Squatting, deadlifting, and benching.. barefoot?

I've been considering buying some Chucks for lifting, but then I heard about lifting barefoot. I was planning to try lifting in a pair of slipper socks because no way was I going fully barefoot at the gym, and I was worried about traction. So I googled "lifting in slippers" and discovered these things called deadlift slippers. That's about as far as I looked into it before I tried it! Turns out my regular socks gave me enough traction, so today I squatted and deadlifted in them. I kinda liked it. I guess I'm just wondering if any of y'all know about it or have experience with it and can tell me anything about it. Thanks!

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    I've done deadlifts and squats in just socks and they were fine. I did however struggle a tiny bit on the squats in re-racking the bar because without shoes I'm not quite as tall though my shoes don't add that much either. Never tried benching without shoes.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    What would be the point in benching without shoes? lol Squatting barefoot is cool, but many gyms are against it. Deadlifting - I recommend doing it with flat sole shoes instead
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    I've see people squat at my gym in socks or in Vibrams, and was also wondering what the advantage might be as a few of the serious lifting people are doing it.
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    I do all my lifting in bare feet but that is because I do it in my home gym where the safety regulations don't count. I much prefer it to wearing shoes as it helps me have better balance as I can fully feel the floor.

The yoga/pilates socks they sell with toes and grips on the soles might work just as well.

• Colje128
    Colje128 Posts: 1 Member
    Having an elevated heel is better for squatting but if that's out of the question then barefoot (or socks) is the next best thing although, apparently, it takes a toll on the arches over time. If you want to take it up as a sport, perhaps look in to some adipowers? That seems to be what all the powerlifters at my gym are wearing.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Strictly socks here for squatting and deadz.
    I slip my shoes on after each set to keep the toesies warm……..
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    I lift in socks in my garage.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I used to lift in socks but my gym startes enforcing the rules about shoes (they used to not care if you were powerlifting) so I now use chucks.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    I'll pull occasionally in socks when the rest of my training is best in my lifting shoes but otherwise it's chucks for deads and lifting shoes for squats and bench.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    I used to lift in socks but my gym startes enforcing the rules about shoes (they used to not care if you were powerlifting) so I now use chucks.

This. I alternate between chucks and New Balance Minimus.
  • isabcas
    isabcas Posts: 12 Member
    your foot doctor will be happy
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    kwtilbury wrote: »

I agree with New Balance Minimus. I prefer barefoot but when i have to cover my feet, i wear them!

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i DL and squat in chucks. I'm not going barefoot or in my socks at the gym.

I bench in my running shoes for extra tread grip for leg drive.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

Good choices. Wrestling shoes which are on deep discounts this time of year are good also.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    I prefer to front squat without shoes, but if I brought the wrong shoes in for back squats, deadlifts (I too wear New Balance Minimus for deadlifting. I will be phasing them out soon) or any type of standing overhead pressing motion, socks.

You can't under-estimate the value of a firm footing.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    I can sort of see why but I would just be worried about squishing my toes with a weight.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Good choices. Wrestling shoes which are on deep discounts this time of year are good also.

Wrestling shoes are my goto if I have to wear shoes. So low and flat yet comfortable, and they make them for big wide foot people like myself since Chucks are impossible for me.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I can sort of see why but I would just be worried about squishing my toes with a weight.

Unless you wear heavy work boots, nothing typically worn in the gym will offer much protection against a falling plate.
  • nathan_haveagoodday
    nathan_haveagoodday Posts: 38 Member
    I squatted using water shoes the other day. They were very inexpensive. Plus the thin soles let me feel grounded and stable because I could spread my toes out (which I can't do in Chucks).
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

Honestly if you dropped a plate your shoes are not going to be much better than dropping it on your socked feet.