Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Help my Keto friend. Say NO to egg fasting

2»

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Aren't we made up of like75% water. If so then while your getting smaller tinier waster wouldn't losing some water make sence ??am I the only one who thinks like this

Humans are about 70% water by weight depending on the individual. Your fat cells are more like 1 part water for about 8-9 parts triglycerides and fatty acids.
    Personally I'm always hoping to increase the percent of me that is water.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    She might get bored of eggs. Otherwise, I'm sure she'll be fine. She won't be starving, eggs are filling, and it can't be any worse than the 2 weeks I spent on a cheese and bread fast in Iceland.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Aren't we made up of like75% water. If so then while your getting smaller tinier waster wouldn't losing some water make sence ??am I the only one who thinks like this

Unfortunately no you aren't the only one who thinks like this

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    The gas...omg...
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    The worst 5 days of my life are still the 5 days someone talked me into trying the HCG diet. It felt like a month, not 5 days. It was 5 years ago and I still can't eat asparagus. I used to love asparagus and I made the mistake of eating it almost exclusively as the veg choice for those 5 miserably long days. I became completely obsessed with when I could eat again, portioning things out.

I shouldn't remember how painful 5 measly days on a diet felt with such vivid detail, but I do. Health wise, it's not going to do much for such a short period of time, but I can tell you from experience, she's likely going to hate eggs when it's done and it might come with a slight dose of an eating disorder.

There is no reason to put your body through that torture. CICO and it will come off.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    The gas...omg...

If you didn't live alone when you started, you would by the time you were done!
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    if you tend to use about 2000 cal a day... 5 eggs is about 400 calories. so for 5 days your calorie defecit is ~1600cal. so over 5 days you can lose (5*1600) = 8000 calories. or 2 lbs of fat. except, it is such an extreme caloric defecit that you won't lose only fat. youll lose muscle too. so you may perhaps lose up to 3lbs of real body mass, a significant portion of which is muscle. the rest of the apparent weight loss will simply be water retention due to the extreme low carb nature of the fast. it will come back slowly even if you resume a low-carb diet.

also, its bland and silly. what is peoples fascination with quick fixes and fasts and cleanses. they don't do anything except unnecessarily tax your willpower and make it that much more miserable to exercise.

what sounds healthier and more sustainable to you, eating nothing but 5 eggs, being sedentary and hating life, or eating a normal diet and going for a 20 minute run every day?
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    In case anyone was still reading. She didn't last 5 days. Did it for 3 days, got sick of eggs and gave up.

Sigh. But she lost 5 POUNDS in 3 days and RESET her metabolism.

I can't even.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    In case anyone was still reading. She didn't last 5 days. Did it for 3 days, got sick of eggs and gave up.

Sigh. But she lost 5 POUNDS in 3 days and RESET her metabolism.

I can't even.

Check back with her in a couple weeks and see how that 5-pound loss is working for her.
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm not supporting the egg fast, but just noting that I'm fairly sure eggs are rich in all micro-nutrients, except vitamin C. So that is probably why eggs are the chosen food for this, in addition to being one of the most keto-friendly foods.

Again, I don't think a fast is necessary, but if someone is going to do this, I would recommend a vitamin C supplement.

Also, just to clarify, was it 5 days of just eggs? Or 5 eggs per day?

Because 5 eggs per day is nowhere NEAR enough food energy. But I didn't see that in the OP... just in one of the comments.
  • katythelady
    katythelady Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    So many comments, so I'm not sure if this has been addressed already, but if I may...The egg fast will work to help her lose a few, quick pounds. It also sounds excruciating. It's also very likely that the pounds lost will be no more than water weight, that will likely come back when she goes back to her usual keto diet. Why is she wanting to do this fast? Is she looking for a quick fix? If so, a PSMF or would probably work better and she would likely lose bodyfat rather than water. However, all this is to say, if she just sticks with keto (and watching caloric consumption since lc isn't magic) she will get to where she'd like to be.
  • razzjam334
    razzjam334 Posts: 39 Member
    What if you love eggs?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited February 2016
    razzjam334 wrote: »
    What if you love eggs?

No one loves eggs that much.

ETA - actually, I'm pretty sure if you love eggs this would be a terrible approach, because it would likely turn you off of them for life.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What if you love eggs?

ETA - actually, I'm pretty sure if you love eggs this would be a terrible approach, because it would likely turn you off of them for life.

That is the biggest risk of doing the diet, IMO.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited March 2016
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What if you love eggs?

tumblr_mwg952Whfm1s0t6o2o1_500.gif
    OMGVIS0029-5.gif
This discussion has been closed.