psulemon wrote: »
    This should be added to the Most Helpful Posts section

I am working that angle ;).

Maybe the mods should be notified. ;)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    kingkam21 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    can you add that hard gainers are a myth too please?
    If a fast metabolism is a myth than why do I poop after every meal?? I've been skiny my whole life, as a kid I used to eat over 10 pb&js back to back and remain skinny. I used to eat lettuce bowls of ice cream to myself, 2 large burritos from Alberto's to myself and after all this, I still ate more as a kid. And I am the same way now, except I go to the gym now and eat more beneficial foods. As a kid, I ate more than anyone in my family. And I literally pooped after every meal, 4+ times a day. My dad told me he was the same way as a kid, and his dad was the same aswell. If this is not a fast metabolism than what is it??? Yes I was active as a kid, but aren't all kids active. I'm 8 months into my body building journey and I am confused about this topic, because I believe I have a fast metabolism because I poop 4-6 times a day (after eating 4-6 meals a day). If it's a myth than is there something wrong with me internally??

I believe that people who poop regularly have good gut bacteria and their colon responds to the stomach filling up by relieving the pressure.

Not all kids or people are as active as others. Hard gainers tend to be people who are not only active through sports, but are the kind of people that rarely sit still for long periods of time. You might also eat more at each meal, but less snacking through the day. I have friends who were hard gainers until they started desk jobs.
  • psulemon wrote: »
    richln wrote: »
    Where is the pizzas? It can turn turtles into ninjas!

Holy crap on a cracker, I forgot the pizza.... added that piece of heaven!

And French Fries.

Very nice post @psulemon ... even though I was clickbaited. :p
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    This should be added to the Most Helpful Posts section

You can nominate a post here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260479/nominate-posts-for-announcement-status-stickies#latest (this one has already been added) but they only adjust the stickies every 6 months or so. May have to wait a while.
  • kingkam21
    kingkam21 Posts: 76 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    kingkam21 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    can you add that hard gainers are a myth too please?
    If a fast metabolism is a myth than why do I poop after every meal?? I've been skiny my whole life, as a kid I used to eat over 10 pb&js back to back and remain skinny. I used to eat lettuce bowls of ice cream to myself, 2 large burritos from Alberto's to myself and after all this, I still ate more as a kid. And I am the same way now, except I go to the gym now and eat more beneficial foods. As a kid, I ate more than anyone in my family. And I literally pooped after every meal, 4+ times a day. My dad told me he was the same way as a kid, and his dad was the same aswell. If this is not a fast metabolism than what is it??? Yes I was active as a kid, but aren't all kids active. I'm 8 months into my body building journey and I am confused about this topic, because I believe I have a fast metabolism because I poop 4-6 times a day (after eating 4-6 meals a day). If it's a myth than is there something wrong with me internally??

I believe that people who poop regularly have good gut bacteria and their colon responds to the stomach filling up by relieving the pressure.

Not all kids or people are as active as others. Hard gainers tend to be people who are not only active through sports, but are the kind of people that rarely sit still for long periods of time. You might also eat more at each meal, but less snacking through the day. I have friends who were hard gainers until they started desk jobs.

This makes sense to me. I am always bouncing my legg up and down or shaking my feet when I lay down. But can this activity be so active that it's like cardio to me and others that have as much energy as I do? I understand that this movement will burn more calories but does it truly make that much of a difference? I don't really pay attention to my movement, my wife will have me realise that I'm shaking my leggs because it bothers her. It just happens because I have a lot of energy and don't know what to do with myself
  • KeniT0704
    KeniT0704 Posts: 1 Member
    Great Post!
  • vincetorres9
    vincetorres9 Posts: 2 Member
    I would definitely say I am a "hard gainer". My body type is ectomorph. I am 20 years old, and I lead an active lifestyle. I play football ⚽️ at rep level; we train 2 times a week for about 1.5-2 hours and play weekends. I also play indoor once a week. I believe that I struggle to eat enough food to be able to properly gain weight. As a result of my 5 years playing football, I have developed a decent amount of lean muscle mass in my legs, and I have a decent core, but I wouldn't say I am ripped. I've never really built my upper body however, and I have started going to the gym. I started at the beginning of this week. I'm 6'3 and weigh 70.6 kg at time of writing this comment.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited February 2016
    People can have different metabolisms due to thyroid being low, normal, high. I was always very active, as others described. But, I was recently over prescribed antibiotics. And was under extreme stress, sleep deprivation, became sedentary after previously being extremely active, and dealing with a bizarre medical injury. I realized I was eating food that I wasn't digesting. I lost weight, and it's very challenging to gain, but I have a lot of food intolerance right now from my lack of ability to digest, and handle quantities of food, and also because I have histamine reactions to foods. A microbiome imbalance can influence weight gain issues as well. My Rheumatologist said what I am experiencing is what celiac disease is like. So, I am working on healing that. I try to just keep eating all day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I would definitely say I am a "hard gainer". My body type is ectomorph. I am 20 years old, and I lead an active lifestyle. I play football ⚽️ at rep level; we train 2 times a week for about 1.5-2 hours and play weekends. I also play indoor once a week. I believe that I struggle to eat enough food to be able to properly gain weight. As a result of my 5 years playing football, I have developed a decent amount of lean muscle mass in my legs, and I have a decent core, but I wouldn't say I am ripped. I've never really built my upper body however, and I have started going to the gym. I started at the beginning of this week. I'm 6'3 and weigh 70.6 kg at time of writing this comment.

Somatotypes are not a thing and is highly debunk. You were very young and active which makes is very hard to gain weight unless you can down a ton of calories. I was in no different of a position as you as i was a soccer and ice hockey player in high school. And due to that I had a high tdee, not a high metabolism.
  • psuLemon
    People can have different metabolisms due to thyroid being low, normal, high. I was always very active, as others described. But, I was recently over prescribed antibiotics. And was under extreme stress, sleep deprivation, became sedentary after previously being extremely active, and dealing with a bizarre medical injury. I realized I was eating food that I wasn't digesting. I lost weight, and it's very challenging to gain, but I have a lot of food intolerance right now from my lack of ability to digest, and handle quantities of food, and also because I have histamine reactions to foods. A microbiome imbalance can influence weight gain issues as well. My Rheumatologist said what I am experiencing is what celiac disease is like. So, I am working on healing that. I try to just keep eating all day.

For the majority of people metabolism is not going to vary much. Yes, there are some with hyperthyroidism but its rather rare. Its more common to have hypothyroidism which would make gaining easy.

But the fact is, most people who believe they are a hard gainer just dont eat enough. We see the threads day in and out. Once they start logging their calories, we see they are in the standard deviation. In all my time here, i have seen one exception and he had hyperthyroidism and struggled to gain at 5000 calories.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    This post made me laugh at myself. I've always considered myself a "hard-gainer", i'm 5'6 115 lbs. I incorporated weight training into my fitness routine awhile ago with the plan of building some serious muscle... yet I continue to run 12 km of sprint and hill intervals alternated with an hour of HITT cycling and rowing daily. I guess even the weight training I added is more cardio (30-60 minute kettle bell sessions, plyo circuits, etc.) and I eat a macro split of 40/40/20, most days I'm over in protein and under in carbs and fat... oh lord looking at that in type I'm really not trying to gain weight am I. Sheesh. It's amazing how we can delude ourselves.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    You might (but I would also understand if you didn't) include a point about having testosterone levels checked if all of the above doesn't work. That was the final key for me to drop my hard-gainer status (because T ~150).
  • psuLemon
    fernt21 wrote: »
    This post made me laugh at myself. I've always considered myself a "hard-gainer", i'm 5'6 115 lbs. I incorporated weight training into my fitness routine awhile ago with the plan of building some serious muscle... yet I continue to run 12 km of sprint and hill intervals alternated with an hour of HITT cycling and rowing daily. I guess even the weight training I added is more cardio (30-60 minute kettle bell sessions, plyo circuits, etc.) and I eat a macro split of 40/40/20, most days I'm over in protein and under in carbs and fat... oh lord looking at that in type I'm really not trying to gain weight am I. Sheesh. It's amazing how we can delude ourselves.

Its just human nature. We all want to think we are statistically different but we arent.

But yes, you are doing cardio and cardio weights. If you really want to gain and continue a similar workout program, you can, but you gotta eat real big. Some have that struggle. And that is the only reason many will.suggest lowering or stopping cardio during a bulk.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

For the majority of people metabolism is not going to vary much. Yes, there are some with hyperthyroidism but its rather rare. Its more common to have hypothyroidism which would make gaining easy.

But the fact is, most people who believe they are a hard gainer just dont eat enough. We see the threads day in and out. Once they start logging their calories, we see they are in the standard deviation. In all my time here, i have seen one exception and he had hyperthyroidism and struggled to gain at 5000 calories.

I think my situation should be temporary until I can recover from the medical injury. But, at first I definitely lost weight from not eating enough because of food reactions causing nerve pain in my face and eyes. But, dealing with that caused a change in my gut from eating large quantities of food I wasn't digesting (I was prone to that from being extremely over treated with antibiotics six months before). But, for six months I was eating 2500+ and couldn't gain past 97. But, I was eating food that caused my belly to swell and was passing through me undigested. So, more food was actually making my problem worse. But, it's definitely a challenging situation to deal with this gut problem and eat enough. But, I am working with doctors, keeping food journal, and doing whatever I can to recover. It just takes time.