Baked Potato Dropped my Protein!

What the heck! What is up with that? I had 19% of Protein, I wanted to bump it up to 20%, so I added a baked potato hoping it would bump the protein up today. Instead, my protein dropped a point! Can anyone explain this?

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Why would you think a baked potato has protein? It's a starchy carb.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    when you add more carbs it lowers the protein and fat %'s and ups the carb one. . still has to equal 100%
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    ktekc wrote: »
    when you add more carbs it lowers the protein and fat %'s and ups the carb one. . still has to equal 100%

this
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    A baked potato does have protein, but percentage-wise it has much more carbohydrates. So your total number of calories went up much more than the protein number. An increase in the denominator makes for a smaller percentage.

You are probably better off shooting for a set number of grams of protein, rather than fiddling with percentages, IMO, since the percentage fluctuates based on the total number of calories you eat.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    That makes sense! Thank you for explaining that to me. I will choose something else for supper.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Focusing on grams really is the way to go.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    llbrixon wrote: »
    That makes sense! Thank you for explaining that to me. I will choose something else for supper.

what difference does 1% make?
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    I want to get to 20% for a challenge each day without going over Calories.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    a baked potato has a few grams of protein but is mostly carbohydrates. eating it increased your total amout of calories and did not proportionally increase your total protein intake, so the percentage of protein went down. thats how percentages work.

if you want a higher percentage of protein, you need to eat more foods that have a higher proportion of protein.