Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Veganism for weight loss

1235»

Replies

• MsVino
    MsVino Posts: 78 Member
    For over 20 years I was vegetarian and a few of those pescatarian then I turned vegan for a year. Recently I've return to vegetarianism to help increase my healthy fat consumption for a keto diet. In my experience I wouldn't consider vegan/vego as a weight lose tool. Both lifestyles allow you the choice to reduce/increase your macro percentages while fulfilling your nutritional needs. I suspect most individual who experiences weight lose after choosing to become either vego/vegan have likely reduced or eliminated processed foods. I'm sure there are other explanations for weight lose after the switch but this to be a common occurrence. I have always considered myself to be a reasonably clean eater but realised once I went vegan and had to pay a lot more attention to detail that I was consuming quite a few nastys unknowingly.

Re the comment about vegans having a hard time finding palatable proteins, funniest thing I've read all day.
  • ohhello35
    ohhello35 Posts: 2 Member
    When I was vegan I gained weight. I wasn't healthy about it though. It's really about eating a balanced diet, whatever diet you choose to follow...
  • Zmac34
    Zmac34 Posts: 32 Member
    I have stuck to eating a vegan whole foods which are organic at 50/50 raw to cooked with maintaining a macro nutrient ratio of 60-30-10 carb-fat-protein. I have went from 34% body fat to 25% body fat and 32% muscle mass to 36% muscle mass and increased my bone density in just 2 months. My staple foods include avocados, potatoes, sweet potatoes, lentils, white rice, bananas, olives, and macadamia nuts. I also combine this with intermittent fasting, HIT training, weight training with compound lifts, reverse pyramid, and hill sprints. I've gone from 193 to 170lbs at 5'11." No supplements just real whole foods and filtered water.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Zmac34 wrote: »
    I have stuck to eating a vegan whole foods which are organic at 50/50 raw to cooked with maintaining a macro nutrient ratio of 60-30-10 carb-fat-protein. I have went from 34% body fat to 25% body fat and 32% muscle mass to 36% muscle mass and increased my bone density in just 2 months. My staple foods include avocados, potatoes, sweet potatoes, lentils, white rice, bananas, olives, and macadamia nuts. I also combine this with intermittent fasting, HIT training, weight training with compound lifts, reverse pyramid, and hill sprints. I've gone from 193 to 170lbs at 5'11." No supplements just real whole foods and filtered water.

How was your body fat, muscle mass and bone density measured?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

Given he mentioned bone density, I'd bet DEXA scan. They're good results. I lost a half pound of bone going from 202 to 181.
  • Zmac34

With a bioelectrical impedance scale. I will be having a DEXA scan this April for an even more accurate measurement of these categories.
  • Zmac34
    senecarr wrote: »

Given he mentioned bone density, I'd bet DEXA scan. They're good results. I lost a half pound of bone going from 202 to 181.

Do you have osteoperosis? How did you lose that much bone mass?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

My bf scale shows bone density (not that I believe it as the bf% is way off)
  • Zmac34
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I believe there is such a thing, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if the vegan lifestyle would help or hurt weight loss/ muscles in any way, but I do know that one would have to search extra-hard for palatable protein sources other than meat.

I hope you're joking about palatable sources of protein. Palatable is all personal though what you grew up eating is normally what you will like. If you grew up on a farm and ate a ton of meat then you will believe it is great. But IMO people can look at eating meat in this way

Meat: eww dead rotting carcus flesh and blood of animals
    Fish: Gross scaly smelly slimy fish
    Eggs: Gross aborted period of a dirty bird that comes out of it's *kitten*
    Milk: Puss that comes out of the tits of another animal force fed GMO grains
    insects: no reason to explain why that's nasty.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I believe there is such a thing, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if the vegan lifestyle would help or hurt weight loss/ muscles in any way, but I do know that one would have to search extra-hard for palatable protein sources other than meat.

I hope you're joking about palatable sources of protein. Palatable is all personal though what you grew up eating is normally what you will like. If you grew up on a farm and ate a ton of meat then you will believe it is great. But IMO people can look at eating meat in this way

Meat: eww dead rotting carcus flesh and blood of animals
    Fish: Gross scaly smelly slimy fish
    Eggs: Gross aborted period of a dirty bird that comes out of it's *kitten*
    Milk: Puss that comes out of the tits of another animal force fed GMO grains
    insects: no reason to explain why that's nasty.

For the first five years of my life i was a vegan, and then i have incorporated dairy and eggs into my diet. I am a lifelong vegetarian and so this is exactly how i see meat.

It is not even remotely appetizing, stinks, and is disgusting. I also see no difference in eating a cow and someone eating my pet cat.

So i would agree with this.
  • psuLemon

With a bioelectrical impedance scale. I will be having a DEXA scan this April for an even more accurate measurement of these categories.

I wouldn't put too much into those readings. Bioimpedance machines are horribly inaccurate. It will be interesting to see what a dexa shows as a comparison.
  • Zmac34

I wouldn't put too much into those readings. Bioimpedance machines are horribly inaccurate. It will be interesting to see what a dexa shows as a comparison.

I wouldn't say they're all horribly inaccurate. I imagine most are within 3-5% error and I found the best one I possibly could at a reasonable price but I would still like to have a DEXA scan just to validate the accuracy to see if it's high or low.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

Do you have osteoperosis? How did you lose that much bone mass?

Osteoporosis? I'm in the top 10% to 20% of density for my age, gender, and ethnicity, with those already being the highest density groups (30s white males), and that is after that loss.
  • psuLemon

I wouldn't say they're all horribly inaccurate. I imagine most are within 3-5% error and I found the best one I possibly could at a reasonable price but I would still like to have a DEXA scan just to validate the accuracy to see if it's high or low.

There are a ton of variables and depending on set up, it can range a lot. Even on my scale, i have seen an 8 to 10% body fat difference as compared to calipers.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-4-the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-parts-3-and-4-bod-pod-and-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/the-pitfalls-of-bodyfat-measurement-part-4-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/
This discussion has been closed.