March 2016 Running Challenge

Stoshew71
Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
Spring is almost here. That means warm weather is on the way and perfect time to get back out and start running again. And let this challenge be your motivation. This is your virtual running group to keep you accountable and enjoy a virtual coffee with your fellow runners after you run. Make new friends and learn a few things.

Hi everyone. This is a continuation from the February 2016 Running Challenge which can be found at:
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326548/the-february-2016-running-challenge/

Anyone can join in. New & Old. And if you found this thread late, you can join in at any time.
We have members that are total beginners all the way to marathon maniacs and beyond. We are a friendly and encouraging bunch.

Here the details from last month that applies here again.

Anybody want to join me for a running challenge? Set a goal here and mark it every day here. OPTIONAL: You can post your progress by creating a ticker at http://www.tickerfactory.com (If creating ones seems difficult, then don't let that stop you. Just type in your daily miles here.)

You can run, walk, or do treadmill. Just be consistent. I am setting a goal for 200 miles. Don't let my high (or low) goal intimidate you. Some can do 25, 50; whatever you like. We can help motivate each other. What do you say? If you are new to running, set a low goal. (You can also log your miles in km's if you choose.)

You can set your goal now but wait until Tuesday March 1st to log your runs.

Also, don't forget to join our group which can be found at:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21182-monthly-running-challange

There you will find lots of good info, and it's a place where everyone can talk to each other for further motivation. It's also a place to find help when there is a problem with this thread.

After you run, come in here and post what you did. Keep a running tally of what you did this month, and interact with the others. Many folks come in here and chat it up even on their rest days or while recouping from injury. This is a very social group and we talk about many things to include running. Very friendly bunch here so don't be afraid to say hi (even if this is your first time). Talk about a recent race or one coming up. Ask questions, provide answers, or just learn. Participation is what makes this group successful.

Not quite sure how to log your runs, follow what many other people are doing. Even look at last month's thread that I posted above.

*******OPTIONAL TICKER*************
Info on tickers since I know there will be questions. Sign up for an account http://www.tickerfactory.com and create your ticker.
Then you need to update it after you do a run and post it here. Here is what you will need to do.

After setting up your ticker, you will need to make note of the weblink they give you so you can return. An example would be:

http://www.tickerfactory.com/exercise/w6K1EiX/ <<<< the last part will be a part of the image link (explained below) that will be supplied to you after you initially create your link.

When you return to TickerFactory with the weblink, go to your settings page. Make sure you type your pin in that you set when you created your ticker account.
Then where it says "Your current cumlative value, there is an add button. Just add what you just did and the cumlative value automatically changes. Then hit next.

Now after you added your new miles (or km's) to your ticker you need to post it here.

After you hit next, it will give you a bunch of codes suggesting on how to display your ticker.
Use the one at the bottom where it says Direct Image URL:

It will look something like:
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png

To display that correctly in your post, make sure you place the img tags around that link. So it will look, (removing the spaces in the img tags):

[ img ] http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png [ /img ]

^^^^^^^ Don't forget to remove the spaces between the brackets. ^^^^^^^^^^

Some key things to pay attention to when posting your ticker.

1: Use the link that ends in .png
2. Remember the [ img] and [ /img] tags go in between the link
3. remove the spaces in the img tags before posting
4. YES, there is a / in the second /img tag

Good luck! And happy running (or walking or treadmilling, ect). If you have any trouble or have questions, please feel free to PM me.

Stan

Replies

• Forever_Country09
    Forever_Country09 Posts: 43 Member
    Hey! I would love to join! My goal is to run 80 miles this month. Average 5 miles per run x 4 a week!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Absolutely can't wait to start ... this is the month leading up to our Vegas trip, so will be working *hard* to look the part in the clubs, lol ... I'm going for 120 (pretty aggressive for me). Will do a ticker this month. Thanks for always coordinating this lively group - for a runner who prefers to run alone, this group provides camaraderie and encouragement and doesn't judge me when I say weird things. xo
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    My March goal is 165 miles! I have three races this month too so I'm hoping for some PRs!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Goal is 150 miles. Walking and running planned this month as I transition to 5 runs a week. Upcoming half the 20th. Hoping to keep injury at bay.

Upcoming races:
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  202.55/2016
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Not sure how much to set as my goal. Two disappointing months in a row due to illness and family issues. I think I will go with 90, but hoping to exceed 100.

As always, thanks Stan (@stoshew71) for setting this up!

Good luck, all!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    here we go again

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    ?Mar 14-Great Pi Run?
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

exercise.png
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    I'm going to go with a conservative 55 miles for March. Let's see if I've been able to accurately figure out this whole goal thing.

2016 Races:
    02/21 – Disney Princess Half Marathon – 2:38:29 (included 16 stops to either take photos of something or have my photo taken with something)
    04/02 – Philadelphia Hot Chocolate 15K
    04/09 – Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K
    04/16 – River Horse 6K
    05/01 – Blue Cross Broad Street Run (10 miles)
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    I'll join but can't promise I'll check in all the time. I'm training for the Rock and Roll half marathon in 2 weeks and a 10 miler in early April. Goal is to do 80+ miles in March but don't think I will since I'll be on travel. We shall see.
  • elpearce92
    elpearce92 Posts: 1 Member
    Hiya, I'm an inexperienced runner but I enjoy do running on the treadmill. I'm trying to loose 10lbs before I go on holiday in May and I think a challenge would be good to keep me motivated!

Could someone with a bit more experience than me recommend a realistic running goal for March?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    OK, fine. Twist my arm. I'll join. What the heck. Guess I better see what sort of mileage I have ahead of me. I have to move some weeks around after this downtime from the oblique muscle. The timing of it blew up a whole 3 week mileage base increase that I will have to push out probably 2 more weeks.
  • 4leighbee
    karllundy wrote: »
    Not sure how much to set as my goal. Two disappointing months in a row due to illness and family issues. I think I will go with 90, but hoping to exceed 100.

As always, thanks Stan (@stoshew71) for setting this up!

Good luck, all!

Here's hoping the improving weather will be helpful!
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    For the third month in a row my target is 60 miles, I've not made it yet but I have a good feeling about it this time :) Fingers crossed for no injuries this month!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Going with an even 100 miles for my goal this month. I may or may not make that. I think my training plan calls for something like 75 miles leading up to and including my marathon. Just coming off an injury, I'm still playing it by ear. And who knows what kind of mileage I'll put in after the race. Sooo...total shot in the dark!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2016
    Well, per the plan my mileage this month will be a smidge over 150 miles. I was not expecting that as a monthly total, but that is what's in the plan! :smile:

Thanks for setting this up for us all @Stoshew71!

0/150 Miles

exercise.png

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    @Elise4270 - wow you are really getting up there in mileage!

I'm going for 75. Not too sure I will make it with all my biking, but I'd rather go for a big goal than little.

Trying to find some HMs for later in the year and I think this looks fun. It's at Cocoa Beach and based on I Dream of Jeannie! Your medal is an adorable little Bottle! And you can dress up like I Dream of Jeannie for a contest (Not doing that part I don't think). It's Oct 23rd! Yeah, I've talked myself into it. Only thing is it will still be hot as a biscuit end of October. http://cocoabeachhalfmarathon.com/

exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    edited February 2016
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

I'm going for 75. Not too sure I will make it with all my biking, but I'd rather go for a big goal than little.

Trying to find some HMs for later in the year and I think this looks fun. It's at Cocoa Beach and based on I Dream of Jeannie! Your medal is an adorable little Bottle! And you can dress up like I Dream of Jeannie for a contest (Not doing that part I don't think). It's Oct 23rd! Yeah, I've talked myself into it. Only thing is it will still be hot as a biscuit end of October. http://cocoabeachhalfmarathon.com/

exercise.png

You would make a *great* Jeannie (edited to correct my silly misspelling) - and we all want a picture!! :)
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    edited February 2016
    Awesome march! Let the spring arrive and please let me outrun the black flies! Oh and don't let it get to hot.

New for this month, increasing mileage, rawr. Also running 5 times a week, up from 3-4. I'm terribly excited about this. Still on the hunt for new shoes too.

It looks like I'm running less, but for jan I was including walking miles gained during intervals. February I was following a timed running plan and I just wasn't running as far in the time that the plan expected I would (don't like timed plans) so now I'm following my own very conservative miles ran plan, with focus on increasing mileage slowly. No injuries here!

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    dcresider wrote: »
    I'll join but can't promise I'll check in all the time. I'm training for the Rock and Roll half marathon in 2 weeks and a 10 miler in early April. Goal is to do 80+ miles in March but don't think I will since I'll be on travel. We shall see.

The Dallas RNR? I'll be there.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    I'm in for 35km!
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2016
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

I have 40-50 miles scheduled as walking miles. I'm trying to add discipline, ability and get serious about the 10-15 pounds I keep crying about not losing.

I love the HM. I've kind of looked for something just for me, girls run or sprint triathlon. I'm hoping the group of girls I've started running with will morph in to that opportunity.