2»

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    edited February 2016
    Michal7361 wrote: »
    LushFix wrote: »
    -Take up knitting or crocheting.

-They make some beautiful adult coloring books, I personally find coloring super soothing.

-Draw.

Write about your weight loss journey. Start a blog.

-SODUKO & word search and crossword Puzzles.

- Plot world domination.

If I were at home and bored, I would TOTALLY do these things! I don't have this problem on the weekends. But I'm trying to imagine my boss catching me knitting or coloring...yeah that would not go over well. Thank you for the thoughts though! Particularly that last one...

Same here! Especially after asking my boss for a raise and point out ALL that I do. I can just imagine him walking by my desk when I've got my coloring book and crayons out. LMAO
  • SamanthaS257
    SamanthaS257 Posts: 1 Member
    When I had an office job I had the same problem in the afternoon, my trick was to freeze grapes (keep them in the freezer at work if you have one) and take them out when you need a snack, they are low calorie and it's takes forever to eat them because they are frozen
  • Itreadlightly
    Itreadlightly Posts: 87 Member
    Words with friends
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Make friends with the Alt and Tab keys. I'm at work right now, but guess where I'm posting! XD Seriously, though, if you have nothing extra to do or your work is so boring you're turning to snacking, find another way to distract your mind. If nothing else, write with a pen and paper. It looks like you're taking notes on what you're doing, and if your handwriting is bad enough, no one else can figure out what you're writing about.
  • tashadelima
    tashadelima Posts: 6 Member
    I used to bored-eat all the time, especially after work.

I normally eat breakfast around 7:30 am. During the day I've managed to curb hunger by drinking lots of flavoured teas with a little bit of milk, or just plain. My favourite types are: Earl Grey, Honey Lemon, Apple Pie tea, French Toast tea, and gingerbread cookie tea. I also buy a lemon to last me the week, and slice it into a big jug of water and drink it throughout the day. They always say that if you are feeling hunger pangs shortly after eating, you aren't hungry, you are actually THIRSTY. Keep drinking water all day - I drink 3-4 bottles (worth 4 cups of water per bottle-full), and tea. I eat a normal lunch around 12:30 pm and am able to feel full until I get home from work at 5 pm.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    This is an existence I know all too well. I drink a lot of water/tea, and then get to take bathroom breaks! I also: read MFP forums that often have nothing to do with me and read books on scribd.com (there's a small monthly fee but it keeps me entertained 8 hours a day, so to me it's worth it).

And chew gum. Can't eat donuts if there's already something in your mouth.
  • 0321MarineMom
    0321MarineMom Posts: 15 Member
    Write letters to elderly (generalized) drop off at nursing home to distribute to those that do not get mail...also can be done for hospital, VA, deployed military.
  • UnicornAmanda1
    UnicornAmanda1 Posts: 56 Member
    That sucks!! Hope you find a solution soon! A few other ideas are knitting/looming, word searches, crosswords, read, bring healthy snacks, gum or lollipops... Bring some cut up veggies and fruit.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Hello fellow desk jockies! I'm with you on the bored eating! I have a cup full of raw almonds, and when I'm bored-hungry I'll eat one or two. Usually my brain is just looking for that satisfying crunch. Also, check with your boss and see if they'll allow a standing desk? A few coworkers have them and they're awesome. My cube doesn't really allow for it, but we're redoing our offices soon, so maybe then...

Look into Amazon Turk, it's a nice way to make a few extra bucks.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Michal7361 wrote: »

If I were at home and bored, I would TOTALLY do these things! I don't have this problem on the weekends. But I'm trying to imagine my boss catching me knitting or coloring...yeah that would not go over well. Thank you for the thoughts though! Particularly that last one...

I downloaded the Kindle app on my work computer and now I read novels when I'm bored at work. Granted, that solution is only available if you are allowed to download software to your work computer, which may not be the case. But if someone comes by, even fairly close, all s/he sees are a bunch of black words on a white background. But so far this year, I have resisted the chocolates in my desk drawer and all the free almonds and peanuts in the break room.
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    There are lots of stretches you can do at your desk, just search online. Also chew gum, the stronger the flavour the better.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    walk around your desk, get rid of the junk food then you cannot eat it

The problem is that I work in an open floor, no office, and there is junk food every where. Finance people have the biggest sweet tooth! And then there is all the free food that gets sent up here. *sigh*
    I got candy for the guys on my team, and I have to ration it out or it's all gone in a day or two. And we're talking a good size bowl. *sigh* IT has a serious sweet tooth issue too, believe me. I try and drink 32oz of tea (2 16oz glasses) before lunch and I have a snack with a little fat in it (currently cheese and celery for additional time eating). I usually try and get some good protein and fats in at lunch and it carries me over. And lots of MFP in my downtime (like now!).

• JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    I'm lazy. I consume Soylent 1.5 (and sometimes a protein shake) and water, throughout the week. On the weekends, I may go out and eat a meal, but consume Soylent as my staple. While the smells of food attract me, it hasn't been that bad. Bored eating, I think, accounted for a lot of calories that I've now snuffed out.
  • theconformed
    theconformed Posts: 3 Member
    tea is an awesome suggestion - and it really does help.

are you allowed to do whatever you want on the internet? Can you go on duolingo and learn a new language? That would certainly use up time and stimulate the brain (i.e. reduce boredom)
  • Michal7361
    Michal7361 Posts: 25 Member

are you allowed to do whatever you want on the internet? Can you go on duolingo and learn a new language? That would certainly use up time and stimulate the brain (i.e. reduce boredom)

I've never heard of duolingo, but I'll go check it out! And thank you for the suggestion, I've been wanting a way to brush up on my Spanish.
  • Michal7361
    Michal7361 Posts: 25 Member

THIS IS AMAZING!! Thank you so much!