Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Meat Eater, Vegetarian or Vegan?

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    kmbrvt99 wrote: »
    I'm a vegetarian on the cusp of becoming vegan. I'm a huge believer in knowing where my food comes from so I challenge everyone on this feed to watch a few documentaries such as 'Food Inc' and then ask yourself if you are okay with the way the animals are treated. But to each it's own =)

That's like watching Star Wars to get your information about NASA.

Devil's Advocate: NASA has used ion engines for high efficiency propulsion, and the TIE in Imperial TIE fighter refers to Twin Ion Engine.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    I'm glad that this thread went so well. I was imagining a train wreck when I saw it appear.

I'm extremely glad that almost everyone has consistently said that any of the choices we were offered can be healthy or equally unhealthy.

It's also interesting to see everyone's reasons. The one thing I see over and over again, is personal preference and taste. Makes sense as the only form of dietary intake that will be healthy in the long term will be the one you adhere to and preference and taste will have so much to do with that.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Logically, a "meat eater" (as defined by the OP) is ALWAYS going to be healthier because their diet doesn't exclude foods, yet includes all the foods available to the vegetarian and vegan...

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    _John_ wrote: »
    Logically, a "meat eater" (as defined by the OP) is ALWAYS going to be healthier because their diet doesn't exclude foods, yet includes all the foods available to the vegetarian and vegan...
    That would only be logical if the food not being excluded enhances the diet.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Those foods are theoretically available to them, but when looking at the diets of meat eaters, we can see a wide variation in how often they're actually choosing them. Some people who eat meat eat a lot of plant foods. Others don't.

So it doesn't follow that a meat eater is always going to be healthier than a vegetarian or vegan. Just knowing someone eats meat doesn't tell us much -- it doesn't tell us what others foods they are eating, how many calories they're eating overall, and what their macro/micro intake is.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member

Those foods are theoretically available to them, but when looking at the diets of meat eaters, we can see a wide variation in how often they're actually choosing them. Some people who eat meat eat a lot of plant foods. Others don't.

So it doesn't follow that a meat eater is always going to be healthier than a vegetarian or vegan. Just knowing someone eats meat doesn't tell us much -- it doesn't tell us what others foods they are eating, how many calories they're eating overall, and what their macro/micro intake is.

I didn't mean to say ALL meat eaters are healthier, just that the healthiest subset that can occur is going to be "meat eaters" because all foods are available to choose from.
  • Need2Exerc1se

I didn't mean to say ALL meat eaters are healthier, just that the healthiest subset that can occur is going to be "meat eaters" because all foods are available to choose from.

There doesn't seem to be any logic in that statement.
  • janejellyroll

Is this backed up by any studies?

It's kind of like saying the most educated people are those who live by libraries because they have greatest access to books.

And I don't think we've even established that having all foods available is going to result in the best health. We're assuming that someone who eats a varied diet of plant-based foods is going to be less healthy than someone who eats a varied diet of plant foods plus animal foods. But I don't think that has been established, has it?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I keep protein to about 20% for blood glucose reasons.

I know eating almost like a carnivore seems odd but I think that is because it is uncommon, and because of the anti cholesterol and saturated fats messages (based on what i think was a lack of science to back it up) that became so widely accepted in the past 50 odd years. I think eventually that being a carnivore will be though to be about as unusual as a vegetarian or vegan.
    If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious as to roughly what percentage of body weight does that protein intake work out to be for you.

I keep my protein around 65-75g or so per day with a caloric intake set at about 1500kcal. My weight is 150lb. I find my BG starts being affected once my protein gets above 25%, or over 80-85g.

If my BG starts creeping up, I lower protein a bit, and carbs a lot. I am not doing any consistent exercise, and since a ketogenic diet is muscle sparing, I am sure I am getting enough protein for my needs.

For anyone interested in this, I'd recommend also reading this: "http://anthonycolpo.com/why-low-carb-diets-are-inferior-for-strength-muscle-gains/" and the cited studies.
    I have to wonder though would the results of that study be different if they used diabetics.
    Which of the 5 studies?
    Why do you imagine diabetics would generate different results?
    Basically all of them. I know many diabetics (especially the ones on here) can say from personal experience that eating a diet that is fairly high in carbs (particularly over 60%) is off limits. I know this is more of a conjecture. But given how damaging it would be to their overall health, I can't imagine a full blown diabetic eating 70% carbs and yet having a much improved athletic performance and especially lower cortisol levels over a lower carb amount.

• CassLaBaraque
    CassLaBaraque Posts: 4 Member
    All can be unhealthy... I've been all of them, now vegan since a few months. I occasionally indulge in dairy, when I'm eating out with friends. I'd say it can be easier to eat healthy as a vegan because you have to make sure you get all the nutrients you need, so you pay more attention to what you put in your mouth :) But if you don't care, then yeah, it's pretty easy to stuff on carbs and fat stuff. Vegan desserts are also a bit too easy to make ;)
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    edited February 2016
    Am a meat/chicken/fish (some veggies) eater. :-)

But, lately meats (mainly processed) are associated with some types of cancers, but again it depends whom you ask. For me, I usually eat meats in less (2-3 times/week) moderation, chicken is my main source for proteins and I do eat canned tuna, shrimps 2-3 times a week.

Again, let me say that ALL foods in moderation is good.... all the best.

Thanks.!!
  • senecarr

Logically, a diet that doesn't exclude hemlock is always going to be healthier than one that does, because it includes all those foods and hemlock.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I would say it is easier to eat a varied and balanced diet as a meat eater (I include fish in the meat category since there is no pescatarian option in the OP). Meat eaters have the most product choice, and getting protein needs met is easier if you can have meat.

However, any of the diets listed can be healthy or unhealthy.
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    I think it's easier to lose weightwhen you include lean protein as part of your diet, and it's difficult to do so as a vegetarian. There's no leaner meat than chicken breast, which is very satiating. That said, I strive for a plant-based diet, and indulge in meat and dairy as little as possible for environmental and ethical reasons
  • janejellyroll
    I think it's easier to lose weightwhen you include lean protein as part of your diet, and it's difficult to do so as a vegetarian. There's no leaner meat than chicken breast, which is very satiating. That said, I strive for a plant-based diet, and indulge in meat and dairy as little as possible for environmental and ethical reasons

People avoiding animal products have lots of options for low fat protein sources -- beans, grains, seitan, tofu, and tempeh are not high fat foods. Many protein powders are also low in fat. Lacto-ovo vegetarians also have the option to include low fat dairy and egg whites in their diet.

Is it easier to meet protein goals as a meat eater? Yes, especially for people who are raised eating meat. But it's totally possible for vegetarians and vegans to meet protein goals or include lots of protein in their diet to lose weight. Once you research the foods that are out there and incorporate some new choices into your diet, it isn't especially difficult.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    Uhh... I eat meat and am aware that it's unhealthy and risky. But meat in my mind is the centerpiece of a meal.

I don't like the way they kill or treat animals but I can't change other people

You've been misinformed. It is neither unhealthy nor risky.

ETA unless you're eating it raw.

It is unhealthy

And risky as in who knows if every bit reaches 165 righttr

Being vegetarian is just as bad unless you buy everything organic

As has been said, eating meat is not inherently unhealthy.

Personally, I'd rather gamble that my food thermometer is accurate than that the organic produce is being farmed in a sufficiently sanitary way*. Keep in mind, when your lettuce is contaminated because the irrigation water was contaminated, there's no washing the bacteria away. Since much of it ends up in raw preparations, well. Best hope your immune system is up to the challenge

Granted, the only time I've gotten food poisoning was from a beet and romaine salad - and it was severe. So I may be biased.

* Incidence of widespread contamination like this is very low. I still eat salads. Still of the opinion that properly cooked meat is safer.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    senecarr wrote: »

I know eating almost like a carnivore seems odd but I think that is because it is uncommon, and because of the anti cholesterol and saturated fats messages (based on what i think was a lack of science to back it up) that became so widely accepted in the past 50 odd years. I think eventually that being a carnivore will be though to be about as unusual as a vegetarian or vegan.
    If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious as to roughly what percentage of body weight does that protein intake work out to be for you.

I keep my protein around 65-75g or so per day with a caloric intake set at about 1500kcal. My weight is 150lb. I find my BG starts being affected once my protein gets above 25%, or over 80-85g.

If my BG starts creeping up, I lower protein a bit, and carbs a lot. I am not doing any consistent exercise, and since a ketogenic diet is muscle sparing, I am sure I am getting enough protein for my needs.

Odd, the one time bro science was (incorrectly) carbs can spare protein but I've never seen even bro science, let alone actual research that a ketogenic diet spares muscle, particularly without exercise.
    Generally it is training, calories, and protein that spare muscle.

Ketogenic diets are muscle sparing, meaning they do not catabolize muscle. Someone who is keto adapted will be using fats for fuel so there is less need to use muscle protein to create glucose for energy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1373635/
    Phinney and Volek go into it in their book, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. http://ketogains.com/2015/10/the-art-and-science-of-low-carbohydrate-performance-by-jeff-s-volek-and-stephen-d-phinney-a-summary/
    Getting into the high fat oxidation rates of ketogenic athletes: http://www.ultrarunning.com/features/health-and-nutrition/the-emerging-science-on-fat-adaptation/
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

For anyone interested in this, I'd recommend also reading this: "http://anthonycolpo.com/why-low-carb-diets-are-inferior-for-strength-muscle-gains/" and the cited studies.

This doesn't appear to be a very good study. Perhaps I've read it wrong.

Three day studies won't tell you much of anything about someone on a ketogenic or low carb diet. It usually takes a few weeks for athletes to become fully fat adapted. After three days of having lower carbs (and over 200g of carbs per day is not really that low) people will just have depleted glycogen stores and feel tired, especially if sodium was not increased as well.

A long term study of keto adapted subjects would provide better data. Plus this was not really about muscle sparing abilities of diets.
  • senecarr

I do see what you're trying to say about omnivores. If it was pure set theory, an omnivorous diet would include the set that is vegetarian, and vegetarian would include vegan, therefore an omnivorous selection would have to be at least equal in set of vegan and vegetarian.
    The problem is that diet is more of a weighted, Bayesian probability kind of thing. Removing categories might actually improve the probability of health if those things have tendency to give weight to negative health outcomes, and even if they don't, elimination of neutral items could force increased positive weighted health outcome things - like the average vegan might eat more fruits and vegetables than an omnivore because they seek variety and the categories in meat and dairy are off the menu.
  • senecarr

People avoiding animal products have lots of options for low fat protein sources -- beans, grains, seitan, tofu, and tempeh are not high fat foods. Many protein powders are also low in fat. Lacto-ovo vegetarians also have the option to include low fat dairy and egg whites in their diet.

Is it easier to meet protein goals as a meat eater? Yes, especially for people who are raised eating meat. But it's totally possible for vegetarians and vegans to meet protein goals or include lots of protein in their diet to lose weight. Once you research the foods that are out there and incorporate some new choices into your diet, it isn't especially difficult.

You're also more likely to overlap protein goals with fiber goals when using vegan sources.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    I think it's easier to lose weightwhen you include lean protein as part of your diet, and it's difficult to do so as a vegetarian. There's no leaner meat than chicken breast, which is very satiating.

Actually, pork tenderloin is just as lean, sometimes more so, than chicken breast.