Yoga question

Does anyone know if it is typical to feel nauseous after finishing a yoga session? This has happened a third time now. I have never experienced this with any other type of workout/exercise. I am brand new to yoga and have been doing it for about three weeks now. I have really enjoyed the daily yoga challenge I have been doing, but I certainly don't like this feeling. Thanks.

Replies

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    No, not usual. Are you eating right before? Try adjusting that. Some people do better with a small snack, others (me) feel much better if the exercise is done fasted. There's a lot of twisting and it kind of squishes your middle.

Also if you aren't used to being upside down and sideways so much, maybe it's a little disorienting for your mind.

But no, I haven't heard of this as a usual thing.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    What kind of Yoga?

I've known very unfit people struggle a bit in Ashtanga Vinyasa with all the up/down sun salutations and the sheer pace of it etc.

I've also known people to feel a bit whoozy in Bikram due to the heat.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    No, it's not normal. I agree with previous posters.

Food can be a contributer. Eating too soon before or eating the "wrong" thing (what is considered wrong depends on the person. People handle different foods in different ways) too soon. Or not eating enough.

Experiment with different things have see if any of it helps.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    It's not normal unless it is hot yoga (Bikram). Though I did have to leave a regular class once to through up. I had eaten a very late lunch and it was not enough digesting time.

speak to your yoga instructor for tips.

and the obvious-are you pregnant?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    KiyaK wrote: »
    No, it's not normal. I agree with previous posters.

Food can be a contributer. Eating too soon before or eating the "wrong" thing (what is considered wrong depends on the person. People handle different foods in different ways) too soon. Or not eating enough.

Experiment with different things have see if any of it helps.

I'm thinking this^

With reflux, I have to be careful of what I eat before yoga.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Only if I just ate
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 126 Member
    Thank you for all the suggestions. Thinking back, I did have heavier meals prior to yoga class. I'll definitely watch that from now on. Hopefully it is that simple.
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 126 Member
    meritage4 wrote: »
    and the obvious-are you pregnant?

You made me giggle on this one. Not even a possibility anymore.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Also, make sure you aren't holding your breath. Tell your teacher when you begin to feel nauseated.
  • ashtoncm394
    ashtoncm394 Posts: 10 Member
    That used to happen to me when I did certain poses...I realized (most likely) I was compressing my phrenic nerve when I was doing poses that require neck extension, which was causing a sudden bout of nausea. Maybe this is happening to you? Take it easy on the neck extension next class and see if that helps.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    This happened to me when I first started yoga, and having mentioned it to others it turns out that although it's not "usual" it isn't so uncommon either. I s/w my yoga teacher and she suggested a number of things - timing your previous meal, as others have suggested; eating something different (for some reason I can eat whole wheat bread with a little honey much closer to class than oatmeal, and since I don't want to get up any earlier, guess what's for breakfast on yoga class day!!); not dropping your head too fast or coming up too fast - some people get headaches from that but some people are affected in the tummy and get nausea instead. You might also be getting dehydrated.

If you Google "yoga nausea" you'll get all kinds of hits, some of which will make more sense to you than others - I don't suggest this so you will necessarily find the "right" answer on line, but only to reassure you that there are LOTS of people out there looking for a similar solution so you are definitely not alone!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i generally don't recommend eating close to class and eat light 1-2 hours prior to class.
    also make sure you are hydrated in class. sip, don't chug.

you might want to try some ginger tea/gum/candy/ale before class and it might help
  • jennkaufer89
    jennkaufer89 Posts: 69 Member
    Does anyone know if it is typical to feel nauseous after finishing a yoga session? This has happened a third time now. I have never experienced this with any other type of workout/exercise. I am brand new to yoga and have been doing it for about three weeks now. I have really enjoyed the daily yoga challenge I have been doing, but I certainly don't like this feeling. Thanks.

This is definitely not uncommon. As many have recommended, don't eat 2 to 3 hours before class if possible. Second, get really, really hydrated. The asanas cause you to impact blood flow (inversions, etc.) so being hydrated will help counterbalance some of the weirdness you might be feeling in your stomach.

Also, I'd pay attention to your back bending poses (camel, locus, wheel etc.) and really check in with yourself to see if you're pushing past your edge. Back bending has a tendency to bring up feelings of nausea if your lower back muscles aren't the strongest.

Hope this information helps!

Source: I've done 5.5 years of yoga, and am moving towards teacher training in 2017
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    I have actually had to stop to be sick before doing yoga other times it makes me feel a bit nauseous, other times the same poses have no effect or make me feel great! I do try to do it on an empty stomach as much as I can now which has helped.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I went through that a touch. Especially when I was upside down in the beginning.
  • nlkklrocks
    nlkklrocks Posts: 26 Member
    A few of my friends experience vertigo while doing yoga (particularly downward dog) - if you're practicing on your own, cut out any poses that are upside down (down dog, forward bend) - see if it alleviates the problem.