Spartan Race, anyone?

I'm here in Northern California and training for the Stadium Spartan Race in San Fran in May of this year. It's going to be at AT&T park in SF. This will be my first Spartan I can't wait.

Anyone here getting ready for a Spartan this year??

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    I've done that one twice. It is a blast! You are going to have so much fun. I did a LOT in 2015 and burnt out a little bit. So I might do some the second half of the year, but for now just want to take a mini break. It's a great community. There is a group on facebook called Weeple Army that has a lot of people in California (I know a bunch in NorCal) that will be doing that race if you want to find people to potentially train or run with or just to meet other people that do them. :)
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Awesome! I've done four of them over the past 2 years, always super fun. Stadiums are fun but you should try and get a normal non stadium one too. Different experience.

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Just signed up for a beast In NJ in April.
  • wanderinwoodsman
    wanderinwoodsman Posts: 10 Member
    Ran the Alabama Spartan Super in another's place last October on 2 days notice. It was my first one, and though old and slow, I found myself signing up for a Sprint in PA next Jul. Also now running in the Fort Benning Sprint in April. Found it very taxing but also very fun and bonding when you have teammates, or even others to commiserate with along the journey. Have done my share of obstacle courses in the Military, but none spread out over this distance. Not sure I'll ever run a Beast but not entirely sure I won't run another Super.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Yup: the Ohio Super in 2014, Ohio Sprint in 2015, and getting ready for the AZ Sprint next month. No trifecta for me this year though; not enough Beasts in the west :(
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    I've done that one twice. It is a blast! You are going to have so much fun. I did a LOT in 2015 and burnt out a little bit. So I might do some the second half of the year, but for now just want to take a mini break. It's a great community. There is a group on facebook called Weeple Army that has a lot of people in California (I know a bunch in NorCal) that will be doing that race if you want to find people to potentially train or run with or just to meet other people that do them. :)

Awesome! I'll check out the group thanks for the info!
  • jassenyates
    jassenyates Posts: 11 Member
    Earned my first Trifecta last year and this year trying to double up. I've done PacWest, Alabama, Chicago, Tampa and North Carolina. The Navy has me out in the Midwest and I'll be able to hit a lot more this year. Add me if you want to talk Spartan!
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Not this year. I'm too out of shape. I did the Sprint and a Super 4 years ago and I've been saying I'll work my way up to the beast...I'm still working on that.
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Earned my first Trifecta last year and this year trying to double up. I've done PacWest, Alabama, Chicago, Tampa and North Carolina. The Navy has me out in the Midwest and I'll be able to hit a lot more this year. Add me if you want to talk Spartan!

Man that's a great accomplishment. Hopefully I get to that level at some point!
  • betsy329
    betsy329 Posts: 61 Member
    I just got my ticket for the Sprint in Indy come July. Also doing Tough Mudde, Battlefrog, and a few others. Goal is to complete a Spartan Trifecta next year!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I know this sounds crazy but I set a goal to do a Spartans race in 2018. Why am I waiting so long? I have many, many physical challenges but I am working with them and becoming stronger little by little. I have a major, actually two major surgeries coming up that will stall my training for quite a while. I turn 50 in 2018 and that will be my gift to myself. I won't win any time trials. I won't be the first or probably 20th across the finish but I WILL FINISH.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    I have 9 Spartan's on my schedule this year. Goliathon. Bone Frog. BattleFrog. And most importantly - OCR World Championships in Toronto :) SO EXCITED.
  • SpartanPhish
    SpartanPhish Posts: 1 Member
    Ran the AT&T Park race last year and it's a lot of fun. Also pretty easy IMHO. Wish I could make it back this year but it's just not going to happen :(
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Registered for the Sprint and Super in Barre, MA and the Killington Beast. Also have F.I.T. and BoneFrog on the calendar too.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Done a Spartan Beast! It was a lot of fun and challenging, but definitely doable. However, I was NOT prepared for the heat.

Note: never do one in late June in Utah. They ran out of water. People were getting ridiculous Charlie horses and taking shots of table salt. I found myself sitting in the dirt massaging a muscle cramp out of my buddy's calf. It was crazy!
  • ew_david
    aub6689 wrote: »
    Done a Spartan Beast! It was a lot of fun and challenging, but definitely doable. However, I was NOT prepared for the heat.

Note: never do one in late June in Utah. They ran out of water. People were getting ridiculous Charlie horses and taking shots of table salt. I found myself sitting in the dirt massaging a muscle cramp out of my buddy's calf. It was crazy!

I promise you, doing one in the cold is worse! Spartan's water stations are pretty bad.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

I promise you, doing one in the cold is worse! Spartan's water stations are pretty bad.

I hate the cold so that is probably true and it being so hot, I did get a LOT of male torso eye candy... just saying
  • ew_david
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

I hate the cold so that is probably true and it being so hot, I did get a LOT of male torso eye candy... just saying

Yasssss >:)
  • CharlzO
    CharlzO Posts: 96 Member
    A friend at work has me talked into trying one in July of this year in PA. Thank goodness I have time to get in more better shape!
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    I'm up for a tough mudder in Apr, and hope to complete a Spartan Trifecta later this year. I did a beast last year. My training basically consisted of Crossfit 5x a week, and a half marathon training plan.