"free" day?

Do any of you guys give youself a "free' day during week or maybe on the weekend where you let yourself over eat some and not worry about it? Has it helped you or hurt you? Just curious....I'm new to this and just trying to plan my eating a little better. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

123574.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

Replies

• wizabugga
    wizabugga Posts: 36 Member
    Do any of you guys give youself a "free' day during week or maybe on the weekend where you let yourself over eat some and not worry about it? Has it helped you or hurt you? Just curious....I'm new to this and just trying to plan my eating a little better. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

123574.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Hi!

I'm doing extreme boot camp at my gym right now so we definitely cannot take a "free" day. I would suggest not taking a free day, but if there's a piece of food that you really want to eat, plan for it. If it's high in calories, fill up on veggies and healthy low-cal foods, and treat yourself to a snack. This way you'll satisfy your craving but won't set yourself back! Just my suggestion. Good luck!
  • My day off is Friday! I usually go out to eat at work for lunch and then out ot eat for dinner, so I'm way over my calories. But..... Saturday morning I work my butt off at the gym. You can do it, just be careful and realize you must be willing to pay the price! Good Luck!
    118961.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I used to take free days, but now I just treat myself in little ways each day. As long as you don't turn one treat into a day-long binge, it doesn't hurt at all. If you stay within your calories, you'll still lose fat just like you would any other day. I will generally have a nice hard workout on a day that I know I am doing something like going out to dinner. Or if I go for a long run and can't fill my calories with what I have in the house, I'll order something that's still pretty healthy, like chicken and broccoli with rice.
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    I found that when I took "free" days, I didn't lose.
    And I WANT TO LOSE!
    So, I have one meal per week that I indluge (within reason) and then I get right back to it. I dont work my tail off at the gym all week to eat it up on the weekend.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    I seem to take a free day that turns into a free weekend that turns into a free week. Oh yeah, did i mention I'm not losing any weight? So, don't listen to me.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    I let myself enjoy special occasions. But for me one day a week seems to often. I have seen plenty of folks have"free day" turn into "free week" and "free year". It can be perfectly ok to do. Just don't let it snowball.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    I let myself enjoy special occasions. But for me one day a week seems to often. I have seen plenty of folks have"free day" turn into "free week" and "free year". It can be perfectly ok to do. Just don't let it snowball.
  • my "free" day will be this sunday and I will sleep late, go get my favorite Vietnamese dish and then make it last for lunch and dinner. I stay w/in my calories and get 2 meals out of it.

if you eat out, take what you usually order but make it more healthy ie: I LOVE mexican food but instead of a burrito or quesadilla with all that extra flour tortilla I'll get taco salad with the pico, guacamole, a few tortilla strips, salsa, & a sprinkle of cheese so I feel like im still eating mexican food, I also put half automatically in a box, oh and bring my own kraft singles dressing packets.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    I seem to take a free day that turns into a free weekend that turns into a free week. Oh yeah, did i mention I'm not losing any weight? So, don't listen to me.
    :flowerforyou: :ohwell: But I sure love your posts and seeing you on the boards...and btw Girlie...where's your ticker at?:tongue::wink::bigsmile:

If your profile is an indication of what you've left to lose... sheesh, no wonder it's not coming off to fast....remember even though we don't like to hear this...the less you have left to lose, the more time it shall take to drop the last few.

Ah and you've certainly inspired me and made me laugh and cheered me on...so THERE!:angry::laugh: :laugh:

Oh and I so know many folks will totally hear ya on the one treat=1 day=2 days=a weekend=a week equals, no longer posting...and then down it goes. (goals not the weight lol) But I do want to add I think that happens much more when it's emotional eating, not simply allowing yourself something you don't eat everyday!:drinker:

Hugs!!!:wink:
    FC:heart:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member

funny...ok I wont listen to you...but you did make me laugh...thanks
    Dave:smile:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    I had 3 free days this week-shame on me.:sad:
  • Fitness_Chick
    I used to take free days, but now I just treat myself in little ways each day. As long as you don't turn one treat into a day-long binge, it doesn't hurt at all. If you stay within your calories, you'll still lose fat just like you would any other day. I will generally have a nice hard workout on a day that I know I am doing something like going out to dinner. Or if I go for a long run and can't fill my calories with what I have in the house, I'll order something that's still pretty healthy, like chicken and broccoli with rice.

Great wisdom as always SBW:flowerforyou::heart::flowerforyou: I do the same, if I really want something and it's NOT for an emotional reason I plan it into my day or the following day. Many times I no longer am even interested in whatever I thought I HAD to have:laugh: :bigsmile:

• Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    I give myself one 'free meal' a week. but I make sure I eat less the other 2 meals that day.
  • Fitness_Chick
    my "free" day will be this sunday and I will sleep late, go get my favorite Vietnamese dish and then make it last for lunch and dinner. I stay w/in my calories and get 2 meals out of it.

if you eat out, take what you usually order but make it more healthy ie: I LOVE mexican food but instead of a burrito or quesadilla with all that extra flour tortilla I'll get taco salad with the pico, guacamole, a few tortilla strips, salsa, & a sprinkle of cheese so I feel like im still eating mexican food, I also put half automatically in a box, oh and bring my own kraft singles dressing packets.

1/2 in the takeout box is always such a wise move. I don't go out to eat very often but am sure going to try out that trick when I do order a meal that is just plain to huge for 1 meal:noway: :laugh: :drinker:

Thanks for the reminder:bigsmile:

• Fitness_Chick
    I give myself one 'free meal' a week. but I make sure I eat less the other 2 meals that day.
    :drinker: :happy:
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    I think a free day is acceptable as long as you are good the rest of the week. But you have to be realistic with your food choices if you want to continue losing weight. I think if you treat yourself to one "free" meal you're probably safe, but it's easy to over-indulge. I over-ate this weekend, lots of greasy food and chocolate, and now my pants are snug again. I don't even want to get on the scale, so I'm not going to. :laugh:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    As you can see many differant viewpoints on a free day. I personally have a cheat day. I never plan on it being a cheat day but if it happens I don't sweat it. I then refocus on my goals and eating habits and make sure I do not have a second cheat day for the week.:noway:
  • wizabugga
    wizabugga Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks for all the good info guys! I appreciate it! I just started this a week ago and have already lost 5 pounds. YAY!! The weekend is creeping up on me and I have this icky feeling it's gonna be tough :ohwell: But using everyone's ideas I think I can do it!!
    123574.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    When you feel like taking a free day, come to see your weight loss ticker and everyone else's. That's what I do. I see the progress I've made and look at others who have lost as much weight as I want to lose.

I agree with the others. I took a day off, -didn't have access to a computer-, but I still tried to guestimate my calories consumed. I also couldn't work out. The next day was a half day with no computer so I did the same.

When I put in my calories for the two days I was over by 400 each day and slowed my progress. The worst part was the second half of day 2 and days 3,4, and 5. It was SOOO hard to stay within my calorie budget. 400 calories may not even seem like much, but it's a large percentage when my budget is 1200. Just think about it as money... do you want to have a spending spree and suck it up later? OR do you want to have outstandig debt. Except calories are worse. You can't starve your (budget) all in one week to make up for it... you'll go into starvation mode.

You also need to think about this as a lifelong committment to being healthy and looking great. Once you lose the weight, if you take too many days off, you'll find yourself back at your own weight again. Just eat what you have budgeted and don't 'splurge'. It will also stretch out your tummy and make you lose your self-control.

LUCK!