passing on the drinking

Replies

• LAWNYBEE
    LAWNYBEE Posts: 46 Member
    Me!!! I was teetotal for January, a big thing for me when I was drinking 2 bottles of wine A NIGHT! Feb I was drinking pretty much nil, until my anniversary last Tuesday and went out and drank a bottle of wine, never been so ill in my life, last few days I've had a couple of beers here and there but going teetotal for March now. :-) Add me if you like anyone :-)
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    I cut out drinking 2 years ago and now i'm down over 50 pounds. Drinking for me led me to bad food choices and skipping workouts amongst other things. That is what I needed to get myself on track.
  • Carpercia
    Carpercia Posts: 134 Member
    Yes - I did and it worked. I was losing 2lbs per week while running 5K, 3 times per week and eating reasonably healthy.

After Dec and Jan I had alcohol on a regular basis (although not in large quantities) and it was SO hard to get the scales down.
    I've given up again and I can really recommend it!

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    I did 32 years ago, with the booz came the hunger for snacking, and I was not only ugly (which could not be helped), but also massively overweight. Stopped drinking and started working out, lost approx. 25 kilos in 3 months, and never looked back. Thought it might help with my bank savings as well, but that never worked out that way :(
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Well, it great that you are ready to say goodbye to it, Kate. I am afraid I am always too ready to say Hello to it......

That bus may as well make a stop for me too.....I rarely meet a drink I don't like,
  • Valpinglow
    Valpinglow Posts: 31 Member
    I am trying to be wiser about it. Last night I received a very good grade on a final paper (masters degree) and really wanted to celebrate with a cocktail. I didn't. I'd rather save my drinking for the weekend with friends.

I could never give up craft beers. I have discovered tho that the best tasting beers are the ones drank after a long day climbing/hiking/mountain biking/ etc.
  • mirandan73189
    mirandan73189 Posts: 10 Member
    I haven't had a drink in just over 3 weeks. I also quit smoking a month and a half ago and found that drinking led to too many temptations: smoking, eating too many calories to stave off a hangover, drinking too many calories, etc. I am very happy with the choice I made. I don't feel comfortable saying it's because I gave up booze that I've lost over 7 pounds in those three weeks, but not drinking has made it easier for me to stick to a regimen of calorie reduction and working out 5 days a week. I've tried losing weight in the past and this is the first time I've been able to stick to it because alcohol has always been a roadblock for me. I know some have the strength to both drink and lose weight, but I am not one of those people. So, no pressure either way, but from my experience, it's been a completely positive one.

I drink the *kitten* out of La Croix flavored soda waters, they're my go to post-work stress relief, haha! No more drinking a fancy bottle of wine.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    A favorite meme says,"I never pretend to be anything I'm not...

...except sober...sometimes I pretend to be sober."
  • JuliaMargaretA
    JuliaMargaretA Posts: 5 Member
    If I am serious about losing my weight then I have to cut out all alcohol. Even a couple of glasses of wine just makes me hungry when I shouldn't be. So it has been 54 days, I am aiming for 100. Once deciding to cut it out I don't find it hard at all. Losing the pounds feels better than having a glass of wine! Once I have reached my goal then I will indulge in a glass or two on the weekend. That just works for me, I feel great and very excited to be back to my ideal weight
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Nope nope nope. While I always make sure it fits my calories for the day, never go without my booze. I don't drink often (never on work nights), but I could NEVER give up booze entirely. I just eat a tiny breakfast and lunch and then I have tons of calories for booze and the resulting food binge.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    When I give it up for Lent, I went until Columbus's birthday and then had some wine........I noticed I gained, not so much from wine, but bad food choices when I did drink.

I again ,gave it up for Lent last month and don't miss it and am losing the weight I gained when I drank during the holidays last year, ie, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years....

for me, its better I dont drink.................Best wishes
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    No. I'm not for cutting off things I enjoy. Nothing wrong with having what you want in life.

This! I still drink wine with dinner almost every night and more than that on weekends. But I probably eat less sweet treats than many others because there just isn't room in my meager calorie allotment for both. I chose wine.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    While I totally agree with the posters who say they leave room for wine/beer or they exercise to make room, I am VASTLY more successful with the weightloss when I don't drink. I have been drinking only one or two days a week since January and I always feel like I have to dig myself out of a hole after drinking: lose the weight, get over the hangover (but I only had a few!), and get back on track with no drinking.

I am convinced that my body reacts strangely to drinking and that the 250 calories from two glasses of wine multiplies inside me!
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Unless I'm at a bar I don't gain much with my drinking and I drink hella lot
  • Need2Exerc1se
    I see a common theme for many
    bad food choices when I did drink
    and the resulting food binge
    makes me hungry when I shouldn't be

If drinking causes you overeat then you probably should give it up or cut back to the occasional 'treat days'.
  • pie_eyes

If drinking causes you overeat then you probably should give it up or cut back to the occasional 'treat days'.

Funny thing for me is I don't get hungry when I drink
  • Need2Exerc1se
    pie_eyes wrote: »

I don't either. At least no more than if I wasn't drinking. Beer especially fills me up. But more often I go for wine which pairs better with a good meal than it does with junk food. Most of my wine is consumed with food because good food tastes better with a good wine.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes wrote: »

I don't either. At least no more than if I wasn't drinking. Beer especially fills me up. But more often I go for wine which pairs better with a good meal than it does with junk food. Most of my wine is consumed with food because good food tastes better with a good wine.

This

And if I'm drinking wine I'll add to to the meal I'm preparing
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    I've thought about reducing my drinking. I don't think that it is the drinking calories that really get me...it is the snacking and hangover eating that kicks my butt!
  • KateTVM
    KateTVM Posts: 21 Member
    Welp, there's no saving the calories in my day, and no only drinking on the weekends... I just don't work that way (sadly). I've never been good at that so coffee and seltzer it is. And I am dog-tired of missing my goals...
    I think my bff is taking this worse than I am!!