March 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• jstafaz
    jstafaz Posts: 16 Member
    Off to a good start - 8" of new snow so did 3 miles on the treadmill. Bring it on March!
    exercise.png[/quote]

• chatpati
    chatpati Posts: 66 Member
    4 miles today... Will set ticker later
  • MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    edited March 2016
    Goal = 55 miles
    Today = 3.1 miles
    Remaining 51.9 miles

It was a beautiful day, but I couldn't find my groove. They were hard won miles today.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    So, NOW I've run 3 miles in March.

exercise.png

Interesting bit of unnecessary information: I ate a 6" Subway sub immediately before I ran this evening because I was ravenous. I don't know if I've ever done that before. I ran a tempo run up to 7.5 on the TM (pretty good for me). I might eat closer to my runs more often (but not fast food).

A related story: an old high school friend/CC buddy and I decided to re-connect over a mud run; we hadn't seen each other or really even talked in [insert great number] years. When she showed up at my house - at 9 a.m. - she had alcohol on her breath and hopped in my car with a huge, tall beer. We had to travel a ways for the race, so we stopped at 7-11 for water .......... for me. She bought another huge, tall beer and a 9" sub sandwich. She scarfed the whole thing down on the way to the race. I thought she'd be a mess, but she did it. I don't know how. I can say that I've never laughed so hard, stone sober of course, in a race in my life. Crazy.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'll join! I'm setting my goal for 90 miles this month. Wish me luck!

exercise.png
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Goal is to build on last month! 90 miles for the month!

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Whew! Had to replace the first link- it got quite crude... This is G rated.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/run-matters/are-you-addicted-to-running

WE WANT THE FIRST LINK! WE WANT THE FIRST LINK! :smile:

Ha-ha! It really was crass. Wanking, f- bombs, elephant dung, and meth addicted crows... Which is hilarious... But i thought the unsuspecting newbie might flip sht.. Google "running addiction" it's by AngryJogger.
    The first link was definitely better. And to think I used to enjoy tiddlywinks.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    4leighbee wrote: »
    So, NOW I've run 3 miles in March.

exercise.png

Interesting bit of unnecessary information: I ate a 6" Subway sub immediately before I ran this evening because I was ravenous. I don't know if I've ever done that before. I ran a tempo run up to 7.5 on the TM (pretty good for me). I might eat closer to my runs more often (but not fast food).

A related story: an old high school friend/CC buddy and I decided to re-connect over a mud run; we hadn't seen each other or really even talked in [insert great number] years. When she showed up at my house - at 9 a.m. - she had alcohol on her breath and hopped in my car with a huge, tall beer. We had to travel a ways for the race, so we stopped at 7-11 for water .......... for me. She bought another huge, tall beer and a 9" sub sandwich. She scarfed the whole thing down on the way to the race. I thought she'd be a mess, but she did it. I don't know how. I can say that I've never laughed so hard, stone sober of course, in a race in my life. Crazy.
    Classic!! Sounds like a potential trail runner. :lol:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    @4leighbee yowzers! I can't imagine drinking and running! That's friggin' nuts.

@WhatMeRunning lol! Glad you liked the link!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    The last two times I ran I noticed fatigue in my quads from my workout, so with that workout increasing I need to move it to another day, or later in the day but not just before my runs anymore. I also had a very meaningful loss in weight today, I broke through a mental/emotional barrier I have been stuck on for more than a year, so I'm really excited about that. It feels like I have really got my head back in the game again, and focused on what's rationally best for me.

Nice! I keep my fingers crossed runnin' does that for me!

• Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Mine are crossed as well for ya @Elise1931 ! Love your new profile pic!
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    The last two times I ran I noticed fatigue in my quads from my workout, so with that workout increasing I need to move it to another day, or later in the day but not just before my runs anymore. I also had a very meaningful loss in weight today, I broke through a mental/emotional barrier I have been stuck on for more than a year, so I'm really excited about that. It feels like I have really got my head back in the game again, and focused on what's rationally best for me.

Nice! I keep my fingers crossed runnin' does that for me!

• TriniDiva_PA
    TriniDiva_PA Posts: 53 Member
    Today was supposed to be a rest day for me, but I just couldn't let the 60 degree temps at lunchtime go to waste.

exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    I'm very excited and would like to shout this from the rooftops. I believe this is a group who will understand the hopeful anticipation I feel because, I think, running has pulled some/many/lots of us out of dark places ...

I am in a family of athletic people - we workout daily because we genuinely love it. My boys are into sports and then workout before school. It borders on compulsion, but I digress. My 13 YO daughter has zero interest in competitive anything, much less athletics. We tried CC thinking she could kind of do her own thing, but she's overweight and it truly made her feel worse. It was the only time I've ever let my children quit anything. She is self-conscious and has never felt comfortable at a gym because there are so many people. She perked up when she heard us talking about just having joined this new 24-hour gym right across the street from our house. It's almost always empty. She may find a way to work out on her own terms with her own goals without being overly self-conscious. Well ... to our delight, they have just made an exception to their rule of signing up kids 14 and over. She's in!!!

If she has a positive experience here, I believe she may turn to exercise for the rest of her life. So hopeful for this ... but I've got to act all chill and stuff or the kid will get suspicious that I'm going to set her goals and push her. Nope ... all hers! :)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    March Running Totals (miles)
    [2/28 – 7.78 easy]
    [2/29 – 7.22 easy + 4 strides]
    3/1 – 9.31 warm up + 8 x Yasso 800s
    3/2 –
    3/3 –
    3/4 –
    3/5 –
    Weekly total TBD vs. target 62

March total to date – 9.31

Goal – 56, 62, or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    Expected March total - ~282 miles

Today's notes – A job fair in the field house banished us to the upper track, which isn't as nice; but I can work with it. Today's assignment was 2 miles at E pace (a.k.a. warmup) plus 8 x 800m at marathon goal time in seconds, with same time recovery. This is the classic Yasso 800 workout, the lesser version. (Full version is 10 x 800m.) This is the first time I've run Yasso 800s, and I didn't know how hard they would be. It turned out they weren't as hard as I feared, but there is definitely an endurance component to getting through them. The first was my fastest, and the last was my slowest. Times ranged from 3:10 to 3:16 for 800m, so it appears that a 3:15 marathon is possible but a 3:10 marathon might be asking too much of myself. Things might look clearer in 3 weeks when I do the full 10 x 800. Yasso says the idea is that if you can hold a the pace through 10 reps of 800, you're in shape to run that time for a marathon. Critics say it's a coincidence of the numbers with no scientific basis to relate the speed work to marathon time. Like the 20 mile long run, it's a bit of a tradition.

Maybe I'll know whether to believe Yasso or his critics after race day.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Starting out March with 7.2 miles on the treadmill - used preset program Rolling Hills.
  • sehipkins
    sehipkins Posts: 2 Member

exercise.png

Day 1 done!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Got through 185 miles with the extended February, but I'll aim for a round 200 in March, despite a long bike trip across the keys mid month, and a few sets of guests descending on me for Spring training.

Hoping to get in at least 4 long runs over 18 miles as well as my next Marathon is coming up at the beginning of May.

3/1 - 3.5 miles

Total: 3.5 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 196.5 miles

Upcoming Races:
    Half Ironman - Florida 70.3 - Apr 10
    Marathon - Pittsburgh - May 1
    Half Ironman - Augusta 70.3 - Sep 25
    Marathon - Chicago - Oct 9 (if accepted)
    Ironman - Florida - Nov 5
  • pacificnorthwitch
    pacificnorthwitch Posts: 14 Member
    Off to great start this month!

3 mile run today!

3/25 done!

Tomorrow is cross training day, HIIT and pilates.

Hope everyone had a great day!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    @mobycarp - I've mostly heard Yasso+10 unless you are close to your ideal marathon weight (BMI of 20-22). For me, 10 @ 3:10 was very doable, but my last marathon (of 3:29) was in 99% humidity @ 70 degrees so I'm not too sure how good of a data point that is.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited March 2016
    3/01: 3 miles, easy (am)
    3/01: 6 miles, 2x1 mile at LTP (7:30) then 800m @ 5K pace
    Total: 9.02 miles

Recap:
    Today’s runs were an easy 3 in the morning, and another 6 in the evening: 1 mile warm up; 1 mile @ LTP (7:30); 1 mile easy; 1 mile @ LTP; ½ mile easy; ½ mile @ 5K pace (7:00); 1 mile cool down. Only one more treadmill run left before I return to Chicago! Though I suspect my run on thursday might have to be indoors because the track will probably still be covered in snow… *sigh*
    Can it please be spring soon?!?

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)