geocaching

I love it! Has anybody tried it?

Replies

• Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    No, I haven't tried it but it looks fun. How does one get started?
  • amyb380
    amyb380 Posts: 2 Member
    Go to geocaching.com and sign up. Then download the app.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    We love it, it's a great family outing. We have only found one so far. Can't wait for all this snow to go away. So we can get at it again.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    I've been caching for years and have no plans to quit. It's a great hobby to combine with hiking, biking, kayaking, etc and it's a great way to find neat, out of the way places when you're traveling.
    We love it, it's a great family outing. We have only found one so far. Can't wait for all this snow to go away. So we can get at it again.

Personally, I love caching in the winter. Snow can make things (much) more frustrating but the peace and quiet and lack of bugs/poison ivy/foliage can make the find more rewarding.

• EternalTruth
    EternalTruth Posts: 491 Member
    I have been lazily caching for about 6 years. I say lazily because I don't go in the winter, rain, dark and I have only found 135 so far. I am gearing up though to do more, a lot more, this summer. I love how you end up visiting the hidden gems of a city that you never realized were there and the history that a lot of caches have as part of their description. It is wonderful exercise, a great family activity and so much fun!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Always wanted to try it.

I used to play a game called Ingress that was kind of similar, it had you going to various points of interest to capture portals. That was fun, until the other people playing the game ruined it for me. Geocaching sounds like it might have the same exploration aspect but without all the drama.