Crock Pot Ideas

13»

Replies

• vvento
    vvento Posts: 28 Member
    I've started experimenting myself with Crockpot recipes, since we just had a baby almost 2 months ago.

Keep in Mind I weigh everything and do weigh it differently then most.

for a Chiptole style Shredded Chicken:
    495 grams or about 2-3 breasts Boneless & Skinless Chicken Breasts (When on sale, we stock up about 4-5 packages at about $1.69/lb)

1 Cup of your favorite Chile (I used one we got from Costco and just finished the rest it was almost a full cup

1 packet or about 40grams of any taco seasoning.

1/4 Cup Lime Juice

Set to Low for about 5-7 hours, depends on amount of chicken. (then just using a wooden spoon, I shredded the chicken in the pot)

Now for the weird part of weighing, Instead of guestimating how many servings that is, I weight a container (lets says 40grams of plastic container. then I would weigh all of the recipe in that container (this time it was 539g).

I would set MFP to say that I have 539 servings, so that 1 serving = 1g. then when I go to serve everyone or anytime after that, I just simply weigh out in grams how much I'm feeling of having (eg. 200g and set the servings to that 200 servings).

In this particular case 200 servings or 200g of this recipe would come out to 249calories and the MacroNutrients of the recipe would amount to 16.6 Carbs, 2.4 Fat, and 42.9 Protein based on MFP's calculations.

I feel it is the most accurate in keeping track of how much i'm eating w/o having to really worry about if I had a full serving or not.

-Follow me on MFP vvento88
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    bump
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    vvento wrote: »
    I've started experimenting myself with Crockpot recipes, since we just had a baby almost 2 months ago.

Keep in Mind I weigh everything and do weigh it differently then most.

for a Chiptole style Shredded Chicken:
    495 grams or about 2-3 breasts Boneless & Skinless Chicken Breasts (When on sale, we stock up about 4-5 packages at about $1.69/lb)

1 Cup of your favorite Chile (I used one we got from Costco and just finished the rest it was almost a full cup

1 packet or about 40grams of any taco seasoning.

1/4 Cup Lime Juice

Set to Low for about 5-7 hours, depends on amount of chicken. (then just using a wooden spoon, I shredded the chicken in the pot)

Now for the weird part of weighing, Instead of guestimating how many servings that is, I weight a container (lets says 40grams of plastic container. then I would weigh all of the recipe in that container (this time it was 539g).

I would set MFP to say that I have 539 servings, so that 1 serving = 1g. then when I go to serve everyone or anytime after that, I just simply weigh out in grams how much I'm feeling of having (eg. 200g and set the servings to that 200 servings).

In this particular case 200 servings or 200g of this recipe would come out to 249calories and the MacroNutrients of the recipe would amount to 16.6 Carbs, 2.4 Fat, and 42.9 Protein based on MFP's calculations.

I feel it is the most accurate in keeping track of how much i'm eating w/o having to really worry about if I had a full serving or not.

-Follow me on MFP vvento88

Love your method of measuring! Thanks for the tip!

(What is chile? Like Tabasco or salsa?)
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    vvento wrote: »

What I've been doing is storing what I've made (it's usually stewlike, to one extent or another) in 1-quart containers (from yogurt and from chopped onions or Creole seasoning mix), working out from that how many cups I made, and then using that number as the number of servings.
  • jcsgirl86
    jcsgirl86 Posts: 53 Member
    I made these Crockpot Italian Sloppy Joes last week. I cooked the sausage and put everything together ahead of time and put it in the freezer. Then on meal day just put it in the crockpot and came back home to a yummy smelling house.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/crock-pot-italian-sloppy-joe.html
  • We use our crockpot to make shredded meats for future dishes. Usually boston butt or chicken leg quarters, we generically season them and then shred them and store for future dishes. Our goto dishes would be tacos, quesadillas, bbq sandwiches or just bbq meat, chicken salads or wraps... I love having baggies of precooked meat on hand!
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member