Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Antibiotics and probiotics??

Replies

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    eat sauerkrauft, kimchi, keifer, potato starch and lots of raw veg to feed your good bacteria.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    They don't have to be expensive, either. Amazon's got a few brands for $10/a month and cheaper. Good luck, OP!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Kullerva wrote: »
    They don't have to be expensive, either. Amazon's got a few brands for $10/a month and cheaper. Good luck, OP!

Aren't they supposed to be kept refrigerated?
  • summerkissed
    eat sauerkrauft, kimchi, keifer, potato starch and lots of raw veg to feed your good bacteria.

Haha I had to google what half those things were, I eat lots of raw veggies but will see if I can get/make the other things...thanks
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Depends on the antibiotic - whether this is fast or slow cycling. It can't hurt and may help settle an upset stomach, but you won't see much in the way of helpful intestinal flora promotion until you have completed your antibiotic regimen.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

Some can be shipped refrigerated, but probably not for $10 in Tasmania.
    Prebiotic shouldn't require refrigeration, and probably isn't as sensitive to timing as actual probiotic. Not sure if it has any benefits above generally eating larger amounts of fiber.
  • summerkissed
    I've just cooked up some porridge to help with the fiber lol yeah we have problems like that here with postage very expensive!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Yes,I don't trust the shelf stable ones, who knows how much is left in them after sitting in the heat for who knows how long...
    You guys should have "innerhealth plus" in Tassie, most chemists have them in the fridge section. $20 for a bottle of 30.
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    I've just ordered some probiotics plus fibre as I heard they might help with ibs-c
  • summerkissed

Yes,I don't trust the shelf stable ones, who knows how much is left in them after sitting in the heat for who knows how long...
    You guys should have "innerhealth plus" in Tassie, most chemists have them in the fridge section. $20 for a bottle of 30.

Yes we have those but they are $32 and are the only ones I can get in the fridge, not cheap especially if my tablets are only going to kill them before they do any good :neutral: there's other brands on the shelf half the price but wether they are any good is another question
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2016

Yes we have those but they are $32 and are the only ones I can get in the fridge, not cheap especially if my tablets are only going to kill them before they do any good :neutral: there's other brands on the shelf half the price but wether they are any good is another question

Yikes that is a lot more expensive. What I would do... Buy the cheaper ones while you're on the antibiotics. Then get the inner health plus, and take those for 1 month after you've finished your antibiotics.
  • summerkissed
    Yeah I was thinking that myself, I also have yogurt and yakult....all as probiotics and oats, tomatoes and green veggies for prebiotics
    Once I finish these then 2 more big one off doses as I have dentist appointments.....over it all actually, my poor tummy!
  • Christine_72
    Naaw you poor thing :( Antibiotics are good and evil at the same time!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    When I'm on antibiotics I take Good Belly shots in the late afternoon/evening and take my antibiotics in the morning...yes, they help. The antibiotics kill your good gut bacteria as well as whatever it is you're trying to kill....unfortunately, since you're on a course of antibiotics all you're going to be doing is some band aid work with your gut bacteria...but it's nice not to fully have the runs. I usually continue with things for about a week afterwards until things return to normal. After that, my diet tends to take care of things just fine.
  • summerkissed
    I must remember to start seeing dentist before I get a toothache not once I get one! Then it's only a one off big dose not like I'm doing now!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member

They're the ones I take, as I said, they're spendy but worth it (for me)
  • summerkissed
    Omg there's some crap on google when trying to look for info on this stuff!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    Omg there's some crap on google when trying to look for info on this stuff!

Baha, yes. Yes there is. The prettiest sites usually have the highest spend on agendas!
  • Christine_72
    https://youtu.be/ukDga-LIG40

Sorry, couldn't resist
  • summerkissed
    https://youtu.be/ukDga-LIG40

Sorry, couldn't resist

Bahaha what is that movie called?
This discussion has been closed.