Vitasia Noddles

2»

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    So the problem here is that you've been counting a whole packet as one serving, when in fact it's four? Yeah, that's your fault, not MFP's.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    motyndall wrote: »
    I have never written on this app before and I am now writing to express my extreme anger. I have been very carefully counting calories since new year's day 2015. I have scanned and weighed loyally and rigidly and have only today discovered it has been a complete waste of time. I SCANNED THE PACKETS OF VITASIA NOODLE SOUPS AND WAS GIVEN TO BELIEVE THAT THE 108 GRAM PACKET I WAS EATING WAS ONLY 124 CALORIES. I AM ANGRY BEYOND BELIEF. I can never trust this app again. I eat these damn noodles nearly every day and try to make them healthy by mixing in fresh vegetables such as Pak Choi, mushrooms, bean sprouts, scallions ect. I have only just now discovered that half a packet is actually 245 calories, so I have been eating 500 calories not the 124 that this app was telling me. I am sick to the back teeth of counting calories, over 400 days now, and getting nowhere. I HATE MY FITNESS PAL!!!!!!

@motyndall I'm sorry that happened to you...what a mess. I'd be mad too. I don't scan my food, I input it manually but if I was at the store and wanted to check something and scanned it I'd like to think I could trust it otherwise what's the point of having a scanner to use. That makes no sense at all!

I think a lot of ppl are jumping on others expecting that everyone on MFP knows how messed up the database can be sometimes. It's obvious from the many threads that not everyone is aware of it. I never trust it, I always have a pkg. in hand or use the USDA site and something when I'm ridiculously OCD I check even another site to compare.

Pkg. sizes, label, ingredients change constantly... the only things I trust are what's on the pkg. label or what's already in my food diary. Could those now be wrong? Absolutely but I'd go crazier if I worried about that too.

I gotta call limits on my crazy. lol I can understand the frustration in finding out you're been eating something via scanning it and then one day you find out someone that added it to the database totally screwed it up when they input it.

I'm done, too nice a day to ramble... :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    It doesn't actually sound like this is a messed up database problem. It sounds like a user error problem.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It doesn't actually sound like this is a messed up database problem. It sounds like a user error problem.

Correct. According to the OP's original post, she used that entry for over a year and never looked at the information or double checked against the label. The OP is upset because she has the expectation that all of the data in the database has been professionally screened. That's simply an unreasonable expectation for a free app.

MFP has lots of bugs, bad data, and poor design assumptions. The app scanning feature promotes an extra level in trust in that matching, and doesn't provide a good way to signal that entries are bad. The OP's problem, however, could have been avoided in less than a minute by taking some time to check.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Correct. According to the OP's original post, she used that entry for over a year and never looked at the information or double checked against the label. The OP is upset because she has the expectation that all of the data in the database has been professionally screened. That's simply an unreasonable expectation for a free app.

MFP has lots of bugs, bad data, and poor design assumptions. The app scanning feature promotes an extra level in trust in that matching, and doesn't provide a good way to signal that entries are bad. The OP's problem, however, could have been avoided in less than a minute by taking some time to check.

Or realizing that a serving is 1/4 of a packet, not a whole packet.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Do you trust everything in your life without verifying it in any way? Yikes.
    Do some research. Here's a good start for getting your head around estimates and inconsistencies:
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/
  • tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    A bad workman always blames his tools; and that is all that MFP is - a tool to be used. If you don't learn to use a tool properly then you will foul up or hurt yourself.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    tomw86 wrote: »
    A bad workman always blames his tools; and that is all that MFP is - a tool to be used. If you don't learn to use a tool properly then you will foul up or hurt yourself.

Do you think when someone joins here their first thought is ...uh oh that database is likely wrong I better use USDA instead. I know I trusted this one... though back then in 08 there were a whole lot less entries and members. Maybe that's why the trust came easier. I dunno...but the trust is gone now. lol

I think what you shared about tools makes a lot of sense...it's a good way for us to think of it.

Sometimes though when I see a thread like this it really makes me wonder how many other members just click something for their diary and move on.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    tomw86 wrote: »

Do you think when someone joins here their first thought is ...uh oh that database is likely wrong I better use USDA instead. I know I trusted this one... though back then in 08 there were a whole lot less entries and members. Maybe that's why the trust came easier. I dunno...but the trust is gone now. lol

I think what you shared about tools makes a lot of sense...it's a good way for us to think of it.

Sometimes though when I see a thread like this it really makes me wonder how many other members just click something for their diary and move on.

Lots. And often they then don't lose, and either start a thread here asking why, or quit. Often when they start a thread asking why, they get mad if it is suggested that they're not logging accurately. The lucky (smart?) ones listen, tighten up their logging and start having success.

I too don't get how the OP says that the database entry is the same as the packet, but MFP is wrong - if OP has misread serving size, then that's user error.