New to MyFoodDiary

Caralyn
Caralyn Posts: 124 Member
Hello!

My name is Caralyn and I live in Reno, Nevada. I'm hoping to stick to this!!

Replies

• Caralyn
    Hello!

My name is Caralyn and I live in Reno, Nevada. I'm hoping to stick to this!!
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    My Food Diary? Don't you mean My Fitness Pal? I checked into MFD (as opposed to MFP) it looks a bit souped up...but it costs $9 per month. Thanks to Mike this one is free...and the people here are awesome and help each other out...best boards I have seen anywhere.

Welcome!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Hi Caralyn, and welcome to THE best site on the web!
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it!
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off!
    Also, drink lots of water, that seems to help alot too. :drinker:
  • Caralyn
    Hello BrenNew,

I've been off track for a couple days but today I feel more motivated. I have 100 lbs. easily to lose but my problem is exercising. I have trouble with both hips and some days I have a real hard time and consequently don't do my treadmill on those days. I've only been doing Myfitnesspal for a few days now and know I need to get serious - but some days I don't know how and I get discouraged very easily. I would love to have a local buddy here in Reno but can't seem to connect with anyone.

Caralyn
  • Caralyn
    Johnlynn,

Yes, I meant Myfitnesspal. I've been doing so much research on the internet that I forgot which one I registered with. Today I'm a little more motivated than I have been the last couple days. I have 100 lbs. to lose easily and need to "light a fire" under myself to get going, with exercise being my problem. I have issues with my hips and some days I am unable to do my treadmill. I think today is better so plan on doing it shortly. Wish me luck - I really need it!

Caralyn
  • BrenNew
    Hello BrenNew,

I've been off track for a couple days but today I feel more motivated. I have 100 lbs. easily to lose but my problem is exercising. I have trouble with both hips and some days I have a real hard time and consequently don't do my treadmill on those days. I've only been doing Myfitnesspal for a few days now and know I need to get serious - but some days I don't know how and I get discouraged very easily. I would love to have a local buddy here in Reno but can't seem to connect with anyone.

Caralyn

One of the great things about MFP is that you DON'T even HAVE to exercise, and as long as you stay within your numbers, you WILL lose weight.
    If you're having lots of problems with exercise due to your hips, then just see how you do staying within your numbers. And then later on, if you can manage it, try some walking, or something else fairly easy on your hips.
    I have bad knees, have had knee injections, but have managed to do ok with walking and also dancing to a fast "oldies" CD that my husband made for me of all my favorite old fast songs.
    Some days though, if I'm hurting, I just make sure to stay within my numbers. Luckily, using ibuprofen, I CAN exercise most days, which allows me higher numbers, so that I can have MORE food! I LOVE food! :laugh:
  • Caralyn
    BrenNew,

It's me again....Caralyn. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I too am going through a rough patch in my marriage (it's the 2nd for both of us) and I'm sure that's part of my weight issues. I also had bad knees and had total knee replacement on both of them (at separate times, of course). Although they are MUCH better now than they were prior to the replacement, they will never be 100%. I can only do my treadmill for 15 minutes at a time right now and I know I need to increase that time eventually. Also, I think I have a larger appetite than most people. I just had over 700 calories for breakfast and I don't feel terribly stuffed (2 eggs, milk, 2 sl. whole wheat toast, & margarine). I know I will really have to watch my intake for the rest of the day. Have a great day...... :happy:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew,

It's me again....Caralyn. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I too am going through a rough patch in my marriage (it's the 2nd for both of us) and I'm sure that's part of my weight issues. I also had bad knees and had total knee replacement on both of them (at separate times, of course). Although they are MUCH better now than they were prior to the replacement, they will never be 100%. I can only do my treadmill for 15 minutes at a time right now and I know I need to increase that time eventually. Also, I think I have a larger appetite than most people. I just had over 700 calories for breakfast and I don't feel terribly stuffed (2 eggs, milk, 2 sl. whole wheat toast, & margarine). I know I will really have to watch my intake for the rest of the day. Have a great day...... :happy:

Drink LOTS AND LOTS of water, I know it helps fill me up. And when I'm having a really hungry day, I'll have a Fiber One bar, which are sooooooo good, as well as filling. And also maybe some air popped popcorn with the "I can't believe it's not buter" spray.
    You CAN do this! :smile:
  • DawnInOhio
    DawnInOhio Posts: 211 Member
    Hi, there, BrenNew and Caralyn! I'm Dawn, I'm just getting back on track after losing 30 quick pounds on WW in May, and gaining 25 back. I can't believe I did it again!!!! It is so discouraging. I was getting so many compliments, and feeling good, but old habits die hard. My mom has been very successful with MFP, the funny thing is those are her initials, too, I just realized! LOL! So, anyway, I thought that I'd try it. For me, if I try something new that gets my interested, I more likely to do well. I also, can't exercise due to a hip problem. I'm actually not allowed to, my everyday life is more stress on my hip than I should put on it, so walking for exercise is out of the question. I'm going to ask about none weight bearing exercise next time I go.
    So Bren, did you lose all your weight by using mfp? I know what to do, just doing it....ugh. There are so many good products out there now, lowfat, or fat free. It should be a snap. I'm determined this time!!!
    Hope to get to know some people that have been where I am, or are heading in the same direction I am.
    Dawn:wink:

125571.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Caralyn
    Hello Dawn,

Looks like I've finally connected with someone who has some physical problems. I definitely commiserate with you. Funny, you'd expect the hip to hurt on your bottom (the cheek area) but it actually hurts in the groin area - where the hip bone actually connects. Some days are awful and some days aren't so bad. I don't go to a gym - just can't afford it right now. Besides, I've joined gyms/health clubs in the past and I just plain don't stick to it. I take ibuprofin on a regular basis and that helps a lot. Let's stay in touch - sounds like we both need lots of encouragement. If you'd like, my email address is

caralynl@sbcglobal.net

Have a good day......

Caralyn :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    Hi, there, BrenNew and Caralyn! I'm Dawn, I'm just getting back on track after losing 30 quick pounds on WW in May, and gaining 25 back. I can't believe I did it again!!!! It is so discouraging. I was getting so many compliments, and feeling good, but old habits die hard. My mom has been very successful with MFP, the funny thing is those are her initials, too, I just realized! LOL! So, anyway, I thought that I'd try it. For me, if I try something new that gets my interested, I more likely to do well. I also, can't exercise due to a hip problem. I'm actually not allowed to, my everyday life is more stress on my hip than I should put on it, so walking for exercise is out of the question. I'm going to ask about none weight bearing exercise next time I go.
    So Bren, did you lose all your weight by using mfp? I know what to do, just doing it....ugh. There are so many good products out there now, lowfat, or fat free. It should be a snap. I'm determined this time!!!
    Hope to get to know some people that have been where I am, or are heading in the same direction I am.
    Dawn:wink:

Sorry about your hip problem. I've got my sore knees, but, I just pop the old ibuprofen and dance to my fast oldies, watch my numbers, drink lots and lots of water, and, the weigh HAS come off!
    I did lose all 43 pounds right here at MFP. I'd tried everything else, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing worked until I came here.
    I can't say enough good about MFP. This site, and all the wonderfully supportive members have helped me lose all the weight that I so desperately wanted to lose! I'm a completely different, happier person these days!
    I hope it'll do the same for you too! :smile:

125571.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Caralyn I use a recumbent bike and the walk away the pounds videos. Both are great for bad hips. My recumbent bike has a nice wide supportive seat to mimmick my own natural one :blushing: so my hips do not hurt when i use it. The WATP vidoes by Leslie Sansone have a person in each video who does a lower level workout for people like us with joint problems. I can't do the treadmill it is too much of a shock to my joints.
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Welcome!

I have hip and back problems too, and that is one of my biggest hurdles. I'm scared to death that I'm going to do something while exercising that's going to cause me to go through the same kind of pain I went through when I originally injured myself. I'm hoping and praying that I'll be able to make this work though.
  • Caralyn
    Hello AmyNVegas,

Thanks for your info. Amy (I'm up in Reno). I also have a recumbent bike with a wide seat :happy: but I think the treadmill burns off more calories. However, the recumbent bike is much more comfortable. Truthfully, I HATE exercising - no matter what type I do. Please, let's stay in touch and thanks so much for your reply.

Caralyn
  • Caralyn
    Hello nysa,

Yes, hip problems are no fun. Ibuprofin helps me a lot and will try my darndest to stay on my program though! I'm desperate - as I'm sure many others are also. Thanks for your message.

Caralyn
  • Caralyn
    AmyNVegas,

I am looking at WATP videos on Amazon.com and I'm wondering......do ALL the videos have specifically recumbent bike exercises (which, I guess, doesn't sound logical)? Can you suggest one or the other to me to purchase? Thanks, Amy

Caralyn in Reno
  • Caralyn
    AmyNVegas,

Looks like I'm brain-dead.....I've re-read your message above and realize what you said. Still, I would assume you would recommend a beginner's video, right?

Caralyn in Reno
  • DawnInOhio
    DawnInOhio Posts: 211 Member
    Caralyn,
    I get injections (pain blocks) every 4 months, and take celebrex, and percocet, yet nothing relieves the pain. Now from favoring my left leg, I have tendonitis in my achilles tendon, which has lead to a fallen arch in my left foot. I got my $350 inserts this morning. My insurance is the only company that doesn't cover them. UGH.
    So what kind of eating program are you actually following? Anything in particular? Or are you just watching calories? I'm eating like I did with WW points, but not letting anything be free, I'm tracking every piece of lettuce and grape I put in my mouth.
    Dawn
  • Caralyn
    Hi Dawn,

I just read your message but can't reply at the moment. My temp service called and they want to send me on a short-term assignment immediately and I'm not even dressed yet. I will respond later - probably this evening. Must go......

Caralyn