The Same Two Lbs For Two Months

In the past 10 months I've lost 55 lbs. In the beginning the weight melted off with 1400 calories a day. I never adjusted calories down as I lost weight because I feel anything less would be too restrictive, and as expected, the weight loss slowed (but continued!). I have another 10-15 lbs to lose before I'm at my goal weight (I never set a finite weight, but I'd be very happy at 165-170). However, for the past two months I've been struggling with the same two lbs. I lose it; I gain it. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Thought it might be sodium, or "that time of the month". Nope. Thought I might need to increase my calories a bit to get my metabolism going. Didn't work. Any ideas? I haven't incorporated exercise yet into my life and to be honest, I'd rather not at this point. I've got a lot going on and I'm not mentally in a place where I know I can add that in and not falter.

I'm at the point where I'm almost ready to just accept my current weight as my "final" weight. I'm the slimmest I've been since high school and I'd be okay at this weight for the next 30 years. But I would like to TRY to get to my goal weight if possible.

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    How tight is your logging?
    Do you weigh all solids and measure all liquids?
  • sapphire1166
    sapphire1166 Posts: 114 Member
    My logging is pretty darn tight. My food scale gets used more than my husband gets kisses. Lol. Every once in a while I'll have a day or two where I don't log into MFP, but I'm still weighing food and calculating in my head.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    It sounds to me like you found your maintenance level. Drop off a 100 calories a day or so and see if it helps.
  • jame0529
    jame0529 Posts: 30 Member
    I went through the same thing when I originally lost weight (before I gained it back, sadly). I think I almost got kind of comfortable where I was - I wanted to lose more, but since I had so much less to lose, it didn't feel as urgent. With that, I think my tracking slacked and maybe I cheated a little more than I would have when I was heavier. Try really being diligent with tracking, and maybe throw in some exercise/weight lifting. Even if the scale doesn't move as much, your body will change for the better and maybe that will give you something new to focus on.

Good luck!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    If your logging is tight and you aren't going to increase exercise, you will have to cut back on calories, or decide you are happy maintaining. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    kd_mazur wrote: »
    It sounds to me like you found your maintenance level. Drop off a 100 calories a day or so and see if it helps.

Cosigned.
  • BuccaneersFan
    BuccaneersFan Posts: 36 Member
    It's very likely your body has adapted to 1,400 calories and that is your new maintenance level. You said you increased your calorie intake "a bit" to get your metabolism going, how much did you increase it and for how long? You can reverse diet (increase calories very very slowly) to recover your metabolic rate, but it can take a long time depending on the particular person.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    If your logging is tight and you aren't going to increase exercise, you will have to cut back on calories, or decide you are happy maintaining. :)

This.

It sounds like you have a busy lifestyle already so I can understand that you may not want to give time to going to a gym too. I tend to exercise at home - I have a stationary bike that I hop onto for half an hour at a time, or even 10 mins if that is all I can give. I don't go flat out to build up a sweat (so I don't need to spend time changing into exercise clothes) but just at a light rate to burn off some extra calories. By the end of the day (especially if I'm cycling while watching some tv in the evening or reading a book) it adds up nicely in helping reach a calorie deficit.

• krwallis
    krwallis Posts: 21 Member
    edited February 2016
    I am living this very same thing right now! I just dropped my calories by 100 to 1100 a day and I am going to make an effort to not eat back at least half of my exercise calories burned, possibly none of them. I started at 202 and have lost 26 since September and bounce between 178 and 176. The last 2 pounds are my on again/off again pounds that I have been fighting for 2 months and I'm only half way through my journey of losing down to a weight of 150 or another 25 pounds. If we all stick together we can get to goal!