Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

more protien better...or not?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Protien beneficial to help retain muscle in a cut.

Protien suppliments are taken blindly by less experienced people thinking it's some sort of magic to build muscle.

Many people ignore carbs intake when bulking thinking protien needs to be higher than on a cut.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    GsKiki wrote: »
    I think high protein diet works well for some people, not so well for others. It's about finding what works the best for you. I prefer a nice balance in carbs, fat and protein. I found that's just what works for me best.
    Agreed. If you do your research OP, too much protein turns to fat IF you don't burn it off enough.

To much of any calories can turn into fat.
    Not if you're eating correctly...?

What do you mean by correctly?
    One can be eating a lot of protein but not consuming too much calories

In which case the protein (or any other macronutrient) wouldn't be stored as fat. There is no net fat storage when in a caloric deficit regardless of the macronutrient profile.

Also, while the pathway for protein being stored as fat exists, it's extremely inefficient and basically doesn't happen: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html/
    ...Which means that the odds of protein being converted to fat in any quantitatively meaningful fashion is simply not going to happen. Certain amino acids are processed to a great degree in the liver (as I discuss in The Protein Book) and this can produce glucose, ketones and a few other things. But triglycerides (the storage form of ‘fat’) isn’t one of them.

I imagine that if protein were going to be converted to fat, it would first have to be converted to glucose and only if the amount produced were then in excess of daily maintenance requirements would there be conversion to fat. But as noted above, this simply isn’t going to happen under any even reasonably normal circumstances. No human could eat enough protein on a daily basis for it to occur.

What will happen, as discussed in Nutrient Intake, Nutrient Storage and Nutrient Oxidation. is that amino acid oxidation (burning for energy) will go up somewhat although, as discussed in that article, it’s a slow process and isn’t complete.

So, as noted above, while the pathway exists for protein to be stored as fat, and folks will continue to claim that ‘excess protein just turns to fat’, it’s really just not going to happen under any sort of real-world situation. Certainly we can dream up odd theoretical situations where it might but those won’t apply to 99.9% of real-world situations.

I'm not sure there exists a direct metabolic pathway in humans to go directly from protein to fat. I believe it would require gluconeogenesis from protein first, and then de novo lipogensis of glucose.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    I think high protein diet works well for some people, not so well for others. It's about finding what works the best for you. I prefer a nice balance in carbs, fat and protein. I found that's just what works for me best.
    Agreed. If you do your research OP, too much protein turns to fat IF you don't burn it off enough.

In which case the protein (or any other macronutrient) wouldn't be stored as fat. There is no net fat storage when in a caloric deficit regardless of the macronutrient profile.

Also, while the pathway for protein being stored as fat exists, it's extremely inefficient and basically doesn't happen: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html/
    ...Which means that the odds of protein being converted to fat in any quantitatively meaningful fashion is simply not going to happen. Certain amino acids are processed to a great degree in the liver (as I discuss in The Protein Book) and this can produce glucose, ketones and a few other things. But triglycerides (the storage form of ‘fat’) isn’t one of them.

I imagine that if protein were going to be converted to fat, it would first have to be converted to glucose and only if the amount produced were then in excess of daily maintenance requirements would there be conversion to fat. But as noted above, this simply isn’t going to happen under any even reasonably normal circumstances. No human could eat enough protein on a daily basis for it to occur.

What will happen, as discussed in Nutrient Intake, Nutrient Storage and Nutrient Oxidation. is that amino acid oxidation (burning for energy) will go up somewhat although, as discussed in that article, it’s a slow process and isn’t complete.

So, as noted above, while the pathway exists for protein to be stored as fat, and folks will continue to claim that ‘excess protein just turns to fat’, it’s really just not going to happen under any sort of real-world situation. Certainly we can dream up odd theoretical situations where it might but those won’t apply to 99.9% of real-world situations.

I'm not sure there exists a direct metabolic pathway in humans to go directly from protein to fat. I believe it would require gluconeogenesis from protein first, and then de novo lipogensis of glucose.

That's my understanding as well. Which is what Lyle postulated in the article I quoted:
    ...I imagine that if protein were going to be converted to fat, it would first have to be converted to glucose and only if the amount produced were then in excess of daily maintenance requirements would there be conversion to fat. But as noted above, this simply isn’t going to happen under any even reasonably normal circumstances. No human could eat enough protein on a daily basis for it to occur...
  • MyUserNameiz
    MyUserNameiz Posts: 6 Member
    I.am.on doctors.plan, suggested ratio is.40% protein,.40% carbs 20% fat
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I know the negative effects of too much on the liver so I am curious what is too much?

Actually, that's not so. If you don't already have liver problems, a high protein diet won't hurt it.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I know the negative effects of too much on the liver so I am curious what is too much?

Actually, that's not so. If you don't already have liver problems, a high protein diet won't hurt it.
    So it cant cause liver problems? I have had some many people freak out when I tell them how protien is my goal and say I am going to have liver problems ha
  • Carlos_421

So it cant cause liver problems? I have had some many people freak out when I tell them how protien is my goal and say I am going to have liver problems ha

Nope. They are misinformed.
    http://www.biolayne.com/uncategorized/myths-surrounding-high-protein-diet-safety/
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    senecarr wrote: »

That's my understanding as well. Which is what Lyle postulated in the article I quoted:
    ...I imagine that if protein were going to be converted to fat, it would first have to be converted to glucose and only if the amount produced were then in excess of daily maintenance requirements would there be conversion to fat. But as noted above, this simply isn’t going to happen under any even reasonably normal circumstances. No human could eat enough protein on a daily basis for it to occur...

I would disagree. The starting point for glucose to be transformed into fat is acetyl-CoA (forming fat when it's used for lipogenesis instead of entering the Krebs cycle to produce the proton gradient for ATP synthesis).

Many, but not all, amino acids are also metabolized through acetyl-CoA, so I would think that would be the point at which protein byproduct would enter lipogenesis.
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member

I was taking 60 g in protein powder a day. Dr. told me to stop because it was throwing off my kidney blood work. Since then my blood work has been fine. Everything in moderation my dear… Everything!!
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Try not to rely on powders.
  • Carlos_421

I was taking 60 g in protein powder a day. Dr. told me to stop because it was throwing off my kidney blood work. Since then my blood work has been fine. Everything in moderation my dear… Everything!!

Throwing off your blood work =\= throwing off your kidneys.
    High protein can cause increased creatinine levels which shows up as a red flag on blood work but if it's due to protein levels and not kidney failure it's not a problem.
  • antennachick

Thats alot in powder form...what was your total protien grams?
  • gympho
    gympho Posts: 8 Member
    I try to eat/drink 1gram of protein per pound I weigh. But being around 250Lbs, that's pretty hard. Therefore I normally drink 1 or 2 protein shakes a day. And I have for about the past 15 years.
  • Carlos_421
    gympho wrote: »
    I try to eat/drink 1gram of protein per pound I weigh. But being around 250Lbs, that's pretty hard. Therefore I normally drink 1 or 2 protein shakes a day. And I have for about the past 15 years.

Ya know...the whole grams per pound thing is supposed to be for pounds of lean body mass...
    You could be getting by with a lot less.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    gympho wrote: »

Ya know...the whole grams per pound thing is supposed to be for pounds of lean body mass...
    You could be getting by with a lot less.

Yep. Or if you don't know LBM, make it simple and do .85g/lb of goal weight.
  • Vortex88
    Vortex88 Posts: 60 Member
    1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight is a tried and tested gold standard. Many studies now seem to suggest lower is okay but I haven't seen evidence of this in the real world. If you weigh 150lbs, I personally think 150g protein is a minimum for you for optimal body composition. I shoot for 1.25g per lb or higher.
  • Carlos_421
    Vortex88 wrote: »
    1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight is a tried and tested gold standard. Many studies now seem to suggest lower is okay but I haven't seen evidence of this in the real world. If you weigh 150lbs, I personally think 150g protein is a minimum for you for optimal body composition. I shoot for 1.25g per lb or higher.

Lean body mass. Grams per pound of lean body mass.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

60g of powdered protein isn't that much. One scoop is 34g by weight (at least for the one I use), and I usually put 1.5 scoops (51g) into 8 oz. of nonfat milk.
  • antennachick

60g of powdered protein isn't that much. One scoop is 34g by weight (at least for the one I use), and I usually put 1.5 scoops (51g) into 8 oz. of nonfat milk.
    Just seams alot to me with it being from just a powder..instead of from real food ;)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

I took it to mean he was getting 60g of protein from protein powder.
This discussion has been closed.