I love cheese.

What makes me crave cheese SO BADLY and what alternative might curb that craving?

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Cheese is AMAZING! But I prefer Mac and Bloo.

Cheese LOVES cereal, but not as much as chocolate milk.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I eat cheese every day.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    I love cheese too! Don't know why, don't care why. Lol, I just eat it! I do find a pricier, sharper cheese satisfies me in a smaller portion though.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Love cheese, you can make it fit.
  • lauraanne19862016
    lauraanne19862016 Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2016
    I am a definite food addict and am trying to learn to control my cravings. Unfortunately, cheese is one of those triggers that makes me binge, so I'd like to learn to make cheese a treat rather than an every day thing, but I crave it every single day!
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    There are decent alternatives to full fat cheese if you're going to eat a lot of it daily. Laughing cow cheese has been a great find.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I try to make cheese fit into my calories as often as possible. Most cheese "substitutes" just don't cut it.

But two things I do use - Pollyo string cheese (not the fat-free or 2%) only 80 calories each and I think they're yummy. And Laughing Cow cheese wedges - I love the Garlic & Herb, I use it as a sandwich spread instead of mayo, mix it into eggs, melt it into rice or quinoa, spread it onto an English muffin, etc.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Kraft cheese has a Swiss that is called slim sized which I use in sandwiches. Just a little calorie bump but not much.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    I agree with using stronger cheese, and put it in things. 1 oz of a strong feta in an omelette is awesome! An oz or so of a strong blue cheese in salad, same thing. Get pepper jack string cheese instead of regular. That way you satisfy the craving but don't go overboard. Also cheese is a good one to weigh and pre-log so it doesn't sneak up on you. I don't know of a substitute.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    I love cheese too. It's practically a staple doing low carb. :)
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Also, good cheese tends to come in smaller packages and is more expensive, so it's a bit harder to binge on.
  • emmam1212
    emmam1212 Posts: 67 Member
    Why find a cheese alternative when there are lower calorie options of the real thing?! I eat at least one light string cheese a day. Only 50 calories! Parmesan is pretty low cal too. Laughing cow is great. Like 35 calories a wedge. You don't have to give it up!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited March 2016
    I think it's worth its calories, in reasonable portions. Some varieties have a better protein to calorie ratio than others, which is important to me. But I regularly eat string cheese, parmesan, feta, chevre, and more.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I adore cheese, and could eat soooo much in one day. I do have portions of the delicious bitey cheddar I love, but tips I have for cutting the calories without cutting the quality (lets face it, almost all low fat cheese is rubbish) are:

Use grated parmesan on dishes instead of cheddar - lots of flavour for a lot less cheese

Use goats cheese and fetta in salads and omelettes - lovely and bitey but lower calories and you need less

Use Laughing Cow triangles to replace cheddar in cooking - it's great in bakes, amazing in mashed potato and melts deliciously when used to stuff chicken breasts and the like. A fav at my house is Laughing Cow cheese stuffed chicken breasts, browned then baked in salsa.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Low calorie cheese is a great option. You could also experiment with dairy free cheese, which doesn't have casein (regarded as the "addictive" ingredient in cheese) in it. I have enjoyed the dairy free variety greatly, as I get the full cheesy flavor and texture, but I don't feel like I need to eat a bunch of it at once.

Try out a few different ways of eating cheese. Maybe in that way, you can trick yourself into being satisfied with a smaller portion. It's totally possible.
  • kwohl
    kwohl Posts: 58 Member
    Laughing Cow Light Jalapeño Cheese is my new favorite
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    I am a definite food addict and am trying to learn to control my cravings. Unfortunately, cheese is one of those triggers that makes me binge, so I'd like to learn to make cheese a treat rather than an every day thing, but I crave it every single day!

I hear you. I love cheese, too (with bread)! But the calories, fat and sodium aren't worth it to me most days so it's now a treat for me, too. I had to stay away from it for awhile (like 3 or 4 months), to shake that craving. Now I eat a small serving of some really good cheese, like in a nice restaurant, with a good glass of wine, once every blue moon.
  • amygatl
    amygatl Posts: 12 Member
    tuzs26qaak1a.jpeg
    Oooooo, an opportunity to post this pic
    I eat cheese most days, just make it fit.
  • TickleAnn
    TickleAnn Posts: 21 Member
    Babybel Light are 50 calories each and the closest "diet" cheese to the real thing that I've found.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Cheese is AMAZING! But I prefer Mac and Bloo.

Cheese LOVES cereal, but not as much as chocolate milk.

tumblr_ljecl49Prl1qfcxudo1_500.gif

I miss that show so badly.

For cheese cravings, I love Sargento. The cheddar is really good, and I really like the cheddar mozzarella cheese sticks. I don't try to cut back or anything, I just make sure there's room in my calories to eat some when I want to.