Low cal hummus?

Does anyone know a good brand or a recipe to make low cal hummus?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Use less oil?
    Mush up some chick peas and add Greek yogurt and flavourings.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    There is such a thing as cauliflower hummus, I know it's not authentic but it's a thing.
  • FredDoyle
    There is such a thing as cauliflower hummus, I know it's not authentic but it's a thing.

Cool, but yuck. :)
    Now it's cauliflower mush.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    I blend chickpeas from a can with garlic and chilli, no oil, super yum!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    You can also make baba ganoush with eggplant that's super low cal. Or for actual hummus try chickpeas, Lemon juice, and Greek yogurt to add that creamy element
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Entered this in my recipes - blend all together, works out at 63 cals a serving (makes 4 servings)

120g (half a can drained) chickpeas
    Juice of half a lemon
    One teaspoon toasted sesame oil
    Two tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
    Salt and/or pepper to taste
  • FredDoyle
    Entered this in my recipes - blend all together, works out at 63 cals a serving (makes 4 servings)

120g (half a can drained) chickpeas
    Juice of half a lemon
    One teaspoon toasted sesame oil
    Two tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
    Salt and/or pepper to taste

No garlic. -1 ;)
  • xoxotmc
    xoxotmc Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016

I blend chickpeas with some parboiled cauliflower (about 50/50) to cut down on the carb calories but still retain the hummus flavor. I also don't put any oil, just a smidgen of garlic and tahini. Guy above is on to something with the greek yogurt and eggplant ideas. :)
  • FredDoyle
    xoxotmc wrote: »

I blend chickpeas with some parboiled cauliflower (about 50/50) to cut down on the carb calories but still retain the hummus flavor. I also don't put any oil, just a smidgen of garlic and tahini. Guy above is on to something with the greek yogurt and eggplant ideas. :)

Tahini has oil, but could be considered flavouring as I put in the second post along with the Greek yogurt.
    However, I don't have a muscley picture so it probably isn't as scientific.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    No garlic. -1 ;)

Haha, hate the stuff, reminds me of mornings on the Tube crushed up with garlic-breathed commuters! But adding it won't increase cals much? Dunno.

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    The lowest cal store bought that i have found is cedars original.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    The calories and taste come mostly from the tahini oil (ground sesame seeds). If you make hummus at home, you can use the garbanzo beans and use less tahini or use part tahini and something else instead like a few table spoons of un flavored yogurt.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited March 2016
  • buzz28camaro
    buzz28camaro Posts: 49 Member
    edited March 2016
    Engine 2 hummus (only available at Whole Foods) is probably the lowest calorie hummus available to purchase.

Edit: just checked and it is 200 calories per cup, or 25 calories per 2 tbsp serving.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited March 2016
    You can also make baba ganoush with eggplant that's super low cal. Or for actual hummus try chickpeas, Lemon juice, and Greek yogurt to add that creamy element

Hahaa funny story:

I was going through the checkout at the green grocer, and I was buying eggplant. The friend I was with asked what I was going to do with it, and I said "make babaganoush". The checkout girl stops checking my produce and looks outraged and the following exchange occurs:

Her: What did you say?
    Me: Uh... make babaganoush?
    Her: That's my word! I made it up! It's what I call my boyfriend!
    Me: Uhhh.... it's Turkish eggplant dip. You can buy it in the fridge section.
    Her: ...... really?
    Me: Yeah. Yeah, it's a real word. It's dip.
    Her: Oh. Oh, man. I didn't know. *keeps checking my produce, looking like she just died a little inside*...
  • sarebear207
    sarebear207 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you all for the replies! The story about the checkout girl just made my day!
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    I suggest you look around the grocery store. I'm lucky enough to have a store near me that also makes it from scratch. I think 30cals per tablespoon is pretty decent. I love eating it with pita bread.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    The cookbook "Appetite for Reduction" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz has several lower-calorie hummus recipes. I've tried them all, they're very tasty.