Portion control containers-what's helped you?

Long story short I've reached my goal as far as weight loss and did it by eating right and excercising..but have fall off. ☹
Working out for the first time in a month tomorrow and looking for help on portion control. I was so good at it last year and looking for a boost.
Anyone use a certain container that helps them not over eat?

Replies

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    A food scale...no container is going to stop you overeating sorry.
  • jgaffney86
    jgaffney86 Posts: 35 Member
    edited February 2016
    I always have measuring cups and scales handy in he kichen. The scale is ALWAYS sitting on the counter for quick access. I also have this bowl set that is used for eating. Can't find a link but the bowls range from quarter cup to 1 cup. Very handy for doing dips, ice cream, or cereal. I also have this

http://http://www.amazon.com/FitPak-Portion-Control-Container-Reusable/dp/B00NSM088G/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1456582436&sr=8-33-spons&keywords=Portion+control+bowls&psc=1".

I love it. Got it at Sam's club for 20 bucks.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Most people in here use scales and food diary to record food intake, it's not really the best place to ask. Food scales won't stop you from overeating though :s You have to be committed. The food diary has been a great tool for me to learn portion control and staying commited. Now I have an idea of what and how much to eat to keep me satisfied and my weight stable, so I stick to that. I use a kind-of container system to plan my meals, a spreadsheet with color codes, silly and easy. I wouldn't want to deal with the additonal mess of actual containers. But if it can help you, use them. There are lots of different designs to make you happy, google it.
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    I use a lot of 1 cup size containers for portion control. Please keep in mind, I still use a food scale to measure for an amount, usually 8 oz. But the one cup container is a good size for that and then I have a grab and go quick meal. The container is a helpful tool, but the scale is the key.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Let's face it, we aren't going to use a food scale for the rest of our lives. I own a company that sells portion cups and I use them a lot for portion control. I eyeball a lot of foods based on the size of the portion cups I know hold X number of ounces. Occasionally I bring out the food scale to make sure I am right and it's always very close. It's not perfect but it's close enough for me.

Google Plastic Souffle Cups and/or Deli Containers (my company doesn't show on page 1 or 2 so this isn't a plug)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    No containers or tricks other than counting calories. It showed me how much I was over eating. I stopped counting because it was driving my wife crazy and I felt that I was retrained on how to eat. Well I increased my beer intake and slacked off my running and 20 pounds later I my need to rethink my methods. I will get back though.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    No containers, but I do weigh my foods and have completely changed the foods I eat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Food scale here. I can jam a lot of food into a little container, especially if I'm prepping while hungry.