Anyone have a good "mock ice cream" recipie??

seayemily100
seayemily100 Posts: 12 Member
I'd love to try mock ice cream, but not sure how to make it. Thanks!

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Have you tried, you know, googling it?
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    i just freeze ripe bananas (chopped in pieces) then blend in food processor until creamy
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    i just freeze ripe bananas (chopped in pieces) then blend in food processor until creamy

Yep. My kid loves a little Nutella blended in and I love a little bit of peanut flour in it.
  • fairviewim
    fairviewim Posts: 8 Member
    I just did this recipe last week. It's a bit labor intensive (at least half hour +) to make Neopolitan 'mock' ice cream, but very yummy. Here's the link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/neapolitan-banana-ice-cream.print.html?oc=linkback

As for calories, I just use bananas (raw or frozen) as the basis, even though it's a bit less with the strawberries (1 cup strawberries to 2 cups bananas), so if you're calculating basing on a half cup of bananas, it might be slightly higher in that recipe. You might want to add a bit more to the chocolate one that uses a tablespoon of coconut oil and cocoa powder (though there's not much in the cocoa). Like I said, if you're having some of each, just using the banana will be fairly correct, as the chocolate is a bit more, the strawberry a bit less. Oh, and the vanilla is just vanilla extract and bananas.

I'm going to try some papaya and pineapple, too. Papaya is very creamy when we use it in our Yonana maker (also a very easy way to make frozen desert). Just add frozen fat/sugar free pudding (freeze in ice cube trays) or yogurt (free, or othewise) for creaminess, with or without bananas.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Google "nice cream" recipies. Usually a frozen banana base with any flavoring you may want- mangoes, chocolate, coconut, pb, you name it. Super easy, just experiment.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I just eat real ice cream. If you get plain chocolate or vanilla there is plenty to be had dailly.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    I like blending a scoop of protein powder, a banana or some avocado (for creaminess), water &/or almond/coconut/cashew milk &/or plain Greek yogurt, some frozen berries, natural PB or almond butter (if you want it), &/or vanilla extract & spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc) & freezing it.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    I've been making a sorbet from frozen berries, mango by using a Oscar Neo 1000 cold press juicing machine.
    so easy just fruit no sugar dairy or anything else. I just top with a scoop of natural yogurt. Every one in the family loves it. There are other ways to do I'm sure but i don't know how.
  • shdyldy180
    shdyldy180 Posts: 5 Member
    See my chocolate smoothie recipe post, it's fantastic!
  • chardhead
    chardhead Posts: 4 Member
    Hell yeah I do. 3 frozen bananas in the food processor until it resembles ice cream, it'll look like 'dip in dots' for a bit, mix it around with a spoon then turn it back on. Add a spoonful of peanut butter and a tsp of vanilla. Makes about two servings, may need more pb depending on your taste. My meat eating parents love it too
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Homemade ice cream isn't too bad. You can control the amount of sugar in it. Also, I have seen some great recipes for banana based fake ice cream. The Domestic Geek on Youtube has at least 8 different "guilt" free ice cream recipes. They look delicious!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    To make a thick banana shake, I use a frozen banana, two scoops protein powder, a cup of water (or soy or coconut milk), 2-3 ice cubes, and a quarter cup of light ricotta or mascarpone cheese, stevia to taste. For variety, I like 3/4 cups frozen cherries instead of the banana plus cocoa powder (chocolate cherry), or a berry shake with a cup of frozen berries. So thick you almost need a spoon. You could probably put this combination in bowl in the freezer and stir it periodically to make more of an ice cream like product but I haven't tried this.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    very very easy, all you need is frozen fruit, any kind. Blend it up till thick and creamy, I also add a little nut milk and vanilla sometimes even some cinnamon
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Any reason why it has to be mock? I'm set to enjoy a cup of Edy's slow churned chocolate chip mint for 220 cals which isn't too shabby for a lite ice cream. If you like the richer full fat ice cream its the same cals for half a cup.
  • beckyhauser
    beckyhauser Posts: 34 Member

Agree. Takes some scrapping, but good substitute.
  • MrsMilesy73
    MrsMilesy73 Posts: 6 Member
    Alluminati, I'm with you. Weis bars are only 77 cals and hit the spot ;)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Just ate 163 gram of frozen peaches mixed with 200 gram homemade yogurt, some ice cups and walden syrup
    About 200 calories

I only topped it off with a Dutch homemade cookie bakery ( crumbs) good for 200 calories lol

but so yummie
  • fabulousmo
    fabulousmo Posts: 41 Member
    I accidentally made a form of soft serve last night when I blended 3/4 cup frozen mango chunks with 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt plus a touch of water because the blender blades got stuck. Expecting a smoothie, I made soft serve - like - pour into bowl and stick a spoon in it soft serve. It was satisfying and within my caloric budget for the day, so I was well pleased.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    I use one frozen banana (sliced before freezing for easy processing later), plus either 3 T of unsweetened cocoa powder or a cup of frozen blueberries, cherries, mangoes, or whatever. As it is processing, I pour in maybe 1/2-1 c. of plant milk, usually Silk unsweetened cashew milk, or, for more protein, soy milk. Sometimes I add in almond butter or chia seeds, cinnamon, or even flavor extracts. It's super easy, super healthy, contains no added sugars, and is really delicious.