MFP Runners Club 1/13/09

Just 3 miles for me today (plus upper body work out). Resting my legs for my 1/2 marathon Sunday.

Replies

• runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Just 3 miles for me today (plus upper body work out). Resting my legs for my 1/2 marathon Sunday.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    No running. Resting my shin.
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    No running ALL WEEK!!!! :sad:
    Did core stuff this morning. Hopefully a swim later.
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    I did my annual PT test today so 1.5 Miles BUT the greatest thing... I took one and a half minutes off my PR.
  • 7km for me today. Just wondering if anyone here uses a rowing machine for cross training?
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    4 mile walk and core today for me.
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Just finished 6.3 miles....
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    I did my annual PT test today so 1.5 Miles BUT the greatest thing... I took one and a half minutes off my PR.

That is great!!!

No run for me today, did ChaLean Push Circuit #1. :bigsmile:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    No running today, I did Jillian Michales & my slim in 6 abs workout at home!
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    No run just an hour and a half on the elliptical. Its freezing out here:cry: . Maybe tomorrow.

Alisha
  • Hi everybody. This is not a reply. I am new at running and I have several questions. My weight is 130 lbs. I eat more or less 1400 calories a day or less. I run 6.25 milles in 58 minutes every other day and do some weight lifting during the days I don't run (upper and core body). I am 46 years-old. I think I am slow for a 10K and I would like to know what is the normal time for a 10K for a person my age. I also would like to know more about proteins. A friend of mine told me I need to take some proteins after running. She mention shakes. Does anybody know how these shakes work? How to prepare them? when to take them? Is it worth it?
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Hi everybody. This is not a reply. I am new at running and I have several questions. My weight is 130 lbs. I eat more or less 1400 calories a day or less. I run 6.25 milles in 58 minutes every other day and do some weight lifting during the days I don't run (upper and core body). I am 46 years-old. I think I am slow for a 10K and I would like to know what is the normal time for a 10K for a person my age. I also would like to know more about proteins. A friend of mine told me I need to take some proteins after running. She mention shakes. Does anybody know how these shakes work? How to prepare them? when to take them? Is it worth it?

Just a couple of observations. I assume from your weight that you are pretty lean already so losing weight is not a priority. With as much exercise as you are doing, 1400 calories sounds awfully low, so check out the calorie calculater and make sure you are eating your earned exercise calories. You will feel better and fitter and get faster just from that. Just for reference, I am 53 and run a 51 minute 10K. Somedays that puts me in an age group award, sometimes not. If I wanted to be consistently competitive in my age group, I would have to run the 10K in 40-45 minutes. Depending on your diet, extra protein may be very beneficial. Part of that may come just by increasing your calories / change in diet (more meat, eggs or egg substitute, low fat cottage cheese, etc), but if you have trouble getting enough protein, whey protein shakes are a great supplement. I would try to drink one right after your run / workout, when your muscles really are looking for the protein for recovery. Worth it? Depends on your diet, if you already eat a lot of protein maybe not, if you are a high carb kind of person, probably yes.
  • Thanks, runnerdad.
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,313 Member

Best of luck to you!
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,313 Member
    Six miles on the TM today. It is NASTY weather here!