Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Questioning Intermittent Fasting

2»

Replies

• LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    I'm with @dubird on this one. When I diet with exercise, I end up doing four meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner and a late snack to make up for whatever I've exercised away. I've got my goal set to my first mini-goal bmr and I don't want to net below that. My exercise is counted by my fitbit. I hardly ever enter anything else, except when I do a bit of food prep.
    For me, IF would make me weak, and then give me headaches, and then make me feel weak again. My moods would be all over the place, too.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    dubird wrote: »
    I'm not as knowledgeable about IF as a lot of people, but my understanding is it's just shifting your calories around to a specific time period in the day. You would get the same effect on weight loss as spreading it out over the course of the day, so it's not really 'starving and binging'. I personally can't do IF, my blood sugar will crash. I do best on eating several times a day, just smaller amounts. But there are people that do better consolidating their calories for the day. To me, it's just a different way to organize your diet, and if it works for you, awesome.

Nailed it.

• kakitis
    kakitis Posts: 8 Member
    kakitis wrote: »
    I've also read on leangains that you are supposed to do the ''recharge'' periodically - eat full day, to recharge metabolism in order to boost the IF effect. Anyone does that? I think there is full plan description once you buy his book, but I'm not planning on doing that..
    Sorry to bring this up again, but anyone know anything abot ''refill'' days when you should break the protocol and eat through the day?

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    I've also read on leangains that you are supposed to do the ''recharge'' periodically - eat full day, to recharge metabolism in order to boost the IF effect. Anyone does that? I think there is full plan description once you buy his book, but I'm not planning on doing that..
    Sorry to bring this up again, but anyone know anything abot ''refill'' days when you should break the protocol and eat through the day?

Now and then I'll eat through the day. To be honest, if I eat much earlier in the day I just want to keep eating through the day. Not that it really bothers me, it's just different.

I've eating on a somewhat modified 16:8 type diet most of my adult life. I just don't eat a lot early in the day. I grab my coffee, maybe a bagel or something sometimes, and the rest of my calories are usually after work. I can eat more or less what I want later in the day, so it's not restrictive.

The only real exception I've made is I've started eating some before longer/harder workouts. I usually have no problem working out with the energy level, but some carbs before the fact are good insurance. Plus, if I workout in the afternoon and burn 1000+ calories, well then the 3000 calories I have to eat before I go to sleep is just a LOT to eat. It's more comfortable to me to split it up some.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member

I've not heard or read about anything like this (but IF is not a subject that I spend much time researching - I have a method that works for me and I stick with that) but I can tell you that I sometimes eat all day.

I tend to have the occasional full day of eating when to do otherwise would be a pain. So, for example when travelling I've been in situations where the family have wanted to go out for a special breakfast. Not wanting to miss out on that (and knowing that I find it VERY hard to eat breakfast then fast until an evening meal) I'll have the breakfast and then just have a small lunch to tide me over.

I guess that if you are using IF in maintenance then recharge days are not required and you only need to put them in if you feel like it. But, for those using IF as their method of calorie restriction would need to be more careful about how long they were in deficit and, similar to with other methods of calorie restriction, may find that the occasional, planned "cheat day/cheat meal/re-feed/refill" is a decent strategy for managing that.

Note: The theories around cheat days/meals seem to focus upon the idea that eating at higher cals (and especially higher carb loading) increases Leptin which then reduces hunger for a longer period of time. But, from my (limited) reading on that matter, it seems that a day of eating at higher carb & cals (let alone a single meal) is insufficient to have an effect upon leptin and the most likely advantage to a cheat meal is psychological (something to look forward to) and allows the dieter to indulge in some foods that they may not have the calories to eat otherwise.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member

I never understood the purpose of a 'recharge' day if you're doing IF. I would think that if IF works best for you, why do you need to shift your calories around one day from time to time?
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    edited February 2016
    Dr Mercola interviewing Dr Varady does a very nice job explaining IF and she backs it with studies
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzkVmXe9NMU
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    edited February 2016
    Based from what I've read and own experience - snacking on apples to curb appetite is a bad idea, as apples tend to boost your appetite. Proven fact :(

I wouldn't concern yourself with the "IF effect "

The basic plan is solid, but some of Martins later claims were overblown.

His early stuff was solid and reasonable, but then he went full guru, lost his mind, and rage quit the internet.

I don't have a tendency to rage over any diet plan. Keeping my head cool, and you can tell from subject title- still questioning the reasoning behind:)

I didn't think you did. Martin just got a little loopy towards the end.

Leangains is a solid plan, just don't worry about the minutiae (hormonal benefits, etc). IIRC it's pretty flexible and customizable to your training schedule.

I did it for awhile and had decent results (dropped a weight class and improved both my lifts) but it wasn't something I could do permanently.

One thing Martin mentions for women, though, is to be aware of negative hormonal changes. I experienced this doing 16:8 for an extended period. Once I adjusted to 14:10 I lost steadily with no issues. (Note: Once I transitioned into maintenance, I found I couldn't physically eat so much in that window, so I no longer IF really in order to eat enough.)

I never understood the purpose of a 'recharge' day if you're doing IF. I would think that if IF works best for you, why do you need to shift your calories around one day from time to time?

When I was IFing, I would have a few days once a month (ahem...) where I was actually hungry in the am and I would just push through with water, coffee or tea. When my little bro moved backed to town we would have an early Sunday morning brunch once a month or so (I have never let a "diet" interfere with family fun - one day isn't going to hurt). I just thought my body got used to IF eventually. Maybe that was an unintentional recharge day?

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Based from what I've read and own experience - snacking on apples to curb appetite is a bad idea, as apples tend to boost your appetite. Proven fact :(

I wouldn't concern yourself with the "IF effect "

The basic plan is solid, but some of Martins later claims were overblown.

His early stuff was solid and reasonable, but then he went full guru, lost his mind, and rage quit the internet.

I don't have a tendency to rage over any diet plan. Keeping my head cool, and you can tell from subject title- still questioning the reasoning behind:)

I didn't think you did. Martin just got a little loopy towards the end.

Leangains is a solid plan, just don't worry about the minutiae (hormonal benefits, etc). IIRC it's pretty flexible and customizable to your training schedule.

I did it for awhile and had decent results (dropped a weight class and improved both my lifts) but it wasn't something I could do permanently.

One thing Martin mentions for women, though, is to be aware of negative hormonal changes. I experienced this doing 16:8 for an extended period. Once I adjusted to 14:10 I lost steadily with no issues. (Note: Once I transitioned into maintenance, I found I couldn't physically eat so much in that window, so I no longer IF really in order to eat enough.)

When I was IFing, I would have a few days once a month (ahem...) where I was actually hungry in the am and I would just push through with water, coffee or tea. When my little bro moved backed to town we would have an early Sunday morning brunch once a month or so (I have never let a "diet" interfere with family fun - one day isn't going to hurt). I just thought my body got used to IF eventually. Maybe that was an unintentional recharge day?

Well, celebrations and special time with friends and family I can see breaking IF for. But then, I'm a Southerner and we celebrate everything with food. XD So unintentional recharge days would happen and I can totally see that. I just don't get the logic of planning for it.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    Dr Mercola interviewing Dr Varady does a very nice job explaining IF and she backs it with studies

Dr. Mercola...
    48575719.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    senecarr wrote: »

Dr. Mercola...
    48575719.jpg

MercoLOLa. One of the biggest crackpots out there. He sure sells a lot of books and products to people who don't see through his junk science though.
  • jordiblu
    jordiblu Posts: 145 Member
    I have been practicing IF for years - way before became a trend- and it's very helpful in keeping me fit yet satisfied
    Basically I eat from 10am-6pm
    Typical calorie is 1600-1800 daily and double that on weekends
    I eat only whole foods no chemicals or anything processed
    I also don't eat dairy or gluten
    I have a very high fat diet (good fats) and protein tons of vegetables and fruit
    The key is not that you're able to shovel tons of food in a short window of time but rather to give your body a chance to detox at night when you're least active
    I get up at 5 am and I workout in the morning so my appetite is large during day light and I go to bed early (by 10 pm) so I don't need extra energy at night
    When I close the kitchen at 6 or 7 pm I know that it's my time to wind down and get into relax mode
    FYI I do drink wine at night and have been for 20 years
    I'm 5'7" and weigh 120
    Works for me
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    senecarr wrote: »

Dr. Mercola...
    48575719.jpg

14azve9itwew.png
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    All Intermittent Fasting is, is a "trick" to get you to pay more attention to what you're eating so you eat less calories. It makes absolutely no difference what time of day you're eating when it comes to weight loss. All that matters is that, on average, you're at a caloric deficit on a daily basis. Any other fads and tricks people have thought of are just gimmicks that only "work" because it gets people to eat less in general, which is *really* what is working.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    I am on IF for bit over a week now, and must say - I love it so far! Probably, easiest weight-maintenance plan I've come across. Mind, I've never really been a breakfast-person, so I alternated my plan to 19:5 schedule. I fast from ~9PM-15PM and break fast ~15PM-8PM. Sometimes changing the hours to later, if I have a workout.

However, although this helped me to lose excess water-weight over the week, I am still questioning the point of the IF in general... If you starve yourself (that I guess is why you lose weight) and then basically are allowed to binge for 8 hours (not binge really, but eat all your macros) that can be a lot of food! And also normally in the evening, before sleep... how the hell does that even work, lol?

Of course, I do make smart choices and still base my food on higher protein intake, less carbs, etc.. but still?

Anyone else on IF and what are your reviews in a longer run?

What's with the use of the words starve and binge? Nothing about this tells you to starve and binge. There is a huge difference between fasting for a period of time/eating all of your calories in another one and starving yourself/binging.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    jordiblu wrote: »
    I have been practicing IF for years - way before became a trend- and it's very helpful in keeping me fit yet satisfied
    Basically I eat from 10am-6pm
    Typical calorie is 1600-1800 daily and double that on weekends
    I eat only whole foods no chemicals or anything processed
    I also don't eat dairy or gluten
    I have a very high fat diet (good fats) and protein tons of vegetables and fruit
    The key is not that you're able to shovel tons of food in a short window of time but rather to give your body a chance to detox at night when you're least active
    I get up at 5 am and I workout in the morning so my appetite is large during day light and I go to bed early (by 10 pm) so I don't need extra energy at night
    When I close the kitchen at 6 or 7 pm I know that it's my time to wind down and get into relax mode
    FYI I do drink wine at night and have been for 20 years
    I'm 5'7" and weigh 120
    Works for me

What are you detoxing from?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I am on IF for bit over a week now, and must say - I love it so far! Probably, easiest weight-maintenance plan I've come across. Mind, I've never really been a breakfast-person, so I alternated my plan to 19:5 schedule. I fast from ~9PM-15PM and break fast ~15PM-8PM. Sometimes changing the hours to later, if I have a workout.

However, although this helped me to lose excess water-weight over the week, I am still questioning the point of the IF in general... If you starve yourself (that I guess is why you lose weight) and then basically are allowed to binge for 8 hours (not binge really, but eat all your macros) that can be a lot of food! And also normally in the evening, before sleep... how the hell does that even work, lol?

Of course, I do make smart choices and still base my food on higher protein intake, less carbs, etc.. but still?

all IF is, is an eating strategy to get you into a deficit, that is all.

I did it for about six months and generally enjoy it; however, i could not make it fit into my lifestyle and I went back to eating about four times a day.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    EQComics wrote: »
    All Intermittent Fasting is, is a "trick" to get you to pay more attention to what you're eating so you eat less calories. It makes absolutely no difference what time of day you're eating when it comes to weight loss. All that matters is that, on average, you're at a caloric deficit on a daily basis. Any other fads and tricks people have thought of are just gimmicks that only "work" because it gets people to eat less in general, which is *really* what is working.
    ndj1979 wrote: »

all IF is, is an eating strategy to get you into a deficit, that is all.

I did it for about six months and generally enjoy it; however, i could not make it fit into my lifestyle and I went back to eating about four times a day.

Do these "tricks" or strategies apply to people who are gaining weight by eating in an IF fashion?

It's simply a way of eating, and no more or less any guarantee of weight control than any other method of eating. Is three, six, or any number of meals a day NOT a strategy for eating?
This discussion has been closed.