Need help understanding calorie deficit

Options
Hi everyone, here is another question for you. In order to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you eat, correct?

Is this done on a daily basis mathematically? For example, if I eat 1000 calories today, I have to exercise & burn at least 1100 calories to burn off the food as well as the stored fat?

If that is accurate, being able to burn 1100 calories every day is a pretty intense workout routine, don't you think?

I walk briskly for 40 mins a day and I've only burned about 300.

Thanks for your help!

~~Michele :)

Replies

• Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Your body automatically burns a certain amount just breathing and performing its daily functions, without you even doing anything so that amount which I believe is over 1200 cals per day also gets taken into account.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    mwood1234 wrote: »
    Is this done on a daily basis mathematically? For example, if I eat 1000 calories today, I have to exercise & burn at least 1100 calories to burn off the food as well as the stored fat?

No, you're misunderstanding. Your body burns a certain amount of calories every day just to keep you alive and keep your organs functioning. This is referred to as your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). It's effectively the amount of calories your body would burn if you were in a comatose state and you couldn't move. On top of your BMR you burn additional calories just moving around during daily activity that isn't exercise. This is referred to as your NEAT (Non Exercise Associated Thermogenesis). When you combine your BMR and your NEAT, most people are burning between 1500 and 3000 calories a day without even doing any dedicated exercise. Obviously the amount differs based on gender, muscle mass, weight, activity level, and other factors. In order to lose weight you just have to eat less than you are burning in total.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

No, you're misunderstanding. Your body burns a certain amount of calories every day just to keep you alive and keep your organs functioning. This is referred to as your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). It's effectively the amount of calories your body would burn if you were in a comatose state and you couldn't move. On top of your BMR you burn additional calories just moving around during daily activity that isn't exercise. This is referred to as your NEAT (Non Exercise Associated Thermogenesis). When you combine your BMR and your NEAT, most people are burning between 1500 and 3000 calories a day without even doing any dedicated exercise. Obviously the amount differs based on gender, muscle mass, weight, activity level, and other factors. In order to lose weight you just have to eat less than you are burning in total.

^^This!
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    No. Your body burns calories on its own. It's called your BMR (basel metobolic rate) These are the calories your body would burn just functioning. Even if you laid in bed in a coma.

Then you have your TDEE (total daily expenditure) These are the calories you burn being alive PLUS your normal daily activity. For example your job and normal exercise level.

You need less than your TDEE to lose weight. 1000 calories per day less to lose 2lb per week.
    500 calories less per day to lose 1lb power week. 250 calories less per day to lose 1/2lb pet week.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Oh no!
    You have what is called a Basal Metabolic Rate, which is what you'd need to just lie in bed all day.
    Mine is about 1300 calories, and I would never go under that.
    Add on your daily activity level which is another 100-500.
    THEN you add on your exercise.
    The total is your calorific needs, or TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)

Depending on how fast you want to lose, you take off the calories then, 250 for a half lb a Week loss, for example.

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options

great explanation!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

+1

Remember, with MFP the deficit is already built in. Eat at the caloric value it gives, based on the goals and stats you've entered and you'll lose weight.
  • mwood1234
    mwood1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhh. That is so interesting and makes much more sense. LOL

And how do I determine my BMR and NEAT?