40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• Adman7431
    Adman7431 Posts: 2 Member
    Hey all - 41 here and have found myself on a bit of a health-kick recently (mid-life crisis??? lol).
    Given up smoking (cold turkey - been 4 weeks now) - gone from walking 3km a day to walking 10-20km a day (and am doing some short bits of swimming and cycling on the weekends to mix it up) - stopped drinking 2L of Coke+Energy drinks a day (tho admittedly I'm still drinking "sugar free" softdrinks rather than turning it all into water - but its a start!) - and have started trying to cut my calorie intake down to 12-1500/day. Hardest thing tho... after all this I've only lost about 1kg! (Tho I'm hoping that is due to crappy scales that I've just replaced lol).

Trying to get from about 85kg down to 70-75 before I head to Vegas and LA in August (first overseas trip! *excited*)

Not a gym person... havent got much upper-body strength (except when I need it at work weirdly!)... so am hoping that the extra cardio and cutting down the calories will get me there!
  • Hello! I am 45 year old Mom of two and have been battling with trying to get back to the wonderful weight I once was back in my 30s but my body is just NOT having it! I was in fantastic shape two years ago until I started a new job last March that keeps me at my desk 5 days a week from 7-7 (Wall Street)! I have been feeling so unhealthy and decided that I have to implement changes NOW! I would like to lose 10 pounds so I started tracking my 1200 calories a day 10 days ago and have only lost 1.9. Seems low but I'll take it! My body has been going through peri menopause periods, ovulation makes me have anxiety and looking in the mirror at this woman with wrinkles makes me wonder where the years are going...I need "me time" to get healthy again! Glad to have found this group!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Checking in. Still 40+ and can't seem to shake it no matter how hard I try.
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Did Kettlebells this morning (Providence including snatch test, excluding rows due to back). Felt pretty good.

Within an hour though my upper back started to hurt. I have had this pain in my upper back (in between shoulder blades) that has been bothering me for about a week. Seems to relax after a nights sleep (hence able to workout) but flares up every night. Heating pad works for about 30min. I have never had issues with my upper back before, lower back sure, and it seems to be more on my left side maybe where the traps attach. Very bizarre.

I have the weekend off of exercise and if not better come Sunday night I will try and take a few more days off. Kind of feels like it needs a good crack in my spine but I think its muscle based. Frustrating!

Been keeping up pretty well with the diet, although only looking every few days (really I eat the same thing almost every lunch and breakfast) to confirm my calorie count. About 60% to (revised) goal and only 4 lbs from middle goal (former end goal). Hope everyone is doing well and have a great weekend.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    tojo_73 you should check and make sure you haven't popped a rib. I've done that it's unpleasant to say the least!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "Total Body Chisel"=Done!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Welcome to all the new members!

@Adman7431, it sounds like you are on track! Good luck!

@hopedigregorio484, are you working out? If you are, 1200 might be too low. Congrats on making changes!

@Timshel_, I was on a plateau since Jan 11 but I cleaned my diet some more and added extra workouts and now the scale seems to be moving. Are you losing inches? I noticed a loss of inches before I had a loss in weight.

@tojo_73, that sounds painful. IMO, you should have it checked.

I started with a nice workout followed with a long walk with my husband while waiting for one of our dogs to get her teeth cleaned. Below is my step count so far...poor dog not done yet though.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,925 Member
    Nice stepping, Alf!

No cardio, today...basketball playoffs with son, instead. And, been at the hospital all afternoon....hubby might have a blood clot in his leg. Boooooo.

I will lift, tomorrow. BOOM!
  • alf1163
    Beeps, I hope everything turns out ok with your husband!
  • Beeps2011
    It is NOT a clot.....so, that is great news! But, since it is "something" (painful lump and swelling in the calf), they have to check things further. Ultrasound on Monday morning. :)

I lifted, today. BOOM!
  • gam3rguy
    so...the "short version". my car's messed up and I'll be without it for the next few days, sooooo, I walked to the gym! 4.13 miles there...5.25 miles back (I went a different way).

"Back"=Done!

sfy6jvl9beac.png

y7okyrqsa994.png
    ...TIRED NOW!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    It is NOT a clot.....so, that is great news! But, since it is "something" (painful lump and swelling in the calf), they have to check things further. Ultrasound on Monday morning. :)

I lifted, today. BOOM!

Praying for a positive report.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Still going and now down 30lbs...on way to a weight of ~200lbs (will evaluate again then)...so 22 more to go.

Have to go and buy another pair of jeans...the 38's that I finally fit in a month or so ago now are a bit loose (need another belt too...or at least to punch another hole)...about ready to toss all the XL shirts...

Other fun bits: finally did a full set of 8 on the seated leg press (with full ROM) with the stack of 400lbs...when I stared in early December, 255 (my weight) was my limit...my glutes are still thanking me
  • triddering
    triddering Posts: 81 Member
    I have lost 4 lbs this week with the flu... I so wish I would have been fighting for 2 lbs with an elliptical and TRX all week, but I will take the 4 lbs as an upswing to the suffering!
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Getting back in the swing after more than 5 weeks with flu/cold and lower respiratory infection in Jan./Feb. Running a 5k in two weeks... Also thinking about a trio to Croatia in June. Lots of motivation!

Happy Sunday evening to all!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Beeps, really glad to see it is not a clot and hope they sort whatever it is out very soon.
  • gam3rguy
    Beeps2011 wrote: »

I lifted, today. BOOM!
    good luck!

• gam3rguy
    Bis & Tris=DONE!
  • alf1163
    Gam, that's some determination!!!!!! Way to go!

Beeps, good thing is not a clot. Hope they find out what it is.

Congrats to all who have reached goals and are seeing progress. Speedy recovery to those who are ill.

Me? I just HATE the scale!!! I have only lost about 4lbs since early January. I haven't tracked my measurements but most of my clothes are filling much better. Yeah yeah that is better progress but I still want to weigh at the most 130. And I have been eating REALLY well. Oh well...

Have a great Monday!!
  • Beeps2011
    Hubby went for the ultrasound this morning...they spent 90 MINUTES going over the calf WITH the lump, and the calf WITHOUT the lump. He now has to go visit his family dr tomorrow (on a "walk-in" basis....NO appts available!!!) to see what the "results" of the u/s are.

Sheesh.

Hubby now thinks it is probably just a torn-muscle. He really is not a candidate, at all, for "clot" risk. So, neither of us think it is a clot. All good.

I lifted today. In fact, I am going to lift 5 times this week....and I am heading into March-deficit. It is a deficit month, so back to the boring weighing-and-measuring and NO treats and NO Late-night snacking.

The results will be worth it, even if the journey just sucks balls.