Diet and exercise advice

So, I've been doing pretty well since New Years with my diet and everything. I was chugging along, losing about 1.5 pounds every week give or take. I felt fantastic that I was actually accomplishing something! I went to weight myself today and I had gained 2.2 pounds! I am completely wrecked. Now, I'm not going to give up but I obviously need to reevaluate what I'm doing.

Does anyone have any advice for me? What kinds of foods should I avoid. What exercises are the best for a beginner? How can I avoid emotional eating and binge eating? And small things I can do to help drop these pounds? Any advice for how to stay motivate and keep my eyes on the prize?

Any advice would be appreciated. I am determined to finally lose this weight and become healthier.

Replies

• chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Weight loss isn't linear. 2 pounds is EASILY within water weight, it could be due to your cycle, eating more sodium, drinking, etc. SO many things.

This is why I advocate for daily weighing with a weight trender (libra, happyscale, trendweight, etc) because then you start to see patterns and realize that fluctuations like this are VERY common.

This is not to say you shouldn't make sure you have tight logging with a food scale, stay away from bingeing, etc, but two pounds is nothing to worry too much about if your general trend is down.
  • LadyValacri
    LadyValacri Posts: 17 Member
    Weight loss isn't linear. 2 pounds is EASILY within water weight, it could be due to your cycle, eating more sodium, drinking, etc. SO many things.

This is why I advocate for daily weighing with a weight trender (libra, happyscale, trendweight, etc) because then you start to see patterns and realize that fluctuations like this are VERY common.

This is not to say you shouldn't make sure you have tight logging with a food scale, stay away from bingeing, etc, but two pounds is nothing to worry too much about if your general trend is down.

You're right. Deep down I know it's normal but it just drives me nuts. Weight trending? Is it an app or something that you log your weight in daily and it calculates trends? I used to weight every day but I kinda went crazy when my weight would fluctuate.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Yeah, what it does is takes the last 7 days (or whatever you set it to. 7 works well for me) and it shows you how your weight is trending, downward or up. It helps a lot if you're struggling with the up and down. One of the disadvantages, to me, of once a week weighing is it has so much more emotional weight (aha) because it's your "official" weigh-in for the week. I weigh every day, and it has pretty much no emotional bearing anymore, I'm so used to it.

Libra is for Android, Happyscale is for Apple, and Trendweight is a fitbit/scale thing I don't honestly know much about.
  • Hawkian
    Hawkian Posts: 87 Member
    Aw, completely wrecked by a 2.2 bump! That can happen from any number of things. Don't get all amped up about the numbers, especially pound-for-pound weight. You can make substantial progress even on a week when the scale seems like your enemy.

As far as general advice, are you logging your meals here? And what kinda exercise are you doing so far?
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    One of the things that works for me is lower carb intake. I'm not talking low low carbs, although some people do that and do very well. I just like to lower mine a bit when I'm not seeing results because it's almost always that those high carbon foods are sneaking in.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Keep carbs below 100 grams/day. This will reduce hunger!