Maintaining on 1400 calories.....

I lost 51 pounds with MyFitnessPal and now I am succeeding on very steady maintenance. I eat back my exercise calories and I do alternating days of yoga, or light calisthenics (for 30 - 60 min.), or treadmill (for 15 min.) I also practice piano (for 30-60 min.) each day, and that does burn calories. (About 170 calories and hour).

Replies

• ginalove1960
    ginalove1960 Posts: 60 Member
    I usually only play piano for one half hour a day, and that only amounts to 85 calories. But often I'm amazed at how that 85 calorie burn comes in handy.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    I play accordion, calories burned and weight lift at the same time!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2016
    Playing piano burns cals...who knew :smiley:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I love it that you're a musician and playing every every day.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    We ( hubby and i ) dont log our singing. I do tent to dance when i sing so i get some steps back for it hehehe ;)

But his drumming i calculate ( i do his logging) for sure. He is more hungry after some hours of ( very energetic) drumming.

95069916.png

• simlovgin960831
    simlovgin960831 Posts: 32 Member
    Playing drums burns calories too.
  • rdrettig1
    rdrettig1 Posts: 62 Member
    I'm going to have to have my husband wear the heart monitor next time he plays his drums, he leaves behind a sweat puddle so I'm sure it is a good burn!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I lost 51 pounds with MyFitnessPal and now I am succeeding on very steady maintenance. I eat back my exercise calories and I do alternating days of yoga, or light calisthenics (for 30 - 60 min.), or treadmill (for 15 min.) I also practice piano (for 30-60 min.) each day, and that does burn calories. (About 170 calories and hour).

ummm.... nope - that's about the burn you'd get from a 60 minute yoga class -
  • Sued0nim
    rdrettig1 wrote: »
    I'm going to have to have my husband wear the heart monitor next time he plays his drums, he leaves behind a sweat puddle so I'm sure it is a good burn!

also nope - an HRM is not giving a calorie burn for drum playing - LOLs
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

if he is sweating a lot his heart rate is up. An hrm would pick that up.
  • Sued0nim

yes an HRM is designed to pick up raised heart rate

but the formula that underpins heart rate to calorie conversion on HRMs is only relevant to steady-state cardio it is based on lab conditions mapping VO2 uptake to HR under steady-state cardio (and I believe from 40% to lactate threshold)

drumming is not steady state cardio - it is interval training if anything - an hrm does not provide a calorie burn for interval training - within any reliable estimation anyway .. it does spew out a number but I wouldn't be eating it
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member

yes an HRM is designed to pick up raised heart rate

but the formula that underpins heart rate to calorie conversion on HRMs is only relevant to steady-state cardio it is based on lab conditions mapping VO2 uptake to HR under steady-state cardio (and I believe from 40% to lactate threshold)

drumming is not steady state cardio - it is interval training if anything - an hrm does not provide a calorie burn for interval training - within any reliable estimation anyway .. it does spew out a number but I wouldn't be eating it

This for sure

When hubby goes for some hours of straight drumming i just feed him a bit more lol

Not hundreds. But for sure when he practice weeks in a row he loses weight pretty fast. ( While he doesn't or didn't have to lose.) Its just like being or having a more active job
  • ginalove1960
    I'm a pianist. I have no trouble keeping my weight within normal BMI. It is now at 22. And all I do for exercise is:
    Practice piano for 30 -60 min. a day, at a slow pace.
    Practice Hatha yoga for 2- 3 times a week, for 30 min. each time.
    Practice "Chair"-Range of Motion exercises, for one hour, once or twice a month.
    Habitually take a couple of flights of stairs, where I live, at a running pace, both up and down. And make a point never to take the elevator.
    When I feel like it, I walk on a treadmill for 15 min. at 2.5 mph and 5% incline.
    One thing, I'm never real hard on myself. I just don't believe in it. My blood pressure, pulse, cholesterol, lipids, everything are real good. The Dr. took me off all those meds when I lost all that weight.
  • ginalove1960
    I'm a 5'8" female. And I usually eat anywhere from between 1450 - 1850 calories. Although today I ate 2000.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member

Actually, the burn rates for the two activities (playing piano and yoga) are probably not as different as you might expect.

Per the Compendium of Physical Activities ( https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories ), piano playing has a MET value of 2.3 and hatha yoga has a MET value of 2.5. The piano playing does have a lower MET value, but it isn't radically different from the yoga.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I suppose if we burn almost 100 cals an hour by just general moving about the house for example an extra 70 cals for piano playing isn't out of the way....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    minizebu wrote: »

Actually, the burn rates for the two activities (playing piano and yoga) are probably not as different as you might expect.

Per the Compendium of Physical Activities ( https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories ), piano playing has a MET value of 2.3 and hatha yoga has a MET value of 2.5. The piano playing does have a lower MET value, but it isn't radically different from the yoga.

I'm always amazed at people who think that Yoga counts as exercise. I mean yeah, it's good for you, but 300 calorie burns in one hour? LOL no.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Hmmm...I play the big double bass. When I gig I lug it around NYC, up and down subway stairs, walking sometimes miles/pushing it on it's wheel. Then I gig standing up with it for 3 hours, usually dancing at the same time and singing. I don't even log that. I just figure...that's my life. I did it when I was fat too. I can't imagine logging piano calories, I'm sorry.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    1400 calories doesnt seem to be enough for me to maintain, I lost more weight than I meant to by averaging 1400-1500 calories a day. Though, I am very active and have been lifting quite heavy weights lately, so maybe my metabolism has increased more than I anticipated. I think 1700-1800 may be more appropriate for me.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Why maintain on 1400 calories? Ugh, I wouldn't last.