Anyone training for a triathlon?

I'm training for Columbia in May and Eagleman in June. Anyone else out there training for a triathlon? I'm looking for motivation and nutrition advice.

Replies

• jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    I'm training for Columbia in May and Eagleman in June. Anyone else out there training for a triathlon? I'm looking for motivation and nutrition advice.
  • Yes. I'm training for a couple in Western Canada this summer. probably 2 sprints and one olympic length.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Me me! Not currently training hard yet, but I am signed up for a sprint in June and possibly an Olympic in July. I did a duathon and a triathlon last summer, so ask away if you have questions!

Jess
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    HECK NO! :tongue:

but good luck!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    I have a few that I'm going to do....

3 sprints (one in march, one in april, one in june)
    1 olympic length in may
  • jadaigle
    This will be my 5th year doing tris and I'm looking at doing an IM in 2010. It's nice to see others out there.
  • Tiddle
    This will be my 5th year doing tris and I'm looking at doing an IM in 2010. It's nice to see others out there.

GOOD LUCK!

I was just talking to someone a few days ago, and he suggested that I do the one in Hawaii next year, I laughed in his face!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    I have my 1st tri in June,
    I am really having a hard time fitting all the training in. Yesterday I did strength and a spin class. Tomorrow will be strength and a run..I am planning on 2 days strength, 2 days cycle, 2 days swim and run as much as possible with a long run every weekend since I have a few 13.1 's coming up..Plus they say yoga is good to add...but where?? I guess I need to quit my job :)
  • Tiddle
    I have my 1st tri in June,
    I am really having a hard time fitting all the training in. Yesterday I did strength and a spin class. Tomorrow will be strength and a run..I am planning on 2 days strength, 2 days cycle, 2 days swim and run as much as possible with a long run every weekend since I have a few 13.1 's coming up..Plus they say yoga is good to add...but where?? I guess I need to quit my job :)

SERIOUSLY!!!!
  • jadaigle
    Coronalime: Congrats on signing up for your first tri. I was hooked as soon as I crossed the finish line of my first.
  • jessmomof3
    Coronalime: Congrats on signing up for your first tri. I was hooked as soon as I crossed the finish line of my first.

Me too!! They are addictive!! :laugh:
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    My first one is in May, Im excited, but I seem to have hit a wall in the running part... i cant get my times down any... thats when i checking into nutrition and found out that my sugars were too high... now everything is under control and I am back at it, hopefully drop some time!

what do you do for your cycling training?
  • Tiddle

Me too!! They are addictive!! :laugh:

Yup :heart:
  • jadaigle
    HiandTri: I have a Kenetic trainer that I set up inside my house and I do most of my winter months bike training on that. I try to get outside starting in February or March to ride the course. I just started using a couple of Spinervals DVDs that I have and they are giving my husband and I a pretty good workout. As for the running, my brother the Ironman says be careful of overtraining.
  • jessmomof3
    HiandTri: I have a Kenetic trainer that I set up inside my house and I do most of my winter months bike training on that. I try to get outside starting in February or March to ride the course. I just started using a couple of Spinervals DVDs that I have and they are giving my husband and I a pretty good workout. As for the running, my brother the Ironman says be careful of overtraining.

I'm jealous!! I want a trainer!! I got a Giant OCR-2 road bike in August and only got to ride a couple months before the weather got too bad to ride outside! I can't wait for the weather to warm up (ha- it's almost below 0 today!) so I can head back outside! I've heard good things about Spinervals too!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    My first one is in May, Im excited, but I seem to have hit a wall in the running part... i cant get my times down any... thats when i checking into nutrition and found out that my sugars were too high... now everything is under control and I am back at it, hopefully drop some time!

what do you do for your cycling training?

I am using spinning classes and the bike at the Y unitl it gets warmer. I am aiming for 2 days a week.

Do you do tempo.interval runs to increase your run time? All I did was run since training for a marathon. Knees and hips are going kaput so switching to tris to get a "rest"/ However since adding all the weights and biking my time has slowed down some..I think the "extra" muscles and soreness are playing a toll for right now. It should (or better) get faster soon :)
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660

how much do these kenetic trainers cost? This sounds like a viable option for me as it hit -10 degrees this morning. Sometimes I wonder why I live near Chicago... I would love to do the whole spinnervals thing if I could get a station to setup in my house that I could ride my bike on, I have only just begun to train for the sprints, I only have a mountain bike right now so I will have to make do

Thanks for the information! it is good to get other training ideas.

and as for the question that Caronalime posted I am currently running 5k's twice a week and doing 400m lactic burnouts (sprinting 400m then rest 2 minutes then repeat 6-8 times) to get the larger muscles in my legs used to running on no oxygen
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    To all I would check out active.com for tri's/races in your area and fitness training and nutrition tips. great resource.

and if your training don't forget the bricks. can you bike and run or swim and bike. It helps get you ready for transitions, especially if you are thinking of doing a tri with a wet suit. large land locked lakes can stay pretty cold even during the summer.