How to get back on track

End of January I stopped working out and haven't watched what I eat due to a situation.
Now that the situation is over I'm looking to get back into it.
I feel like I'm in a slump and hate it.
How do I get back on track? Help!

Replies

• andrewjbaker1984
    andrewjbaker1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Take it slow. Maybe just aim to work out one or two days next week, cut the odd bit of junk out of your diet, slightly cut down the portion sizes.

The thought of going from doing no exercise and eating want you want to working out regularly and cutting out all the food you love is always going to be a tough one. Maybe a lesser version of that but still healthier than where you are now will be more manageable?
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    I agree, work your way back up. If working out is something you can do at home, try it for just 15 minute increments, then next week build it back to 30, etc. You just need to rebuild the habit, so even if you don't get a full workout in, it's important to get SOMETHING in. At the beginning of last summer, I wanted to build a morning exercise habit, instead of rolling out of bed & heading to work. It was hard, but I did it by getting up and going out for a walk, even if it was only once around the block. Building the routine was more important than calories burned. It didn't take long before I was getting a consistent 30-45 minute walk in before I went to the office. You can do it!
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    PS - find a way to reward yourself. Designate a jar, or box, and throw in a dollar for every workout you do, or $5, whatever works for you. When you reach a goal # of workouts, or minutes, use that money to buy yourself some new workout music on Itunes, or new equipment, or something else as a reward for all of your hard work.
  • amandacagle560
    amandacagle560 Posts: 20 Member
    Just remind yourself of how much better you feel after working out. That works for me usually. I might not enjoy the first 10-15 minutes of it, but after I'm finished I know I would have disappointed myself if I hadn't done it! Would love for you to add me so we can help motivate each other!
  • snickers6486
    snickers6486 Posts: 10 Member
    I to am in the same boat. As of November of last year I had lost 50+ pound using MFP. I decided to take the holidays off from strict logging. I had cut down on my exercise routine also. As of last week I had gained a little over 15 pounds back. I was having a hard time getting my mind back into the concept of logging again. Even though it was successful for me I wanted to think I could control it without the need to log. Well, this past Monday I started logging again. I am taking it slow getting back into it. I plan to get back on the treadmill starting next week. Keep in mind that this is a marathon and not a sprint. I you get off track or slow down, keep at it. Start out with goals that can be achieved. There is nothing like looking down at the scale and seeing your hard work show up with that lower number on the staring back at you. If you would like more motivation feel free to message me.
  • ifyouonlyknew1492
    ifyouonlyknew1492 Posts: 64 Member
    Thank you everyone! I needed this and a little good news, my SIL invited me to WO with her this weekend. :) I'm super excited to as I miss WO and the way I feel afterwards. I need to start eating right again and portion control. I used to be very good about my sodium, staying away from bread, pasta, milk, cheese, etc. I ate a lot of chicken and veggies so this weekend should be a great kick start.

I can do this, we can do this! Happy Friday!
  • krystal193
    krystal193 Posts: 38 Member
    Everyone needs a little booster every once in a while.
    You can add me on MFP.
    If you have a Fitbit you can send me a Fitbit friend request.
    And you can also add me as a friend on Bounts, the activity rewards site. If you use the referral code Chastain1335 at www.Bounts.it when you sign up you will get 100 points after you do your first activity.
    Also search for groups on Facebook. There are plenty of motivation driven groups that cater to individual goals/interest like Newbie Runners, People over 300 lbs, Cancer Survivors, and Healthy Recipes. There's even a group where you just post gym selfies!
    And of course if you can't find one, start one. Good luck!