March 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited February 2016
    Do you have any idea how lovely it is in Virginia right now? ! Thank goodness!

exercise.png

• freakymistkd
    freakymistkd Posts: 586 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this and am loving the idea of challenges to keep me motivated. I used to enjoy spending a lot of time at the gym but it was the group fitness that kept me going. Now I'm an at home mum and need some motivation to keep going.
    Since I'll be pushing my daughter in her pram my March goal will be for walking and I'm aiming for 50kms (just over 36miles). Pretty meet and mild compared to all of the other goals I've seen set but I just want to keep it practical.
    Good luck everyone.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    I am going to try again this month since I think my hip is finally healed and hopefully I don't do anymore stupid things. I am going very low this month and easing back in. I think 25 miles is a safe starting point.
  • deucemon69
    deucemon69 Posts: 647 Member
    Put me down for running and walking 80 miles this month. Starting from scratch again with Couch to 5k. Should be back running 3 miles by the end of the month.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    OMG, it's not March yet, is it? :neutral:
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    I've never done a run challenge EVER so this should be interesting LOL. I'm going to go with 70 miles. I think that will be a challenge (i'm a new runner) but hopefully not overwhelming
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm in! I'll shoot for 100 miles for March! >:)

We just got hit with a blizzard but maybe this will help get my butt movin before April. I'll be running and walking doing C25K and walking the dog.

Anyone is welcome to add me as well! :p
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    March goal—can I make 120 km?
    second half on 3/27—Dongguan Songshan First Annual
    3/1—3.31 km having trouble getting my butt out of bed.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    With holding back a bit for recovery, I'm going to set a 100 mile goal for March. Might exceed that.... :wink:

exercise.png

"Hello, my name is Dana, and I have a problem with running...."
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Hi, I'm Lisa, I'm 49, and I am trying to get myself back into running. It's been probably a year and a half since I ran 5k straight. I have been training on the treadmill for the last couple of weeks trying to get myself ready for a fun 5k run in town on April 1st. I know it's not the same as training outdoors, but the weather...! I am going to set my goal at 100k for March. That will include walking and running.
  • MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    My goal is to run 4 days each week for a total of 55 miles.
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Awesome! Grabbed it right up, thanks for posting it! :smiley:
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    At the risk of being flagged for spam (which happened the last time I shared a link to a great deal), Amazon is selling the Kindle version of 40 DAYS: Life, Love, Loss and A Historic Run Around One of the World's Largest Lakes by Steve Cannon for just 99¢! It's a story of his 40 day, 1037 mile run around Lake Michigan. I have NOT read this, but it gets 5 out of 5 stars with 40 reviews. This is not a running book as much as it is a book about the human spirit.

http://www.amazon.com/40-DAYS-Historic-Around-Largest-ebook/dp/B0192UOWFC

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    WE HAVE TWO PAGES ALREADY? This challenge has gotten so big! I love it! Good to see many new faces and old friends back for March :)

I added up my March training schedule, and if I manage to run EVERY SINGLE MILE I've assigned myself, I should be at an even 250 for the month. So... fingers crossed I make it! :) (And yes, I actually remembered to throw in a cutback week this time; learned my lesson from February.)

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K (Clinton, NJ)
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    edited March 2016
    My March goal is to get through week 9 of the 10k Trainer. This should increase my mileage some, but not sure just how much. Last month it was 11.4 miles, I will say 20 miles for the month. It really is hard sometimes to stick with the schedule, but I have definitely learn that pushing myself to fast only leads to setbacks and disappointment. I will be going into new territory after week 8, we will see how my body tolerates it. I'm looking forward to more running time,so I can get more time in the zone, and all so because my actual calorie burn has tapered off.

Welcome newbies and good luck everyone with your March goals!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    As with February, I have no goal for March. My goal is to hit the weekly mileage targets for the training plan: 62 this week, 62 next, then 68, 62, and 56. Subtracting out the days that don't fall in March, I get:

(62 -15) + 62 + 68 +62 + (56 - 13) = 282 miles in March. That's 20 miles more than was scheduled for February, and 41 more miles than I actually ran in February; but I lost 21 miles to a cold in February. I need to stay healthy to hit my targets in March.

This is more miles than I've ever run in my life. It's a freakin' miracle that my running chain is okay and the only thing that happened was I got a cold. That, and a well designed plan with a coach who tells me when to back off. I have some really challenging workouts, but it's the recovery that makes the plan work.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited March 2016
    I am going with 180km again. I am doing my first (virtual) HM this month. I don't know how I will come out of it lol but I am doing it for the Leukaemia Foundation so I will stick to it! x

1/3 - 9.44 km
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Mar 01      0.0      0.0

exercise.png

I have learned my lesson and am scaling back to avoid another overuse injury. I'm in for 80 and we'll see how this goes!

Lots of new faces already this month, which is awesome! Hope everyone has a great month and posts often.

@Elise4270 - This is it ... the month where we both stay healthy!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    I'm in for 100 miles.
  • TriniDiva_PA
    TriniDiva_PA Posts: 53 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm new to this challenge for the month of March. I'm super excited to have found this challenge. I'm tossing my hat in the ring for 50 miles this month; that's an increase for me of about 15 miles. I'm hoping to get more miles in on the weekends now that it'll soon still be daylight when I get off work and the temps are on the rise. Good luck to every one in achieving your goals this month and Happy Running!

exercise.png
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    I want at least 200 quality miles. My next marathon is April 3rd, and I need to be ready.