's not the same, thinning when you are a senior. Skin loses it's elasticity and muscle mass, our tissues don't recover from the loss of sub cutaneous fat. It is a complaint from ladies my age that we look quite older. Wrinkles are more pronounced, jowls hang low lol and we develop this wobbly chicken neck. It is disappointing when we're trying to get healthier. Diet, exercise, physical exercises to prevent bone mass loss, regenerating week muscles and reversing the effects of rhumatism among other things. What I want to say is accept yourself as you are. You have improved your health, increased your strength and gained more stamina. I know that after a substantial weight loss. It takes about 6 months for your skin to plump up again and adjust to the fat loss. Be active, enjoy outdoor activities, get a dog to walk or have a baby to keep you jumping lol. Healthy is the word. not necessarily beautful. Keep smiling, your face will radiate and you'll look the best you've ever looked. I will embrace my wrinkles and cottage cheese thighs and allow mysef to be a little frayed along the edges. Good luck all in your own personal journey. I would like to hear from elderly women too.gru9si4uw8cf.jpg

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    In my experience, being overweight ages you, not losing the weight. I know being heavier makes me look older. When I was slimmer, I looked so much younger.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    When I'm heavier my face looks fuller. And better. When I first lost weight I overshot a bit and lost too much. And my face looked terribly ting and haggard. Not going there again.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    The only way I could envision this is that you may have 'looser' skin which may mimic the look of time/gravity on your skin?

Like...my stomach (particularly when I'm bending over at a 90 degree angle) and my bresticles don't look as 'young' as they used to but it's pretty minimal and I don't mind.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    IDK yet... I was 45 when I was at a healthy weight. Now 53... But I can tell you that I would rather have a few more wrinkles and be healthy and fit, then 53 with less wrinkles and be fat and unfit.

I guess, choose your battles... I prefer to fight the battle of the bulge ;)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    FGTisme wrote: »
    My experience has been, yes it made my face look older as wrinkles became more noticeable. I am 45. My advice is to invest in a great moisturizer designed for our aging skin. My face is balanced out by my body looking more fit and younger, and the fact that I feel younger and healthier makes the wrinkles insignificant to me. I'm learning to wear them with pride ( but I will still fight them to the bitter end!!)

This is what I have noticed with some friends who have lost weight in their 50s. They had facial wrinkling but it wasn't apparent prior to the weight loss as the extra tissue had "plumped up" the wrinkles and folds. It's not that the wrinkles were created by the weight loss, just that they lost the underlying support.