Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Full or low fat dairy?

Replies

• razzjam334
    razzjam334 Posts: 39 Member
    They add more sugar to low fat to make it taste better to sell more I seem to lose weight when I drink fair life milk verses other brands lower sugar more protein more expensive but if you don't use it that often it might be worthwhile for you
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    razzjam334 wrote: »
    They add more sugar to low fat to make it taste better to sell more I seem to lose weight when I drink fair life milk verses other brands lower sugar more protein more expensive but if you don't use it that often it might be worthwhile for you

This is true for many low-fat or fat-free products, but it is not true for milk. Seriously, look at the ingredients for skim milk some time. It's just milk, usually with vitamins A and D added. No extra sugars that aren't in the milk to begin with.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    razzjam334 wrote: »

Since we are talking about dairy, this is false. I don't know why people claim this.

NO sugar is added to skim or low fat milk or cottage cheese or plain yogurt. Sometimes sugar is added to yogurt (for example, flavored yogurts) but that has nothing to do with whether it is low fat or full fat (there are flavored yogurts of both kinds).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Skim milk, zero-fat yogurt, full fat cheeses and cream for my coffee. I have no problems with the taste of nonfat milk/yogurt, but low-fat cheeses taste like plastic to me. They don't melt as nicely either.

[ETA:] The terms "processed" and "unnatural" don't scare me. They're meaningless in the context of the nutritional/health value of food. There are many food items which would be completely inedible if they weren't "processed".
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    The only full fat dairy product I eat is cheddar cheese. The mozzarella cheese I eat in foods is part skim and the homemade yogurt I eat is low fat.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    I don't think most dairy is very healthy. When I do eat/drink it, I mix it up between low, non, and full fat dairy depending on my macro and calorie needs for the day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I drink a lot of milk so I stick with light, purely to save calories, I much prefer the taste of full fat everything. I wouldn't even think to eat low fat cheese,mayo or dressing. Full fat yogurt and cottage too, purely because they taste better and have fewer carbs than the light versions.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I prefer to consume smaller amounts of full fat dairy. I don't like the way lower fat versions taste so they aren't worth eating.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    I have 0% Greek yoghurt and 0.1% milk, so that I can have full-fat cheese. I don't notice the taste difference in the first two, but don't enjoy lower fat cheese.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Milk is good for you anyway
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Full fat. 14% sour cream is about as fat free as I will go. ;)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Full fat tastes better and is more satisfying. The only dairy product I don't have full fat is greek yogurt, only because it's hard to find 2% or higher, but it has a good amount of protein so I don't mind.
    Skim milk is water that's lying about being milk.
  • Fitlondongirlu
    Fitlondongirlu Posts: 59 Member
    I drink a lot of tea sooo prefer to have skimmed just because i follow iifym and the macros are better in skimmed milk.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    pbprincess wrote: »
    Skim milk is water that's lying about being milk.

Best description of skim milk ever...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    lkarlheim wrote: »
    I agree. Low fat foods often have higher sugar content, or other additives. to make up for the flavor. I find that when I choose full fat foods, I am more satisfied with less food.

This is absolutely not true of most dairy. It's the sweetened stuff that *might* have more sugar if it's low fat, but for milk, cheese, or plain yogurt? Nope.

For me, it depends. I eat full fat cheese (except 2% American slices once in a while, or part skim mozzarella if I'm going to melt it in a dish), 1% milk (I buy whole milk for baking).

For yogurt, it depends... I haven't noticed that full fat yogurts or milk are more filling to me, so I go by taste, and apart from a couple specific brands of yogurt (like Oh My Yog), I can't say I've noticed a huge difference in taste from 0% to full fat (even Fage, honestly), so then I go for 0%.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Almost all dairy in the US is homogenized and pasteurized. (Except for fancy brands that tout their non-homogenized status on the label by calling themselves "cream top", etc.)

The homogenization is a mechanical, not chemical process, but it also happens to whole milk. So is the removal of fat from the milk - if I recall, they are similar processes that use spinning and the fact that fat floats on top to work.

Basically it's not like whole milk is any less "tampered with" than skim milk. It just didn't have the extra step of the cream being mechanically removed.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    I drink low fat, I do that to save calories, I want calcium, I would save my calories for other things.
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2016
    I drink gold top milk in my tea (from Jersey cows), at a whopping 5.4% fat, I find I actually use far less than lower fat milk. Although if I have a latte I'll go for skimmed milk. I did see this about the dairy fat paradox https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25102-is-full-fat-milk-best-the-skinny-on-the-dairy-