Working out and still not losing weight!

2»

Replies

• bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. If you are not losing, you are not at a deficit.
    Just because you work out doesn't mean you'll lose weight. I could work out 5 hrs per day and still gain because weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.
    I'd start by getting a food scale and learning how to weigh all your solids. Use measuring cups for only liquids.
    Learn how to log accurately here on mfp.
    Be consistent and be honest with your logging.

This ^^^. I worked out 'consistently' but did not lose for MONTHS because I was consistently overeating too!! Also, there is no 'give up'. We have all committed to a sustained change in diet and exercise. Don't think of it as a start and end point. We all get discouraged but just hang in there. If I had given up all that time I wasn't losing my weight would have gotten even higher! The key is to continue and find what works best for you. Try to enjoy the journey by eating things you like and finding fitness activities you enjoy. Since this is a lifestyle - it really should be enjoyable. Also, I have started to lose again (albeit slowly). Set realistic expectations. Find your caloric deficit and go for it!! I ate ice cream yesterday, by the way, and I still fully intend to lose weight and hit my target for the week. Enjoy the journey!!
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. If you are not losing, you are not at a deficit.
    Just because you work out doesn't mean you'll lose weight. I could work out 5 hrs per day and still gain because weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.
    I'd start by getting a food scale and learning how to weigh all your solids. Use measuring cups for only liquids.

But if you work out 5 hours a day aren't you creating a bigger deficit? This is the only thing about losing weight that I don't get. I do body combat 4 times a week and whilst I truly thought it should be dropping off me. I'm hardly losing at all. In fact I gained 1.5 last week

It might create a bigger deficit, but maybe not depending on how many calories you eat. It's pretty easy to out-eat your exercise if you're not carefully tracking. Well, if you're literally doing 5 hours a day you could eat a LOT, but few people are. :)

It wouldn't take that much to cancel out the 600 calories I burned on my run this morning.
  • meelaniie1029
    meelaniie1029 Posts: 4 Member
    If you're having a binge eating problem and want a crunchy snack, skip the chips, and eat snow peas, you can eat them until you're satisfied, watching tv and just crunch and you'll barely add calories it really helps for when you want to eat out of boredom.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    vflv2b1m5d4z.jpg
    1.jpg 135.4K
  • AneNicole1978
    AneNicole1978 Posts: 4 Member
    bmayes2014 wrote: »

This ^^^. I worked out 'consistently' but did not lose for MONTHS because I was consistently overeating too!! Also, there is no 'give up'. We have all committed to a sustained change in diet and exercise. Don't think of it as a start and end point. We all get discouraged but just hang in there. If I had given up all that time I wasn't losing my weight would have gotten even higher! The key is to continue and find what works best for you. Try to enjoy the journey by eating things you like and finding fitness activities you enjoy. Since this is a lifestyle - it really should be enjoyable. Also, I have started to lose again (albeit slowly). Set realistic expectations. Find your caloric deficit and go for it!! I ate ice cream yesterday, by the way, and I still fully intend to lose weight and hit my target for the week. Enjoy the journey!!

I love this. Thank you! I believe you nailed my frame of mind on all of it. I have moments when I feel like " what am I working towards? Losing weight is my goal however will i have to continue to be on such a strict diet forever? A constant exercise regimen? Never being able to be lax and eat all the bad goodness we have all come to love? "
    But you are right. This is a lifestyle not a start and finish project . I need to change my lifestyle and stop looking at this as the "end of days"
  • AneNicole1978
    AneNicole1978 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2016
    If you're having a binge eating problem and want a crunchy snack, skip the chips, and eat snow peas, you can eat them until you're satisfied, watching tv and just crunch and you'll barely add calories it really helps for when you want to eat out of boredom.

I am a "crunchy boredom" eater. Obsessively so which is a problem I'm sure. I get a taste of something I love and will eat tons of that one thing. Understanding that cannot be healthy. I need to get a grip on myself. I have always been it's either black or white, no shade of gray kind of person.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Look to your logging.
  • darceystout1
    darceystout1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    I thought I read something about muscle weighing more than fat... But then I looked it up "Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat." Was hoping I could encourage you by saying that perhaps you are gaining muscle and losing fat... Perhaps the bathroom scale doesn't tell us everything...?