Psoriasis and Diet

2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Have any of you tried healing your psoriasis from the inside out? Like through diet and nutritional supplements, any luck?
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    TaraTall wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help so far folks.
    wearmi1 wrote: »
    What is guttate psoriasis as opposed to regular psoriasis?

As far as I know there's not "regular" psoriasis, just different strains. Like plaque, guttate, and a couple others. Guttate tends to come after strep throat from what I've read...

Guttate means "drops", so the rash looks more like little bumps all over, vs. a big area of plaque like regular psoriasis.

Things I've tried: Steroids (I've quit the creams after seeing terrifying stuff online that may or may not be true), prednisone, vitamin d, sunbeds, Cetaphil lotions and body wash ONLY, no scented laundry detergent, probiotics, turmeric pills, not eating gluten, avoiding alcohol... and other things!

I don't think any of these things had much benefit, but I've stuck with the unscented soaps and detergents.

Tacrolimus (an immunosuppressant) changed my life and may be something to consider if it gets really, really bad.
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Tried lots of things , not much success , did find that removing things I was sensitive too mostly gluten and wheat got rid of the plaque's and the scaring faded , it will still flare up if I get glutened by accident , but much better.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Have any of you tried healing your psoriasis from the inside out? Like through diet and nutritional supplements, any luck?

I used to eat most anything and everything. My outbreaks were more frequent and more severe than they are now that I am more conscience of my diet.

I haven't made any extreme dietary changes, just less processed food, more whole foods. I have become very cautious about avoiding artificial sweeteners, preservatives, and other artificial ingredients. Still consume some but not near as much as previously.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Plaque psoriasis here, both legs and both elbows for years. I had used the usual steroids, vit D creams, etc. which would temporarily clear areas, but as soon as you stopped the meds, the psoriasis was back. I did some research into nutritional therapy and herbals, and began a daily milk thistle capsule + fish oil (or evening primrose oil) capsule + oral vitamin D. It took six months (nutritional therapies tend to work slower than standard medical therapies), but both legs cleared up and to this day, I only have trouble with one elbow and a small patch on the other elbow. It COULD have been coincidence - perhaps it would have cleared doing nothing; you just don't know with non-standard therapies. (My dermatologist had no problem with trying this.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    The reason i asked about diet, is because we have a friend with one of the worst cases I have seen. He is pumped up full of steroids and uses creams, but his diet is atrocious. Mostly junk food take aways, artificial sweeteners by the boat load, hardly any fresh foods. He is unhealthy from the inside out :(
  • darrinotoole
    darrinotoole Posts: 24 Member
    No coincidence that the clearest I was was when I dropped the weight. Last time I was on methotrexate.

I put tge weight back on and came off methotrexate and am currently in the process of losing the weight again to see if it clears up due to weight loss.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited February 2016
    The reason i asked about diet, is because we have a friend with one of the worst cases I have seen. He is pumped up full of steroids and uses creams, but his diet is atrocious. Mostly junk food take aways, artificial sweeteners by the boat load, hardly any fresh foods. He is unhealthy from the inside out :(

You can be healthy and have psoriasis. It's Autoimmune.

Weight loss can help. Sometimes people attribute the clearing of the skin with having eliminated a certain food but the results can be simply due to weight lost or coincidence. There has been research that shows the reduction of inflammation due to fat loss (fat increases some inflammatory blah blah which I can't remember and where is Peachy when you need her) helps with the skin and joints. But even that can be temporary.

One of the confounding factors with psoriasis (and maybe others with another type of Autoimmune disorder) is that what works for one does not work for all - food elimination, creams, drugs. Also what used to work for one person may not work again for the next flare in same person. This has been my own experience with Paw Paw Ointement. Dramatic clearing of some areas but not able to repeat same results.

I am the healthiest and fittest Ive been in 20 or so years and I am experiencing the worst flare Ive ever had (joints, not skin).
  • kloek22
    kloek22 Posts: 2 Member
    I have suffer from dry skin and eczema and apply honey does work, as its an antiseptic. I know use a lotion with honey it in instead - i use the Made From Earth Holistic Honey Lotion - it smells gorgeous and has aided the clearing of my eczema wonderfully. It is quickly absorbed and I found had a soothing, cooling effect on my hand.
  • chrissymfred
    chrissymfred Posts: 47 Member
    One thing I have learned is that any alcohol causes a flare, and no drink is worth the months of suffering I have to endure. (This is just my experience, we are all different!)
    Right now I am focusing on my sugar intake and feel great. I have lowered it, and most notably is how much better my arthritis is. I have not taken any aspirin in almost two months! That is huge for me!
    Only time will tell, but I keep working to improve my health.
    The little improvements add up and then they start to multiply!
  • Diantha21
    Diantha21 Posts: 112 Member
    My husband has psoriasis. Two things he has found to help - a daily dose of turmeric (you can find pills in the supplement section of almost any store) and another supplement called COQ - 10. Can be hard to find but my wal-mart carries it.

He used to have constant red patches on his arms, legs and even face along with a flaky scalp, now he just gets the odd dry patch now and then. Keep with the pills for at least a month before you decide if it works or not.

That is what I was going to suggest, wonderful and cheap, if you make your own paste and up using it in cooking sprinkled on meat, if you are not a vegetarian of course. I think I like the idea of coconut oil, though I have only just started using it, also I guess any food that has a cooling quality!
    Good luck
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Does alcohol really affect it THAT much? I mean, I am sure it probably doesn't help get rid of it (lol) but can it actually be part of why it's not going away??
  • chrissymfred
    chrissymfred Posts: 47 Member
    TaraTall wrote: »
    Does alcohol really affect it THAT much? I mean, I am sure it probably doesn't help get rid of it (lol) but can it actually be part of why it's not going away??

For me it does. I quit drinking for one year because I noticed it made my pain levels go way up. Then I was at a friends house and she was having a White Russian. Yummy! So I took a few sips and within two days I was covered with sores, and it took almost three months to go into remission. I do have a severe case, I have kept records of everything for years. Doing that has helped me learn so much about my body and my triggers. But, I really do believe that each person has their own triggers. The only way to really know is experiment with yourself.