Different measurements on your right and left sides?

Hey Everyone,
I'm just wondering if this is normal. I took my measurements a few weeks ago using my left side because I assumed both sides were the same. I took them today and had lost a half inch on my left thigh so checked my right just to see if I was right and not holding the tape too tight or something. My right thigh is a full inch and a half smaller, measuring at the same spot. What the heck?
My left is 31.5 at the fullest spot and the right is 30 exactly in the same spot.
I checked my upper arms and my left is 14 and right is 14.5 in the same spot.
Is this normal? I'm extremely concerned for some reason and don't want one side of my body to be stronger or leaner than the other. I'm doing balanced training (squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, bench presses, barbell rows, et cet) and I did notice my left arm is much weaker than my right arm, but for the legs to have such a difference just seems weird. I know it's normal to have one foot sightly bigger or one breast bigger, but I never imagined your leg or arm measurements would be different on each side.

What should I do?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Yup. You usually have one side that's stronger than the other, or at least that's been my experience and my trainer agreed. It's not like you'll hulk out on one side and be a string bean on the other though.
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    My left and right sides are different too, so it's probable normal.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Same here. It's a bit annoying to see more bat wing on the right arm than the left arm .. so I don't look lol.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    one side is always larger than the other. for me its my left, even though im right handed

and for the sake of measurements i always measure my 'bigger' side. LOL
  • My measurements differ by about a 0.5 to 1 inch... bigger on the left for me. It's quite normal, few bodies are perfectly symmetrical :smile:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Humans aren't symmetrical. My left side is bigger and it's generally my more dominant side too (stronger, more flexible, my preferred leading side to dance) but I'm right handed just to be even odder.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Perfectly normal. I am not at all ambidextrous so my right arm has quite a bit more muscle than my left making it bigger. But my legs differ a little too.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    At a glance the human body appears symmetrical but it isn't. You probably also have one foot larger than the other, one leg longer, one breast larger, and etc. Your body is not symmetrical.