Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Water only detox

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I believe in detoxing. Your probably right on track-I have only been able to do 1 25 hour stretch and I drink Fiji artesian-where I live water is *kitten* they put toxic chlorine in it and there are toxic chemicals present. Good luck add me I might join you if you do 5 days

Adding chlorine to the drinking water makes it safe to drink.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Just look online
    CDC.gov

http://search.cdc.gov/

I used the CDCs search function and typed in detoxification, but I'm afraid all the links that came up are in relation to managing patients with substance misuse issues. Could you be more precise with your evidence? :)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2016
    Drinking lots of water can be fatal.
    My cousin landed himself in the hospital for several days by drinking too much water during a hot spell.

But for more reliable, scientific proof...
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1770067/
    While you're there, also check out hyponatremia, which is how water intoxication kills.

I believe in detoxing.
    rabbitjb wrote:
    Fabulous ... I've been waiting for someone who believes in this to come along and explain the following:

What exactly you are detoxing from your body?
    Can you name the most troublesome toxins and their effects on the body?
    What is the method by which these said toxins are removed from the body?
    Just look online
    CDC.gov
    BZZZZT! Wrong answer.
    You made the claim that "detoxing" (via drinking water, or eating some combination of foods) "removes toxins".
    You have to explain how, provide valid sources, etc.
    It's called burden of proof, and it's a common logical fallacy.

I entered the search term "water detox" and came up with lots of hits talking about protozoa & cysts,
    but nothing about removing "toxins" from the body.
    Here's the search result page.
    http://search.cdc.gov/search?query=water+detox&utf8=✓&affiliate=cdc-main

One of the two I am familiar with is mercury and arsenic, but there are so many more that we are exposed to on constant basis (think about what contaminants do to your hormonal health and fertility. Obesity is just the tip of the iceberg. Our water is a big contaminant. I am not 100% sure but it does feel like fasting gives the body a rest so it can get its strength immunity to these toxins back up. I could be wrong but I do it not for long just day or 2 and I have noticed some energy changes
    So you've mentioned 2 heavy metals. Now continue with your answer...
    How would someone know if they have too much of those? (symptoms)
    And most importantly, "What is the method by which these said toxins are removed from the body?"

Here's something to get you started... though it doesn't mention having the patient drink water, let alone large amounts.

Arsenic Toxicity: How Should Patients Overexposed to Arsenic Be Treated and Managed?
    http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=1&po=13
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Just look online
    CDC.gov
    One of the two I am familiar with is mercury and arsenic,but there are so many more that we are exposed to on constant basis(think about what contaminants do to your hormonal health and fertility. Obesity is just the tip of the iceberg. Our water is a big contaminant. I am not 100%sure but it does feel like fasting gives the body a rest so it can get its strength immunity to these toxins back up. I could be wrong but I do it not for long just day or 2 and I have noticed some energy changes
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I believe in detoxing. Your probably right on track-I have only been able to do 1 25 hour stretch and I drink Fiji artesian-where I live water is *kitten* they put toxic chlorine in it and there are toxic chemicals present. Good luck add me I might join you if you do 5 days

Fabulous @DancingDarl I've been waiting for someone who believes in this to come along and explain the following

What exactly you are detoxing from your body? Can you name the most troublesome toxins and their effects on the body?

You cannot detox those from your body. Your liver and kidneys are very efficient at removing small amounts. If you have unsafe levels, they need to be chelated. Chelating is the process of introducing an organic compound directly to the bloodstream (EDTA is a common one for lead and other heavy metals, others are used for mercury) which binds to the metals and removes them. It is done in a hospital and only for unsafe build-up. Your body does very well on its own for normal exposure.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Just look online
    CDC.gov
    One of the two I am familiar with is mercury and arsenic,but there are so many more that we are exposed to on constant basis(think about what contaminants do to your hormonal health and fertility. Obesity is just the tip of the iceberg. Our water is a big contaminant. I am not 100%sure but it does feel like fasting gives the body a rest so it can get its strength immunity to these toxins back up. I could be wrong but I do it not for long just day or 2 and I have noticed some energy changes

Fabulous @DancingDarl I've been waiting for someone who believes in this to come along and explain the following

What exactly you are detoxing from your body? Can you name the most troublesome toxins and their effects on the body?

You cannot detox those from your body. Your liver and kidneys are very efficient at removing small amounts. If you have unsafe levels, they need to be chelated. Chelating is the process of introducing an organic compound directly to the bloodstream (EDTA is a common one for lead and other heavy metals, others are used for mercury) which binds to the metals and removes them. It is done in a hospital and only for unsafe build-up. Your body does very well on its own for normal exposure.

AWWW! You beat me to it earlnabby! :) Also, a water detox is a bad idea because too much water causes things like hyponatremia (low sodium) which is deadly, not to mention throwing off the delicate balance of other electrolytes like potassium (which the heart uses to conduct muscle contractility), and magnesium (which the body uses for protein synthesis, among other processes).

So . . . just . . . NO!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member

A teenage boy just died in Tennessee from drinking a combination of racing fuel and Mt. Dew. The methanol level in his blood was over 100. They were able to successfully detoxify his blood with a dialysis but it was too late, and his levels were at zero when he passed away.

If you have toxins in your body, get to a hospital before it's too late.

Also, fun fact, the body requires trace amounts of heavy metals in order to keep you alive. Your organs do a perfect job at regulating these levels. If they fail to regulate the levels of heavy metals in your system, get to a hospital before it's too late.
  • makowsk8
    makowsk8 Posts: 5 Member

Besides needing electrolytes, like Potassium, Calcium, etc like mentioned earlier, you also need your carbs, protien, and fats as well. Carbs give you direct source of energy. Protein is necessary in nearly all bodily functions, like enzymes, muscles, etc. And fats are needed for cell membranes and nerve function.

It sounds like you already decided against this water only fast, which is good. Just remember your body needs a balanced diet to function properly. If youre looking to cut something out of your diet, I suggest removing heavily processed food and focus more so on nutrient dense foods.
  • ellieco
    ellieco Posts: 18 Member
    Your body doesn't need "detoxing" if you have a working liver. That's what a liver is for.
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member

You better start washing yourself with that Fiji water as well then, who knows if all that chlorine in water will burn your skin as well... :p
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Just look online
    CDC.gov

So would you also accept the CDC saying detoxing diets / fasts don't do anything, or do you only listen to their information that can spread fear? Just asking before I bother searching for an article of them saying detoxing is what your liver and kidbeys always do naturally and beyond that you need a hospital stay not a fast or diet.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    edited February 2016
    Your kidneys are very good doing the detox job
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Back in 1978 I did a 97 hour water only fast for the heck of it. I carried a gallon jug of water around in my car so that I could drink it whenever I got hungry ... but after about 48 hours I had to remind myself to drink the water.

Have never done it again, but felt fine during it. Really kind of like on a high of some sort. Not thinking of ever doing it again.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member

Ever use table salt? You know, sodium CHLORIDE? The levels that are added to water are not the least bit lethal. The thing everyone forgets about suspected toxins is that THE DOSE MAKES THE POISON. Water is LETHAL at a certain dose.
  • AngelinaB_
    ellieco wrote: »
    Your body doesn't need "detoxing" if you have a working liver. That's what a liver is for.
    The kidneys

• MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    As long as you have a healthy liver and at least one healthy kidney, you don't need to do anything special to "detox" your body. That's what your liver and kidneys are for. The only time I have ever heard a doctor recommend "water only" for a long stretch of time is before you have surgery, but that's usually over a period of less than 24 hours.

Juice fasts, water fasts, any kind of liquid-only diet is not good for you. You might experience weight loss, but it's because you're not eating solid foods or enough calories to maintain the natural functioning of your body.

Don't do it. Stick to leafy greens, lean proteins, fruit, whole grains, healthy fats...and of course, plenty of water.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    AngelinaB_ wrote: »
    ellieco wrote: »
    The kidneys

Both, actually. The liver metabolizes a wide variety of toxic compounds into less toxic ones, the kidneys filter waste products out of the blood for excretion.

Anyhow, if you're doing a water fast, do so for a better reason than "toxins" which are just the latest pseudoscience to emerge. Various religious ceremonies have used water fasting for many different lengths of time, and it's not typically going to cause long-term harm, but unless you're getting some spiritual benefit, you're not getting any physical benefits.
  • AngelinaB_
    edited February 2016
    Yes both although the primary function of the kidneys is detox.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Just look online
    CDC.gov

This is absolutely ridiculous. Drinking water for a day or two isn't going to remove heavy metals from your system. And your "feelings" that fasting is doing so are worthless as proof that detoxing works. It's called the placebo effect.

If you've found proof to the contrary on the CDC's site, please post a link. You can't throw out the CDC as "proof of anything and expect everyone here to do your research for you. So where's your proof outside whatever BS is being posted on the internet by detoxers and those selling them products?

Scientific proof means there have been repeated studies that something is so, the results are published with sufficient detail so others can reproduce them, and researchers other than the original team have been able to reproduce the results. The feelings of the researchers (and of DancingDarl) have nothing to do with the reality of the results.

This sort of nonsense is the reason why I can only handle these forums for a few weeks before I get totally disgusted with them.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Just look online
    CDC.gov

If you did have mercury or arsenic poisoning, you're right you need to "detox", but that doesn't involve drinking water, it involves going to a hospital and having chelating agents intravenously administered under the supervision of a doctor. The agents themselves can be quite toxic, but in the case of severe heavy metal poisoning it can be worth the risk.

Drinking water or juice is not going to do anything to filter heavy metals from the blood.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Back in 1978 I did a 97 hour water only fast for the heck of it. I carried a gallon jug of water around in my car so that I could drink it whenever I got hungry ... but after about 48 hours I had to remind myself to drink the water.

Have never done it again, but felt fine during it. Really kind of like on a high of some sort. Not thinking of ever doing it again.

Which is why it is often done for religious reasons: 1) You can devote the time you would be eating to prayer and 2) you get "closer to God"