Looking for some ideas to use up leftover rotisserie chicken?

sndrd49
sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
I usually make soup, but maybe you have more original or interesting ideas?

Replies

• melstampz
    melstampz Posts: 28 Member
    You could spice it up and dress it up like chicken salad to make lettuce wraps or green salad topping. If you have food sensitivities (or just want to get healthy fats in) avocado makes a great mayo substitute.
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    lower calorie fajitas.. chicken.. beans.. low cal sour cream and virtually fat free salsa .. if you want.. a little cheese on the top.. when it is baked in the oven it crisps up.. then I throw shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes on the top.. add jalapenos if you like the heat
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    I really like it in wraps with salad rolled up. You could put it in rice with soya sauce and throw in some stir fry veggies
  • sndrd49
    melstampz wrote: »
    You could spice it up and dress it up like chicken salad to make lettuce wraps or green salad topping. If you have food sensitivities (or just want to get healthy fats in) avocado makes a great mayo substitute.

Love avacado but I've never used it like that, great idea. Thanks.
  • sndrd49
    All good ideas, thanks!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Yes to chicken salad! I like to add a bit of cumin to it!

Or soft shell chicken tacos or fajitas!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I like to use leftover cooked chicken in stuffed vegetables: stuffed peppers, stuffed eggplant, stuffed spaghetti squash, zucchini or squash boats, stuffed portobello caps, etc.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Chicken & mushroom risotto. Yum!
  • evarinjr
    evarinjr Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2016
    I usually put the entire frame in a pan of water, covering a little more than half the chicken. simmer it until it falls completely apart. Strain saving broth, pick through and remove bones and make soup. Or freeze broth and meat and make soup another time.

Chicken pot pie is good also with leftover.
  • aalbert_82
    aalbert_82 Posts: 95 Member
    I usually eat the chicken breast on its own, but then use the dark meat for a curry (so good) and the little leftover bits are great in a quesadilla with peppers.
  • Buffalo chicken sliders, enchiladas, chicken and dumplings, pot pie.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited February 2016
    Put the pieces in a food processor and make "chicken cheesesteak" subs out of it. Throw it in a frying pan, add some cheese and peppers/onions and you're done.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    I use the leftovers for healthy chicken enchiladas. super yummy
  • sparklyhippos
    sparklyhippos Posts: 38 Member
    Yes to chicken salad! I like to add a bit of cumin to it!

This, completely. With rice crackers.

I love making a hash - fried up with egg, mashed potato, peppers and garlic/onion is one of my favorites. Chinese chicken fried rice is always great too.
  • Glory Bowl salad. It's somewhat labour intensive but worth it. Best salad you will ever have. The dressing....OMG. Just sub the tofu for the chicken:
    canadianliving.com/food/glory_bowl.php
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Yes, I separate the chicken breasts for their own dinner right off. Then the remainder of the chicken is de-boned and that dark meat goes in to some sauce-y sort of dish. The bones are saved to be stewed in water, onion and spices for chicken stock.

For the chicken bits, try a white chicken chili or a chicken carbonera. If the recipe calls for raw chicken I use it anyways and just don't cook it as long.
  • lynshady
    lynshady Posts: 10 Member
    Stir frys, chicken pot pie, quesadillas, chicken salad sandwiches, lasagna, chicken & broccoli casserole, quiche, chicken parm casserole.
  • aprilhebron
    aprilhebron Posts: 4 Member
    I pick off all the meat and boil the carcass to make broth, add veggies and add the meat back in. You could also use the meat for something else and freeze the broth for soup later. Or package it into 2c portions to use for cooking rice or quinoa. So many possibilities!!
  • I do chicken salad using Greek yogurt, grapes, sliced almonds, garlic, onion. Beautiful in a lettuce wrap