Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Study on effects of eliminating GMOs

Replies

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Thank you though. While I do realize that probably some of my own comments were deleted and/or edited, I appreciate the fact that one particular comment toward me at the beginning was deleted, because it was hugely inappropriate. And I'm sure that everything I said that was deleted was not really relevant to the discussion. I actually do appreciate it, and I apologize for my part in it.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Home grown Iowa sweet corn, picked the same day, purchased from the farmer out of the back of his pickup, eaten with butter dripping down the side of my mouth.

That's all the proof for GMOs that I need.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Okay, guys, you've made a mod cry and dillute her beer. Are y'all happy now?

Depends.

Was the beer made from GMO or non-GMO grains?

Hops are apparently non-GMO? Seems to me that IPA may have just become a bit more hipster friendly than I thought.

http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/database/plants/41.hops.html
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    JustSomeEm wrote: »

That's how many posts I deleted out of this discussion due to a spectacular job at forgetting that we have community guidelines in here. And that was after a few had already been deleted by some of my fellow moderators. The violations were literally all over the place, so I'm not going to bother quoting any of the guidelines at you. I am however, going to remind you that we have them, and violations of them can and do result in warnings. If you see someone violating guidelines, report it. Do not engage. If you feel really strongly about it, PM a mod. But do not engage, as engaging a violating post often leads to further violations, then I'm warning everybody and crying into my beer. You're crying into your beer, she's crying into her beer, and sadness ensues.

I don't like to be sad. Do you?

I'm told you can be addicted to a certain of sadness.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Also, how is it any less hysterical to say that we're all going to starve to death if we don't have GMOs? How did we survive for thousands of years without them?

This is the crux of the issue.

WE are not going to starve. You won't starve. I won't starve. It's unlikely that anyone in this community will starve.

But people will starve. A lot of people.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Also, how is it any less hysterical to say that we're all going to starve to death if we don't have GMOs? How did we survive for thousands of years without them?

WE are not going to starve. You won't starve. I won't starve. It's unlikely that anyone in this community will starve.

But they don't matter because they'll starve other "there." Where we can see them. And we can keep eating our non-GMO foods and feel smug.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Now I'm just sad. The only thing worse than dilute beer is a sad salad.
  • senecarr
    auddii wrote: »

But salads are always telling women jokes. Are they like how every clown is secretly sad?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    senecarr wrote: »

But salads are always telling women jokes. Are they like how every clown is secretly sad?

My grandmother told me as a child that clowns were the saddest people on Earth, because people always laughed at them. She was a piece of work.
  • auddii

Sad salads are when you're trying to "be good" and you order a salad, and then it shows up and there's some lettuce and maybe a piece of cucumber, but not much else. And all you want is anything else on the menu.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

Sad salads are when you're trying to "be good" and you order a salad, and then it shows up and there's some lettuce and maybe a piece of cucumber, but not much else. And all you want is anything else on the menu.

Sad salad suck so
    Pizza and beer is better
    But don't shed a tear
  • senecarr

But, but
    http://womenlaughingalonewithsalad.tumblr.com/page/21
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2016

Perhaps I said "we" because I see it as us all being together. It hadn't occurred to me that "they" are separate from me. We're all part of the same human race. That's why I said we. Ultimately, we'll all share the same fate. Everything will either hurt us all or uplift us all.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

But, but

Ugh, that is so 5 years ago. :neutral:
  • auddii

But, but

Well maybe I'm just addicted to sadness.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

Perhaps I said "we" because I see it as us all being together. It hadn't occurred to me that "they" are separate from me. We're all part of the same human race. That's why I said we. Ultimately, we'll all share the same fate. Everything will either hurt us all or uplift us all.

But we won't all share the same fate. There are millions of children suffering horrible fates (illness, blindness, death...) because they do not have access to proper nutrition. It's not likely that you'll ever even witness this firsthand, let alone share the same fate.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member

We very nearly did starve to death. Several times. The current population can only be sustained because of the innovations brought about by the Green Revolution. Food security is a critical step in a country reaching first world status.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famines
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member

But, but

A sadness addict! Must be the dopamine. ;)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member

Death? That's obvious. However our journey to this fate will vary greatly.
  • senecarr

But, but

Like digestion to the end, always the end
    So when you found that it could not make nutrients
    Well you said that it could still be seconds
    But you'll admit you glad that course was over?

But you didn't have to log it off
    Make out like it never happened and was zero calorie
This discussion has been closed.