Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Problem With The Raw Food Movement

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    robs_ready wrote: »
    the raw food diet, if done correctly, can be healthy. But I don't think it's good for long term. Adding one cooked meal a day is a good way to incorporate a raw diet while still eating some cooked foods and getting optimum nutrition

So what does one eat on a raw food diet to get adequate protein? Nuts?

Sashimi and steak tartare?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Don't forget raw egg.

Always have to have raw quail egg in steak tartare. Should try it in tuna tartare.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    There's a certain colorful Instagram account by a raw foodie, and I've perused it with a kind of morbid fascination. I'm struck by how much time and prep are involved in eating this way, not to mention the truck loads of nuts she uses to make fillings for her "cakes" and "pies." She predominantly uses cashews for these things, and they're not cheap. So I gather this way of eating is time-consuming and expensive.

Not to mention very, very silly.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited February 2016
    I don't really care what others eat but the raw milk craze strikes me as just that - crazy.
    image.png
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Well if they're making themselves sick, it sounds like a self-solving problem to me. I'm all for stupidity that results in its own demise - that's natural selection.

This 100%

I'll sit back eating my cooked food while they do themselves in;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    This woman has been weighing mouse brains and has convinced me that cooking is a very, very good thing.

https://www.ted.com/talks/suzana_herculano_houzel_what_is_so_special_about_the_human_brain?language=en
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited February 2016
    Outbreaks happen all the time. We should be due for another million pounds of beef recall any time now. Cooked Food Movement problem?

Protein powder meal replacement thingies such as this product aren't really typical of what a raw foodist eats anyway. There's like 100 ingredients in that powder and it's all been sitting in a warehouse; it's junk IMO.

Beef recalls for things like... listeria? That can be solved by cooking. E. Coli? Solved by cooking... parasites? Solved by cooking... Mad Cow? Caused by cows eating raw cows. ...

And when I say cooking - I mean cooking all the way through to a safe internal temperature.

I've heard people in the USA will actually eat undercooked ground beef. If that's true, they're asking for sickness. I really hope it's not true...
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    There are a lot of misconceptions here. Most raw foodists do not consume any animal products as they are raw vegans. Also most raw vegans do not eat any Garden of Life shakes or anything like that, just pure raw fruits and veggies and some grains and nuts. Eating raw is super healthy if done correctly. I know many raw vegans that are thriving amazingly well and curing diseases and lifting heavy and being all super-human and *kitten*. So don't throw them all into one bucket. Usually they heal themselves and then slowly start adding back in some healthy cooked foods. Or they continue eating raw. (not milk!) And it's all good.
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Years ago, I saw an episode of Wife Swap where one of the families ate raw chicken and such. Their theory (IIRC) was that it increased their immune system by exposing them to bacteria. Gross!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    live2dream wrote: »
    There are a lot of misconceptions here. Most raw foodists do not consume any animal products as they are raw vegans. Also most raw vegans do not eat any Garden of Life shakes or anything like that, just pure raw fruits and veggies and some grains and nuts. Eating raw is super healthy if done correctly. I know many raw vegans that are thriving amazingly well and curing diseases and lifting heavy and being all super-human and *kitten*. So don't throw them all into one bucket. Usually they heal themselves and then slowly start adding back in some healthy cooked foods. Or they continue eating raw. (not milk!) And it's all good.

Prove it
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

No. No, they're not.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

No. No, they're not.

scurvy....
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Raw Ground Beef; not uncommon, what is uncommon is the misconception is that simply because it is 'raw' meat, means it will kill you if eaten. Same with eggs... milk... and many other 'raw' things. I've eaten raw ground beef, cow was slaughtered by our neighbor, and it was delicious, and not a single person died that day, or the next... one was hit by a car, survived; but, people worry to much; humans are rather hardy for how much be fret about little things...

Then again... someone can survive a 10 story fall, next person slips in the shower and explodes violently like a M-10 tank mine... weird world we live in.

Let people live their life!!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

Funny, the only cure I've heard was the woman that cured her having periods with her raw vegan, fruitiarian diet. Cured as in she doesn't have them, and thinks that reflects some idea that her body no longer has a monthly need to remove toxins out of that area.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    edited March 2016
    I've heard people in the USA will actually eat undercooked ground beef. If that's true, they're asking for sickness. I really hope it's not true...

I will eat a medium rare burger or steak tartare when provided by an establishment whose kitchen I trust to be up to standards. I don't eat raw ground beef regularly, and sorry to burst your bubble, but a friend of mine was raised to eat a bite of the raw ground beef before she cooks it. Maybe back in her Grandma's youth is was a way to test if it was still OK? My friend's in her mid-40s as well, and she never gets sick from it. We joke that it's given her an iron stomach.

This behavior isn't true of all Americans though *_*
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    I know an ultra marathoner who eats raw hamburger for energy on long runs. Seems weird to me, but he swears by it and has never gotten sick... possibly due to luck? No idea.
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    People fear the unknown... Sushi is raw fish... just saying. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Less likely to get sick from raw beef than chicken or pork, as long as there is care taken during slaughter not to contaminate the meat with offal or surface bacteria. One still runs the risk of ingesting a parasite; nasty business in itself.

The video I linked talked about how cooking breaks down the food to make it palatable, and more easily absorbed. This isn't just meat; it includes vegetables. Cooking makes eating more efficient, giving us free time to think, tell stories, and invent stuff. This is one of the evolutionary legs up that allowed us to leap ahead of our closest competitors.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited February 2016
    akoivisto wrote: »

Actually, no it isn't.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    akoivisto wrote: »

That would be sashimi. The literal translation of sushi is either "it's sour" or "with rice." I'm not sure which one is correct, I've been told both. Sushi can have raw fish, but it can have lots of other things and no fish.

Growing up, I had a friend who used to eat raw ground beef. When her mom would go shopping and get a pound of it, she'd open it and steal little chunks of it, roll it into a ball and pop them in her mouth. Completely grossed me out. Blech! I can't have any pink in my meat at all, so I am certainly not someone who could do raw meat of any kind.
This discussion has been closed.