does protein powder help me burn fat to make my muscles appear

i have a goal to loose more weight i have a bit of fat to burn and my question is can i take protein powder while am working out to get rid of that fat and will the powder help me do that if i take it , i want my belly muscles to appear

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Protein powder does not burn fat. Protein powder is a supplement that you use when the other food you eat is not going to get you to your protein goal for the day. That's it.

To make your belly muscles appear, lose fat. Do that by eating in a caloric deficit--consume fewer calories than you burn.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2016
    This ^^^^^^

Also, make sure you're not on too much of a calorie deficit, eat .8g protein per pound of your own body weight and keep lifting heavy. Hopefully you'll just target fat loss and keep all of your muscle.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Protein is to build muscle.

You lose fat by reducing calorie consumption.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Protein powders can be useful as a meal replacement if your in a hurry or to increase your total protein intake if you dont eat enough protein, but without a calorie deficit you wont burn fat or lose weight.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Lol yes op, yes.
  • rtamayo
    rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
    edited February 2016
    Build muscle ...burn more fat and burn it faster.
    Protein helps to build the muscle, which will turn around and burn the fat.
    Lift weights and count your macros to build muscle.
    I eat around 2000 to 2200 calories a day. I lift 5 days a week. I'm a 39 year old woman, being doing this for 2 months.
    I have lost 4 inches on my stomach and 2 on my arms, thighs, and hips.
    I haven't lost a single pound. Cause I'm busily building muscle that's eating the fat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    rtamayo wrote: »
    Build muscle ...burn more fat and burn it faster.
    Protein helps to build the muscle, which will turn around and burn the fat.
    Lift weights and count your macros to build muscle.
    I eat around 2000 to 2200 calories a day. I lift 5 days a week. I'm a 39 year old woman, being doing this for 2 months.
    I have lost 4 inches on my stomach and 2 on my arms, thighs, and hips.
    I haven't lost a single pound. Cause I'm busily building muscle that's eating the fat.

That's not true I'm afraid although protein provides the building blocks for cell repair and lifting is fab

You will not be creating enough new muscle tissue as a new lifter to offset any weight loss in fat in a defecit, it is more likely water weight for cell repair that may mask weight loss.

May I ask how you got to your calories allowance of 2-2200 and if that constitutes a defecit for you?

FYI A lb muscle burns approx 10 cals per day at rest, a lb of fat approx 6 ...the incremental burn is 4 calories per day per lb of muscle

A female lifter with an en pointe diet and great progressive programme can possibly build 10-12lbs muscle in a year
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Eating something for weight loss is like having sex for virginity.
  • Sued0nim
    Orphia wrote: »

LOL interesting campaign
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Protein powder will only help if you use those muscles hard. That's why it's popular with weightlifters.

If you have a hard time getting enough protein it's good in general, though. I like the bars much better than the drinks.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

I just sprayed tea at my laptop lol :D
  • Sued0nim
    Protein powder will only help if you use those muscles hard. That's why it's popular with weightlifters.

If you have a hard time getting enough protein it's good in general, though. I like the bars much better than the drinks.

Protein supplements only help if you're not hitting your protein minimums from your general diet...I've never found a need and my minimum is 100g per day, although I frequently hit 50% more
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Protein supplements only help if you're not hitting your protein minimums from your general diet...I've never found a need and my minimum is 100g per day, although I frequently hit 50% more

I'm so bad. I like really small portions of meat. I do need help getting in enough to hit 100g. Plus the bars are like a candy bar but better on my glucose because of all the protein :grin: I eat them before I run (and they are yummy!)