March 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    I read something yesterday (can't remember where) that said those of us that look as exercise as "training" do better (keep it up), than those who just look at it as "exercise".

What about those of us who think of running as an "escape"?

So my 7 "pain-free" miles Sunday night...the swelling started the next day. Nothing serious in itself, just enough to be a nuisance, but not enough to keep me from running 7+ with the Winter Warriors tonight. Ice and Ibuprofen are my friends.

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    rjmqk3 wrote: »
    My goal is 60 miles in March. I'm fairly new to distance running, but have a half marathon coming up (thanks peer pressure)! Time to get serious! My plan is to run 3 miles 3 times a week and at least one longer run (6+ miles) weekly.
    @rjmqk3 Welcome to the Shoe Destroyers. Great Goal - Love-Hate relationship with Peer Pressure. As some one who did his first 2 HM's in February I think that you need to add a few more long runs into the mix and definitely need to increase the length of your long run ( slowly to avoid injury ). Until I was able to do a 20km run I was not confident that I had the stamina and confidence-mindset required to complete a HM. Once I had my first 20 km run in I would add a 20+km run into my schedule every 2nd week and then upped it to a weekly goal. Didn't always get it in but the confidence it gave me was very important on race day. Not just running confidence but clothing choices,water and food/fueling.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Many Thanks to @Stoshew71 for keeping this challenge going.

A big welcome to all those who have been Lurking and are joining in. B)

Sticking with my 140km goal as I have swim Lessons ( 8 sessions ) plus some light weight lifting that cut into my available running time.

exercise.png

I had posted this on February 29 - seems more appropriate to start it in March
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Just read through the What Type of Winter Athlete Are You?.
    I believe that I would have to be called THE POLAR BEAR & THE NATURAL.

What does everyone else think they would be called by their Friends and Family?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Omg, I hate this thread... Today is a rest day/walk day.. I keep thinking I can just run an easy 3, I feel good. Maybe I can run at lunch and after work... Yes, @9voice9 I have a running problem too. Step 1. Isn't step 2 - get your shoes? 3- it's all about me, 4- head for the door, 5- listen to some jive, 6- get some new kicks, 7- feels like heaven.. Or something like that..

Today is a rest day...

@juliet3455 none of those fit me... I might be a baby polar bear? We don't have much of a winter here. It's already 70+

Sorry I forgot- Thanks again Stan!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today. Miles for March
    3/1 7.25 miles - 7.25

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Whew! Had to replace the first link- it got quite crude... This is G rated.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/run-matters/are-you-addicted-to-running
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    I guess I'm in for March Goal is 2x3 miles each week and 1x5 for a total of 47 miles this month, not including the 50 minutes of walking every M-F at work.
  • Stoshew71
    @skippygirlsmom I had Emily on my back (in a backpack thingy) when she was 2 years old when i climbed up Diamond Head. Emily is now 11.

full.jpg
  • nyjpeterson
    nyjpeterson Posts: 5 Member
    I would love to join this challenge. Goal is to run 2 mile 3x a week.
  • Calli1616
    Calli1616 Posts: 1,855 Member
    Ok, back for a third month goal of 50 miles. I, ahem, did not make this goal in January or February (shifty eyes, shuffles feet), but am absolutely determined to blow it out of the water this month. I did discover in Feb that I can run on back-to-back days, which had been a big issue with my knees before, so that will allow for a little extra mileage. I'm toying around with the idea of doing my very first ever half marathon in November - just to get me into that "training" mindset. I agree that "training" is more motivating than "exercising" for some reason.

I'll get my ticker going for the next run, but for today 3.15/50 for the month. Happy March everyone! And thanks @Stoshew71 for this thread!!
  • rjmqk3
    rjmqk3 Posts: 18 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    rjmqk3 wrote: »
    My goal is 60 miles in March. I'm fairly new to distance running, but have a half marathon coming up (thanks peer pressure)! Time to get serious! My plan is to run 3 miles 3 times a week and at least one longer run (6+ miles) weekly.
    @rjmqk3 Welcome to the Shoe Destroyers. Great Goal - Love-Hate relationship with Peer Pressure. As some one who did his first 2 HM's in February I think that you need to add a few more long runs into the mix and definitely need to increase the length of your long run ( slowly to avoid injury ). Until I was able to do a 20km run I was not confident that I had the stamina and confidence-mindset required to complete a HM. Once I had my first 20 km run in I would add a 20+km run into my schedule every 2nd week and then upped it to a weekly goal. Didn't always get it in but the confidence it gave me was very important on race day. Not just running confidence but clothing choices,water and food/fueling.

Thanks SO much for the tips! I will try adding a mile to my long run weekly... that would put me at about 10 miles on my last long run in march! That'd get me at goal for race time in MAY!!! Thank you!!!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited March 2016
    @vandinem @Elise4270 - Thank you for reminding me that avoiding injury is Goal #1. It's more important that the monthly miles, more important than the weekly miles, far more important than the speed work, and more important that running Boston. If I blow Goal #1, the rest of my running goals will tend to fall apart. That's the backdrop for my having a projected mileage for the month instead of a goal mileage; a goal mileage could get me to do something stupid that might hurt Goal #1.
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    I read something yesterday (can't remember where) that said those of us that look as exercise as "training" do better (keep it up), than those who just look at it as "exercise".

@ddmom0811 - That's an interesting observation. I ran pretty consistently when it was just exercise. I ran more consistently when it became recreation and stress relief. But now that it's training . . . I ran the full 100 minutes on a day when I wanted to stop at around 80 minutes, because that's what the plan called for and I'm committed. Yeah, there's likely something to that observation.

I'd run 20 miles for exercise and fun. I'd do a heck of a lot less speed work if it wasn't training.

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm in!

One stupid question: when creating your ticker, I followed the instruction on page 1, but it doesn't say WHERE we post the link to our ticker we created! Do we have to copy and paste it every time we make a post here? Or is there a way to add it as part of a signature line?

Thanks!

exercise.png

EDIT: I copied and pasted the link here, I guess there isn't a signature line we can use to just post it there and have it post every time we make a post. Bummer...
  • jstafaz
    jstafaz Posts: 16 Member
    Good morning!
    I am "coming out" as a runner today. I just started in January and last month managed 36 miles. I think I may be addicted. I'm not brave enough to sign up for any races yet but will get there. My goal for March is 50 miles. I will be overjoyed if I can get my long run over the 4 miles in 40 minutes that nearly did me in yesterday! I love a good challenge.

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    Well, now that we have all admitted to our running problems, and are working on the steps, I thought I would give an update on the steps I have been working on:

9,722 steps over 5 miles in 59:17 at 80% HRMax (144 of 180)

3/1 - 5 miles

5/150 Miles

exercise.png

</ridiculously overachieving list of races edited out for time, but there are races, trust me...>
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    March was going to be a slow month anyway, because I was supposed to have surgery on my tailbone this Friday. Well, no surgery, since I am employed full-time as my son's pancreas at the moment and can't take a week off to recuperate, which means a race or two might actually still be in my future. Sadly, I can't leave the kiddo at home alone, so my runs may be limited. I'm going to set a goal for 50. I'm going to aim for 75. And if I can hit my normal 100 I will be dancing in the streets with joy. I am thinking about replacing my treadmill with one that will actually tell me how far I've run...any suggestions?

3/1.....3.0 @ 10:40 on the TM, plus strength training

exercise.png
  • sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    So, I didn't quite make my February goal of 30 miles, but I was close enough that the extra couple of days in March should get me there. I've got three weeks left of C25K and then I'm planning to run for time/distance for a few weeks before working on a 10K distance.

Since I walk on my off days, I'm going to set this month's goal as a combo to make it a bit easier to track everything- 50 miles of running/walking

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    I'm in!

One stupid question: when creating your ticker, I followed the instruction on page 1, but it doesn't say WHERE we post the link to our ticker we created! Do we have to copy and paste it every time we make a post here? Or is there a way to add it as part of a signature line?

Thanks!

exercise.png

EDIT: I copied and pasted the link here, I guess there isn't a signature line we can use to just post it there and have it post every time we make a post. Bummer...

I just quote my last post, modify it to add my new mileage, then take out the front [ quote ] and back [ /quote ] tags. That way all the old information including my ticker is there already.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    edited March 2016
    Just realised I will get a few more miles in this month as march is a little bit longer so I readjusted my ticker!

Today I'm sitting with ice on my shins. They're not hurting, just kind of achy. And the slow me just seemed to realise I don't have to wait till they're hurting to ice them. Perhaps if I do it now they wont ever hurt? Ya think? *facepalm*

Was cold -12c (10F )but bright and sunny outside this am for my run. Light wind, so no matter the temp I probably would have run outside. But my stupid phone shut off when I stopped my fitbit tracking, luckily I didn't loose any data.

We're getting another storm tonight, so I will probably be forced inside for my next run, the first back to back one for me. I haven't been using my compression tights when running inside however, I think I will just as insurance for shins.

I really think I need new shoes...

3/1 - 3.1

exercise.png
  • lloydwells66
    lloydwells66 Posts: 38 Member
    I'm in! My "runs" normally include runnning/jogging/brisk walking, so I will use my cumulative total here. Going for 50 miles in March!

exercise.png